Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Yes, but does this mean we no longer need to use gift certificates?

So, it looks like many of the geographic restrictions on Kindle books have been removed. All the titles I've checked on the Kindle front page now state that the price includes "international wireless delivery" (although not all books are available in all countries). Amazon UK says that over 280,000 books from the US Kindle store are now available in the UK.

This should mean we can abandon the use of gift certificates, vritual credit cards and similar kludges, and pay with a credit card registered to a non-US address.

Have I understood it right? My problem is that I can't test this because I have a fairly large balance on my gift cert. account, and there's no way to force it to charge the credit card.

Also, I assume that you don't actually need the new international version of the Kindle to take advantage of this (unless of course you want to use the wireless access).
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Only time wll time, I suspect, Mike. Logically, you are right, but in reality - who knows?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
LucasCorso
Enthusiast
LucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
I have been browsing the Kindle store for some books and unfortunatelly, the ones I want to buy are not available for my region (Europe). Copyright reasons, it was mentioned.
I will wait a few days to see if it's worth registering my device on my real account or the one I've created using a fake US mail address.
LucasCorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
The three I really want, are... But I still can't buy them, due to a lack of a Kindle or a fruit product.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A bit more information ....

If you go to the Kindle store without logging in, or by logging in to a non-US account, you can only see books available in your country. But if you log in to the account that has your gift certificates, you can see all titles.

(At least, that's what I saw based on my own quick test. I didn't test in exhaustively.)

So, in some ways, we're no better off. We must either (i) stick with the gift certificates to access the entire Kindle store; or (ii) use a legit payment method, and stick to books available in your country.

It will be interesting to see how this develops.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
It depends on you country, I'm afraid. I've gone to the Kindle Store with my Spanish account and I see almost all the titles (more than 270.000), but quite more expensive.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
LucasCorso
Enthusiast
LucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Logged in with my real account, I can't find, for example, "A briefer history of time" - Kindle edition, but some paperbacks are available. With the fake "american" account (and I didn't use a US proxy), I can find it (and probably can buy it).
Earlier today with the real account I could find the kindle edition but got a message "not available in your region". Now it's not there at all anymore, so I guess they are still working on things...

P.S. I wonder if Amazon is reading these forums and addapt their policies based on what they find out their customers are trying...

Last edited by LucasCorso; 10-07-2009 at 10:40 AM.
LucasCorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
If you go to the Kindle store without logging in, or by logging in to a non-US account, you can only see books available in your country. But if you log in to the account that has your gift certificates, you can see all titles.
I see now I was wrong about that. What you see isn't governed by the account you log into.

There's a drop-down list in the top left of the screen where you select your country or region. If you set that to USA, you see all the titles; if you set it to another country, you see the titles available in that country.

Interestingly, there are separate entries for United Kingdom and Europe, which seems a bit illogical. If a book is listed under Europe but not under UK, surely a UK reader should still be able to buy it.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Interestingly, there are separate entries for United Kingdom and Europe, which seems a bit illogical. If a book is listed under Europe but not under UK, surely a UK reader should still be able to buy it.
For some peculiar reason, a fair number of people seem to be under the impression that the UK is not a part of Europe. This has always been a pet hate of mine .

The reason in this case, however, is almost without doubt the fact that many books have separate UK and US publishers, and hence Amazon will not be permitted to sell the US edition to people in the UK, but will be able to supply it to the rest of Europe.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Doesn't UK still use pounds? The split may be mostly due to the Euro/Pound situation than anything else.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I don't think that other countries get a subset of Kindle books available for US. It's possible (although unlikely for most books) for some title Amazon would find a more easy-going publisher in a foreign country while the holder of publishing rights in US would refuse to make the book digital.

It would be interesting to see if there are any such cases.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:52 AM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Do you think it will be related with the rest of Europe not speaking English, so no UK publishers there?
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:23 AM   #13
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For some peculiar reason, a fair number of people seem to be under the impression that the UK is not a part of Europe. This has always been a pet hate of mine .
Yes, I find that annoying as well. Even people in the UK are guilty of it (as in "I'm going on a trip from Edinburgh to Europe").

Quote:
The reason in this case, however, is almost without doubt the fact that many books have separate UK and US publishers, and hence Amazon will not be permitted to sell the US edition to people in the UK, but will be able to supply it to the rest of Europe.
That sounds plausible. Ideally, they should say "Europe except UK" instead of simply "Europe", but I suppose that wouldn't be practical.

Pshrynk, no I doubt if it's anything to do with the currency. There are many countries in Europe that don't use the euro. In any case, that wouldn't affect the geographic restrictions on the titles.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:28 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Also of mine

Quote:
BoB has the same. If you go to the UK site, you get less books. (as I'm not UK, I'll just go to the US version )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:13 AM   #15
mack 120
Enthusiast
mack 120 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPad, Samsung NC10, IPhone 3GS, iMac, Sony PRS505 (broke)
Interesting to hear your comments.
I have taken the plunge and pre ordered the Kindle 2 from the US Amazon site yesterday. Did have a Sony PRS 505, but screen broke. Really miss using the reader and hoping for a better experience from Amazon than i had with Sony.
Im just wondering if it possible to set up two accounts. A US and a UK account?

Did used the Sony book store with gift certificates work around.
Also do any of you know of a way to convert my sony library to to Kindle??
My other thought is, if they can be converted i could still use the Sony Store (although limited) as a form of some cheap US content

Thanks for comments in advance

mack 120
mack 120 is offline   Reply With Quote