Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
New Ipad User

New Ipad user here, coming from Kindle eink, and Android tablet using Moon Reader.

I've been looking for good reading apps for my Mini, and I was wondering, is there ANY app for ios that shows percentage read or remaining time left in book, ala Kindle or Moon Reader. So far I've been using Marvin 3, and I like it, but I'm really missing having that percentage/time remaining thing while I read.

It's just SO hard getting used to new apps!
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Well the Kindle for iOS app does that. I only use the Kindle app for reading, so I don't know what other apps offer.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:07 PM   #3
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by diremommy View Post
New Ipad user here, coming from Kindle eink, and Android tablet using Moon Reader.

I've been looking for good reading apps for my Mini, and I was wondering, is there ANY app for ios that shows percentage read or remaining time left in book, ala Kindle or Moon Reader. So far I've been using Marvin 3, and I like it, but I'm really missing having that percentage/time remaining thing while I read.

It's just SO hard getting used to new apps!
MapleRead shows the percentage remaining, though not the time remaining. That works for me, as I'd rather not have the time remaining showing up there! MapleRead also offers a variety of background colors/themes.

I use Moon Reader on an Android e-Ink device. MapleRead is about the closest thing I've seen yet to Moon on iOS. It has many customizable features. If you're ever used Calibre Companion on Android, there is a Calibre Companion for iOS. MapleRead plays very nicely with it.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #4
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
MapleRead shows the percentage remaining, though not the time remaining. That works for me, as I'd rather not have the time remaining showing up there! MapleRead also offers a variety of background colors/themes.

I use Moon Reader on an Android e-Ink device. MapleRead is about the closest thing I've seen yet to Moon on iOS. It has many customizable features. If you're ever used Calibre Companion on Android, there is a Calibre Companion for iOS. MapleRead plays very nicely with it.
I was looking at MapleRead, but all the different editions confused me. I want to read, and I get my books by connecting directly to Calibre's content server, so would I want the CE or the SE? They don't have a free "check it out" version, and it's tough, outfitting apps for a whole new device.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:24 PM   #5
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
The main difference between CE and SE is that SE allows you to read pdfs on it. Most other features are the same. I have the CE. If you don't want to read pdfs on the reader, CE will be fine for you.

You can also check out this forum for more info: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=276074
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
diremommy
Zealot

I don't read PDFs generally, so I'll try the CE. Thanks again!
Old 03-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
In Marvin 3 you can customize the headers/footers to display percentage read for the book and/or the current chapter. To do this, go to Epub Settings/Header and Footer and choose "custom". You can choose different headers/footers for even and odd pages. I don't know of any way to display the estimated time remaining in the chapter though.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:47 PM   #8
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by diremommy View Post
I was looking at MapleRead, but all the different editions confused me. I want to read, and I get my books by connecting directly to Calibre's content server, so would I want the CE or the SE? They don't have a free "check it out" version, and it's tough, outfitting apps for a whole new device.
Actually the differences between the 3 editions are very clear. As found on the Overview page on their website:
Quote:
There are 3 editions, SE, CE and CX where SE and CE are for iPad, and CX is for iPhone. While CX is functionally the same as CE, SE is the most powerful edition with additional PDF Viewer and built-in OPDS/HTML server, which is very unique among ebook readers.
FYI, I bought MapleRead SE, as I liked (and still like) their PDF viewer that let me change the background color, and its unique server, that let my iPad acts as an OPDS server for all my iOS and Android (yes, Android) devices.

Moreover there is a free "check it out" version. See their FAQ Can I test drive MapleRead for free on my iPad too?

Last, but not least, this app is still under very active development. Look at their What's New page. There are already 4 substantial releases since the beginning of 2017 so far. In fact, they've just released v1.6.6 earlier today.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote