Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-28-2023, 04:51 PM   #1
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Bluetooth Wireless Over-Ear Headphones

I have been wearing headphones outside to listen to music and podcasts for several years. I wore the corded ones until November 2020 when I ordered the Bose QC 35II for 2/3rds of the list price on Cyber Monday. They were pretty good, but loose fitting, the sound inferior to the corded V-Modas that I had. They are not all that they are hyped up to be. They were pretty, in pink. Lots of people commented about them and sometimes I wondered if they were about to take them off my head and steal, but that didn't happen.

Last week the Bose wouldn't charge and I was stuck outside with only the cord, which worked sometimes but would cut off (for unknown reason -- cord was unused so not a short in it). I looked on the Bose site and eventually learned after I put the serial number in that they don't repair them and they don't replace the battery. My only options were to upgrade to or replace to the 45 model for $209 (list price is $329 U.S.). I decided to look for a different set of headphones and ordered Sennheiser HD 450BT.

I hope I did right. They arrived yesterday from BH. The charging light only showed when plugged into my macbook and not when I plugged into a charger to wall plug or power strip. I don't know why. The power controls are small and I hope to be able to feel them correctly, at least the power button. I didn't use the small buttons on the Bose, just the on/off. I will take them outside for the first time today. The sound is superior to the Bose from the bit of listening I've done so far. The fit is rather snug and the reviews say the headphone cushioning does not breathe, so it will be sweaty in hot weather. Most reviews were good though, especially for the cost. (List $199 but they were $129 for now at Amazon and BH Photo).

I just wondered what others who use over-ear headphones are using and what your thoughts are. Do you spend a premium amount, say over $300? Did you find the controls on the headphones easy or difficult to use? What brand and model do you like or have? Any thoughts about headphones?
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:10 PM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post

I hope I did right. They arrived yesterday from BH. The charging light only showed when plugged into my macbook and not when I plugged into a charger to wall plug or power strip. I don't know why. ...
B&H has great customer service. I'd give them a call to get their take on this.

I only use corded headphones -- and I've been a big fan of Koss headphones since the 70s. When I'm out walking I use a pair of Porta Pro headphones. I have a pair of Pro 4AAT Titanium headphones for the home stereo. I have a couple of low cost headphones I use with my computers.

The one big exception to my Koss routine is a pair of Able Planet noise cancelling headphones that I got a few years ago -- but they were on sale for $50. They're excellent, especially for the price, but I haven't seen them anywhere else since then. They might have been a closeout.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2023, 06:34 PM   #3
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I have used my new Sennheiser headphones once so far while being out. They sound very good and much better than the Bose did. I have only listened to podcasts so far.

When I press the button to turn them on, a voice says on and then connected (bluetooth) but it doesn't tell you if the ANC noise cancellation is working. I think the light goes from blue to purple, but if they are on my head, I can't see it. This was mentioned in some reviews I saw on youtube. The reviewers mostly like the sound, look and price. They aren't too pleased with the features for phone calls. I am not on many phone calls but when I'm out I hope it will work. There is a button to use to accept the call, but it's the same one for changing volume and skipping tracks. I'll likely be taking my phone out to adjust those settings.

I don't use headphones at home unless I want to listen late at night in the bedroom. Otherwise people next door and downstairs would hear. I plan to use them inside if it gets too noisy next door or below me. People below me have people over with incessant loud laughter and chatter now and then.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote