Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-31-2015, 08:56 PM   #16
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
There is lots going with this stuff.

Yes, as Hitch has pointed out, there are authors that make egregious errors and refuse to admit them, but there are subtle distinctions that make strict adherence to formal rules inappropriate to narrative fiction (or it will feel stiff and unnatural). There are many unwritten guidelines (just like pirates have ). The trick is to read and write enough to understand those subtleties, and to be able to work and rework the text until you get it right. And, of course, get help, you can't get it right on your own.

The guidelines vary with the style of the text. First person bends different rules to third person, and so on.

Most readers have a less than perfect understanding of the rules, and even less of the subtleties. They may "feel" that there is something wrong but may be unable to express what causes that feeling. So relying on inexperienced readers for technical feedback can be a mistake.

Related to the previous point: most readers are adaptable. This is one of the reasons why writers are able to get away with so much. Yes, there are some readers that throw their arms in the air and scream but, in my experience, most don't. For example: I just read some fan-fiction with many errors, but I was having a good enough time that I was able to forgive it.

That last sentence is quite critical. If the reader isn't enjoying themselves they will find more errors (or things they think are errors). When you get lots of feedback about errors it's time to start taking another look at the story itself. Of course, you may actually have made lots of errors, but if readers are noticing them then it is likely that there is more wrong than just the obvious errors.

I always get nervous writing about this stuff, because I know how often I get things wrong in my own writing.

Last edited by gmw; 08-31-2015 at 08:58 PM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:24 PM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post

Yes, as Hitch has pointed out, there are authors that make egregious errors and refuse to admit them, but there are subtle distinctions that make strict adherence to formal rules inappropriate to narrative fiction (or it will feel stiff and unnatural). There are many unwritten guidelines (just like pirates have ). The trick is to read and write enough to understand those subtleties, and to be able to work and rework the text until you get it right. And, of course, get help, you can't get it right on your own.

The guidelines vary with the style of the text. First person bends different rules to third person, and so on.

Most readers have a less than perfect understanding of the rules, and even less of the subtleties. They may "feel" that there is something wrong but may be unable to express what causes that feeling. So relying on inexperienced readers for technical feedback can be a mistake.

Related to the previous point: most readers are adaptable. This is one of the reasons why writers are able to get away with so much. Yes, there are some readers that throw their arms in the air and scream but, in my experience, most don't. For example: I just read some fan-fiction with many errors, but I was having a good enough time that I was able to forgive it.

That last sentence is quite critical. If the reader isn't enjoying themselves they will find more errors (or things they think are errors). When you get lots of feedback about errors it's time to start taking another look at the story itself. Of course, you may actually have made lots of errors, but if readers are noticing them then it is likely that there is more wrong than just the obvious errors.

I always get nervous writing about this stuff, because I know how often I get things wrong in my own writing.
Totally agreeing with you on the errors and the story.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post

I should clarify:

I don't expect grammatically-perfect sentences in character dialogue, unless that particular character calls for it (say, an English prof, or..?). I do, however, object pretty massively to run-on sentences in narrative. They are, by and large, badly done.

I agree that the enjoyment of the book greatly affects the "find-ability" of errata.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote