Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-23-2015, 05:09 AM   #1
AnnGirdharry
Enthusiast
AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Anyone like to talk about Kobo?

hello,

I have just put four books onto Kobo via Smashwords and would like to discuss with other indie authors their experience of Kobo as a distribution platform.

Good, bad, indifferent?

It seems impossible to retrieve stats or views/downloads - or am I missing something?

thanks in advance,
Ann Girdharry
AnnGirdharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My Smashwords titles seem to be downloaded mostly at Smashwords and Apple -- about 50/50 over the long haul -- with both still going strong. I had some downloads at Barnes & Noble last year and they were a substantial fraction of my downloads before that, but none this year -- I suspect that reflects their overall tailspin.

I had a couple of downloads at Kobo a few years ago but none this year or last year. Personally, I find myself using Kobo much less often than I used to, and I suspect others are in the same boat.

You can get a pretty detailed report at Smashwords by going to the Dashboard, selecting the Sales and Payment report, and getting a Quarterly Report or the current year's Sales and Payment report -- both are best viewed in a spreadsheet.

EDIT: I've never actually looked for Page Views from other vendors, but I doubt that information gets reported to Smashwords.

Last edited by cromag; 08-23-2015 at 07:45 PM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:20 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
My novels are submitted directly to Kobo, my free short stories are distributed via Smashwords. None have shown any movement from Kobo at all. BUT, and this is an important "but", I do very little marketing. So the truth is that I see very little movement anywhere. B&N and Smashwords have seen the most movement of my recently released short stories, with a couple from Apple. (I haven't submitted the shorts to Amazon, not sure if/when I'll bother.)

A while ago I noticed Kobo (when dealing directly with them) do have some extra options for special pricing that weren't there when I first submitted. I may play with those some time.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:22 AM   #4
AnnGirdharry
Enthusiast
AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cromag - how do you get your Apple stats?
Old 08-28-2015, 10:09 PM   #5
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Through the Smashwords Dashboard. Again, no "Page Views," just "Downloads/Purchases."
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:35 AM   #6
AnnGirdharry
Enthusiast

Thank you for all the useful comments.

I also found a helpful guide from Kobo, here

http://download.kobobooks.com/writin...User-Guide.pdf

and so was finally able to add a Kobo link to my webpage
Old 09-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
Lima Bean
Groupie
Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I sold next to nothing on Kobo. I do better financially by being exclusive on Amazon.
Lima Bean is offline   Reply With Quote