Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #76
Steve H
Connoisseur
Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, Paperwhite, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
If you dont need collections, you'll be okay with the Nook. The flakiness is inherent, nothing to do with Windows. But it will work okay enough to work if you dont need to do anything fancy.

I recommend trying Koreader on a Kobo if you have one. I found it very unstable on Android, but it might work okay on the Fire.
I am new to Kobo(own multiple Kindles). What do you like about Koreader?
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:33 PM   #77
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kova4a View Post
I'm sure that Amazon has been delaying the implementation of warm light because they were trying to figure out what works best and probably reached the same conclusion.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #78
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I recommend trying Koreader on a Kobo if you have one. I found it very unstable on Android, but it might work okay on the Fire.
No, it's not working very well on the Fire. Lots of options but slower than molasses in January. I was wondering what the attraction was. I do have Kobos, but they're all down in Texas right now. Will it work on the older models (like the Touch?).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:58 PM   #79
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
If you dont need collections, you'll be okay with the Nook. The flakiness is inherent, nothing to do with Windows. But it will work okay enough to work if you dont need to do anything fancy.
That was kind of my impression (just by reading various comments here). If I can "get by" with the software, I think the screen and page-turn buttons will be enough. (Could be wrong, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to try one.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #80
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
The Nook has issues. No collection of side-loaded books. Unstable software. But you can install Android apps, and the screen is amazing. If you install apss, be careful...I bricked one.
I keep hearing about problems with collections. I am not sure what you mean. Are you talking about shelves? I have shelves with my sideloaded books along side books from B&N. I have not had any problems.

I think the people who have the most problems with Nook are trying to do things it was not designed to do (like running apps). I know it is not perfect but if all you want to do is put books on it and read, it seems to work fine.

I guess everyone needs to find what works best for the way they want to use their reader. I am glad I came back to Nook. I just hope B&N can survive for a while.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #81
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I keep hearing about problems with collections. I am not sure what you mean. Are you talking about shelves? I have shelves with my sideloaded books along side books from B&N. I have not had any problems.

I think the people who have the most problems with Nook are trying to do things it was not designed to do (like running apps). I know it is not perfect but if all you want to do is put books on it and read, it seems to work fine.

I guess everyone needs to find what works best for the way they want to use their reader. I am glad I came back to Nook. I just hope B&N can survive for a while.
From what I've heard, the sideloaded books stay on the shelves until you load another batch, after that they disappear from the shelves. The problem started with the Glowlight 3 and B&N admitted the Nook shelves don't really support sideloaded books, only Nook books.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:26 PM   #82
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post

It has no collections for sideloaded books. You have to use search.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:30 PM   #83
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H View Post
I am new to Kobo(own multiple Kindles). What do you like about Koreader?
I am able to configure tbe touch screen functions with greater flexibility. I make most of the screen do a next page. Sideloaded books can be organkzed in syztem folders. Night mode. Pluz lots of other stuff.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:39 AM   #84
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The super orange is a good thing. Since you can adjust the color temperature, your screen need never be 'too orange.' But if the max screen color is the pale yellow shown in the first post, you might find it's not orange enough and you are just out of luck.

Agreed. I prefer the deep orange light, but most of all want to have a range of colors possible so I can choose. The color preference is subjective, so it's best to allow the user to select from a range of hues like on the Kobo, Nook and Onyx (i.e. basically all e-readers I'm familiar with that have a color light).
Old 06-28-2019, 01:36 PM   #85
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Quote:
The super orange is a good thing. Since you can adjust the color temperature, your screen need never be 'too orange.' But if the max screen color is the pale yellow shown in the first post, you might find it's not orange enough and you are just out of luck.
The problem is orange is the dominant screen color on the new Nook. If you watch the Good eReader review https://youtu.be/L51ehO4tGWw starting at around 7:49, you'll see the white and yellow zones are a tiny fragment of the Nook's color range. From 20% onwards it's various shades of orange, which isn't really natural.

It remains to be seen how the Oasis color temperature system works but from what I seen it's yellow tinged which is closer to the experience of actual paper and the color transition seems smoother.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:30 PM   #86
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
The problem is orange is the dominant screen color on the new Nook... the white and yellow zones are a tiny fragment of the Nook's color range. From 20% onwards it's various shades of orange, which isn't really natural.
Two things:
  1. If in the 20% range you've got yellow, then you've got yellow. Assuming your guesses on the Oasis are correct, what do you do when you want a darker color? Say... I don't know... orange?
  2. You're reading an electronic screen designed to mimic ink on paper that self illuminates and you're worried about natural?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:40 PM   #87
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The problem is orange is the dominant screen color on the new Nook. If you watch the Good eReader review https://youtu.be/L51ehO4tGWw starting at around 7:49, you'll see the white and yellow zones are a tiny fragment of the Nook's color range. From 20% onwards it's various shades of orange, which isn't really natural.
I take it you have never read by candle, Coleman lantern or similar illumination.

As for the colour range? My Kobo ereaders vary greatly in their colour range and even comparing the same model, the colour range varies. I've noticed the same on other brands of ereader with colour varying illumination.

And gee, the Oasis screen looks tiny compared to the new Nook's screen.

Quote:
It remains to be seen how the Oasis color temperature system works but from what I seen it's yellow tinged which is closer to the experience of actual paper and the color transition seems smoother.
Hmmm... depends on which paper you are looking at. The paper in most of my pulps are, putting it kindly, rather discoloured from their original beigey colouration.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:47 PM   #88
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Anyone remember when some books were printed on light green paper because it was supposed to be easier on the eyes?

Maybe someone will start a new trend and use pale lavender paper.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:10 AM   #89
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Quote:

If in the 20% range you've got yellow, then you've got yellow. Assuming your guesses on the Oasis are correct, what do you do when you want a darker color? Say... I don't know... orange?
The point is, its color range is majoritively orange. That's fine if you prefer orange lighting most of the time but not everyone does. For me, a stone white or amber is ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I take it you have never read by candle, Coleman lantern or similar illumination.
I don't mind a light orange hue but I don't want to be locked into orange all of the time either.

Quote:
As for the colour range? My Kobo ereaders vary greatly in their colour range and even comparing the same model, the colour range varies. I've noticed the same on other brands of ereader with colour varying illumination.
That's true, Nook GLP isn't the only e-reader with this problem. However, if you want to do an apples to apples comparison, the Kobo Forma has better color temperature controls than the Nook.

Quote:
And gee, the Oasis screen looks tiny compared to the new Nook's screen.
Well obviously a 7" screen will look smaller next to a 7.8" with huge bezels. I think the Oasis strikes a good balance between size and portability. Anything larger would have to be relegated to home use only.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:11 AM   #90
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I really like my Voyage. I've noticed this week that the battery is starting to lose capacity. I've been at the beach this week and can't get through a book without recharging. I don't want to spring for a new Oasis. Maybe the new paperwhite given it's water proof and I don't need to read my kindle at the beach through a quart freezer bag! (Which works fine by the way.) The other option is just get one of those battery replacement kits. I may try that first.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote