Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Top 7 Reasons the New Lenovo Tab V7’s Tablet-and-Smartphone-in-One is the Way to Go

Press release around Mobile World Congress time: https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/pr...smartphone.htm

This seem to went remarkably unnoticed.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Guys and girls. I'm excited about this device. But I'm seem to be the only one, strangely.

Engadget: Lenovo Tab V7 hands-on: Big, loud and practical

Specs on GSMarena and applause from their community.
Advert
Old 04-11-2019, 01:36 AM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
Guys and girls. I'm excited about this device. But I'm seem to be the only one, strangely.

Engadget: Lenovo Tab V7 hands-on: Big, loud and practical

Specs on GSMarena and applause from their community.
I like it too, but I am not sure that it predicates a change for me in my own usage of different devices. At least not yet.

You may have seen further than the rest of us.

Give it some time to find it's own niche or nudge other niches.

Nevertheless, your enthusiasm deserves a reward.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:26 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For my tastes, this device is too big for a phone and too small for a tablet.

Last year, I tried a Galaxy Note8 with a 6.3" display and found while using the stylus took me back to using a Palm PDA though I never got the Android Grafitti app to work properly, I couldn't use one hand to both hold the phone and dial.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:15 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Press release around Mobile World Congress time: https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/pr...smartphone.htm

This seem to went remarkably unnoticed.
The build and features look impressive, but it's too big to be a phone for me. And, being a cheapskate, it's also too expensive for me (though, for what it is, it seems pretty well priced compared to a lot of "phablets"). And, as an American (United Statesian?) it doesn't look like it will be available here even if I didn't mind the size (or price).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I'm sure I'm in a tiny minority, but I am just not interested in any phone or tablet that can't have linux installed natively.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #7
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Hmnn. I've had decent experiences with Lenovo's tablets, and I will eventually need to replace my 7" PDF reader (aka my Blackberry Playbook). This might be a possibility, if they ever sell it in Canada...
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #8
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I'm sure I'm in a tiny minority, but I am just not interested in any phone or tablet that can't have linux installed natively.
On what phones can you install Linux natively?
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
The 2009 Nokia N900 (I think that model number was later recycled) came with manufacturer installed linux. It no longer can connect in the US, so I'm making do without.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #10
avid01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
Apparently, on a lot of them. Just stay tuned as the project is in its infancy.

Last edited by avid01; 04-13-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #11
avid01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Hmnn. I've had decent experiences with Lenovo's tablets, and I will eventually need to replace my 7" PDF reader (aka my Blackberry Playbook).
I'm just curious. Do you read PDFs in reflow, or landscape mode, or specifically formatted documents to look good on small screens? (I have an obscured ebook which is a PDF formatted to look good on regular 6" E Ink screens.) I'd consider all three of these options non-standard.

Last edited by avid01; 04-13-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #12
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I tend to read gaming books on my Playbook. D&D, Shadowrun, Earthdawn, Exalted, etc. I read in portrait or landscape and zoom in on the column I'm reading (gaming books tend to go with two columns per page.) It works rather well. Landscape works particularly well when reading tables.

I also read my Girl Genius PDFs on the Playbook from time to time. Landscape with scrolling works best there.

I do not reflow PDFs. That way lies madness. :-P
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:25 AM   #13
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Apparently, on a lot of them. Just stay tuned as the project is in its infancy.
LG Nexus 5 is the only listed device that can send an SMS, and partially make a phone call, and partially do a mobile data transfer.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:55 AM   #14
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I don't like overly large phones, so it's not for me either. I still find computers superior for forums, videos and games, and I dislike reading on tablets/phones, so I don't need all the space. It will appeal to those who downsized to their phones instead of computers and tablets, though.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:49 AM   #15
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
If it had support for a stylus, and a daylight viewable (transflective) display, I'd be willing to consider it.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote