Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
Arkadian
Connoisseur
Arkadian began at the beginning.

Device: none
Why is Android's Play Books not opening ebook?

Hi there,

I think this is an issue with Google Play Books...

- Say I have received a link to an ebook which I just purchased.
- I download it on my phone and it appears in "Download"
- I click on it and tell my phone, when prompted, to open it on "Play Books", but nothing happens

Then that I email to myself that very same file I have in "Download"
- I click on the attachment to the email and
- It opens fine.

Is there some strange setting I should be aware of within Play Books or is it simply that there is some bug somewhere?
The ebook must be OK because from the email it opens fine.

Thanks for the advice.
Arkadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Google Play Books requires that you first upload an ebook to their servers before you download and read it.

That may have caused the delay you experienced.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
Arkadian
Connoisseur

NTG, thanks for that.

However I don't understand... The book is in "Download", so it is in my phone. I click on it and the phone asks me whether I want to use Play Books. I say yes and you are saying that that wouldn't work?
What should I do instead?

Also, what is the difference between clicking on something in "Download" and opening an email attachment?

I have been perusing their documentation, but found nothing on the subject.

Last edited by Arkadian; 09-28-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadian View Post
NTG, thanks for that.

However I don't understand... The book is in "Download", so it is in my phone. I click on it and the phone asks me whether I want to use Play Books. I say yes and you are saying that that wouldn't work?
What should I do instead?

Also, what is the difference between clicking on something in "Download" and opening an email attachment?

I have been perusing their documentation, but found nothing on the subject.
The ebook may have been sitting on your phone but you can't actually open it in GPB without first uploading the ebook to Google's servers. That is just how they do things.

To the best of mt knowledge, Google Play Books does not use Epub in its apps. It uses a different unknown file format:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...possibilities/

As for why it worked as an email attachment, I don't know.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:26 AM   #5
Arkadian
Connoisseur

Hi there,

but how do I go about loading it onto their server except by clicking on it?
Advert
Old 09-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadian View Post
Hi there,

but how do I go about loading it onto their server except by clicking on it?
If you use a file manager like ES File Explorer one of the choices should be 'upload to Play books'
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
Arkadian
Connoisseur

Well... what do you know... if I go under Files/downloads and then click on my file, it uploads. If I do the same from "downloads" or if this is the first time I download the file from a link, nothing happens. Methinks either there is something wrong with my phone (but it is odd that I am not the only one experiencing this issue) or there is something amiss with the shortcut.

Thanks PL