Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM   #166
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Yes, I think we agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
If you remember, the music industry didn't like the fact that most digital music was sold via the iTunes store, so they allowed music to be sold DRM free from Amazon while forcing Apple to use DRM in the iTunes store. They also didn't like the tiered pricing scheme in the iTunes store. The ploy didn't work all that well, and after a year or so, Apple forced them to start selling music DRM free at the iTunes store as well.
The music industry didn't like what Apple was doing and in a desperate attempt, they went to Amazon with a novel solution.

Unfortunately, the publishers didn't like what Amazon was doing and rather than look for a competitor or a novel solution, we got agency. Which means the publishers gain nothing by offering to sell DRM-free books via a competitor.

It would be nice if suddenly both Google Books and Apple Books sold DRM-free books in Kindle format that could easily be transferred by the common user. But I don't see that happening.

In the end, Amazon's Kindle ecosystem seems to be a publisher's best friend when it comes to ebooks.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM   #167
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yes, I think we agree.

The music industry didn't like what Apple was doing and in a desperate attempt, they went to Amazon with a novel solution.

Unfortunately, the publishers didn't like what Amazon was doing and rather than look for a competitor or a novel solution, we got agency. Which means the publishers gain nothing by offering to sell DRM-free books via a competitor.

It would be nice if suddenly both Google Books and Apple Books sold DRM-free books in Kindle format that could easily be transferred by the common user. But I don't see that happening.

In the end, Amazon's Kindle ecosystem seems to be a publisher's best friend when it comes to ebooks.
True enough, and as long as Amazon doesn't try to squeeze the publishers, they will remain best buddies.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM   #168
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
True enough, and as long as Amazon doesn't try to squeeze the publishers, they will remain best buddies.
As long as?
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:46 AM   #169
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
As long as?
Ever since Amazon caved on the agency model, things have been pretty quiet between Amazon and the big publishers. Have you heard anything about Amazon trying to squeeze the big 5?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:44 AM   #170
cgsmom
Zealot
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus, Kindle PW4, iPhone 7, iPad Air 2, NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Amazon Kindle has made some missteps, such as the Voyage and it's silly cover, but overall the progress has been impressive and affordable.
I had to do a double-take when I read that. I loved my Voyage and I loved the cover. I would still be with Kindle if it hadn't died. However, I discovered that I change hands a lot when I read and I didn't want to be rotating my reader every time so I went back to Nook. So far I am happy. Different things for different readers.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote