Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #481
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Then I'm surprised that the newer books you opened didn't overwrite the last-read cover image. Are you opening them with a third-party reading program (coolreader?, koreader?) that doesn't update that image?

I was thinking I would check the global.cfg file to make sure that the option is enabled before updating the last-read cover image, but that would not have helped in your case, since you have that option enabled. The question is why didn't the image get overwritten by the books you opened after?

In the meantime, if the image is bothering you, then you can try deleting the "system/logo/bookcover" file.

Last edited by rkomar; 12-11-2018 at 12:24 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:15 AM   #482
respect61
respect61 began at the beginning.

Device: PB 740 / Inkpad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Are you opening them with a third-party reading program (coolreader?, koreader?) that doesn't update that image?
no, I don't use third-party reading software. after reading a few comics, I deleted them from the library along with the file and from pocket cloud. then a couple of days the cover of the last comic was still on the splash screen, even if you open other books. but yesterday, after reading the epub book, the cover still changed to a book.
respect61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:12 PM   #483
el-sahef
el-sahef began at the beginning.

Device: PB 840
First of all thank you for this great application!

It is almost perfect for me. However, there is one thing that I really would like to see added:
Can you include an option to turn the screen completely white between two images when turning to the next or previous image?

I found out that the ghosting discussed in post 279 to 282 is completely eliminated on the pocketbook inkpad 1 when this is done. The page update setting is already set to "full update for every page" but this is not enough. Only when I put a white image between every manga page there was no more ghosting. The ghosting is sometimes really annoying and I would not mind if the page update takes longer when I can get rid of it.

I peeked into the code and I suppose this is the place that would need to be modified:

Code:
void show_image(ibitmap *img) {
	if (img) {
		/* Auto-rotate new images if desired. */
		if (autorot_idx && v.CheckForNewImage(img) &&
		    (layout_mode != LAYOUT_DOUBLE) &&
		    !(QueryGSensor() && GetGlobalOrientation() == -1))
			// If the default orientation is set to 180, use it for portrait
			// on devices that are rotated for left/right-handed use
			rotate_screen((img->width > img->height) ? autorot_idx :
			              (caps.lr_rotate && (default_or == 3)) ? 3: 0);
		v.SetImage(img);
		draw();
		if (!mng.IsBuffered()) {
			mng.Buffering();
			if (do_draw_panel) {
				draw_panel(pagemap);
				PartialUpdate(0, cliprect_height(), ScreenWidth(), PanelHeight());
			}
		}
	}
}
Could you do something like this?

Code:
void show_image(ibitmap *img) {
	if (img) {
		/* Auto-rotate new images if desired. */
		if (autorot_idx && v.CheckForNewImage(img) &&
		    (layout_mode != LAYOUT_DOUBLE) &&
		    !(QueryGSensor() && GetGlobalOrientation() == -1))
			// If the default orientation is set to 180, use it for portrait
			// on devices that are rotated for left/right-handed use
			rotate_screen((img->width > img->height) ? autorot_idx :
			              (caps.lr_rotate && (default_or == 3)) ? 3: 0);
                if(page_update_workaround){    // new config_option
                    v.SetImage(white_img);     // white_img = completely white ibitmap as a constant
                    draw();
                }
                v.SetImage(img);
		draw();
		if (!mng.IsBuffered()) {
			mng.Buffering();
			if (do_draw_panel) {
				draw_panel(pagemap);
				PartialUpdate(0, cliprect_height(), ScreenWidth(), PanelHeight());
			}
		}
	}
}
el-sahef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:49 AM   #484
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Drawing is done in many more places than show_page, so I think you would still see ghosting even if this was implemented. Instead, I modified draw() to update twice if FineUpdate was enabled. I'll PM you with the location of a test build, and you can let me know if that solution works well for you. I'm hoping to avoid using the white image hack because of screen rotation.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #485
el-sahef
el-sahef began at the beginning.

Device: PB 840
Thank you very much. I tried it out and it is substantially better. Depending on the images you can sometimes still see a bit of ghosting but I think this workaround killed about 75% of it.

Suprisingly it works only when I try it with real Mangas. When I use the test patterns (uploaded here) that I made for testing and checking which orders are the most vulnerable to ghosting and how to make it go away I see almost no improvement.

The worst case is pattern 1 or 2 followed by black. A pattern followed by white also has some ghosting but much less than with black. Inserting white between pattern and black removes the ghosting in black. Everything tested with the light turned on to 25 %.

I personally would not need the white page workaround to work with screen rotation. I would only need portrait mode and inverse portrait mode because I use two inkpads next to each other in a custom cover that I made out of two original ones (114 kB image: https://i.postimg.cc/mgjZFjrv/CIMG4162.jpg). This works almost like a real book. So double page illustrations are not shown horizontally but split over two devices.
The only drawback in this case is the huge border between the two image parts.
At first I had only one inkpad but after some time I got the second one very cheap because it was sold as defective. It turned out that it just had an almost completely discharged battery. And the covers were sold for 5 bucks a pice.

When my pocket allows it (not in the near future ) I might upgrade to two Kobo Formas, they have a much thinner bezel, newer screen technology and less weight.

Last edited by el-sahef; 12-27-2018 at 03:24 PM.
el-sahef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #486
mooms
mooms began at the beginning.

Device: Inkpad 3
Thank you very much for this wonderful software !

I using it with mi Inkpad 3 for manga reading, it's almost perfect !

I would very much welcome a feature: the option to split the images (for double page scans), and of course choosing the reading direction (for mangas).

Do you think it's possible ?

Right now I'm using KCC for splitting, but it's not ideal.
mooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:11 PM   #487
rkomar
Wizard

Both of those features are already there. You hold down the Next/Prev page buttons to give the reading direction (same direction as the arrow). You can set the zoom layout to "Fit height in portrait, fit width in landscape" or "Fit height" to view double pages. It doesn't split the page, but will show the entire first and second pages properly as you step.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #488
mooms

Thanks for the answer, but the "page splitting" (set the zoom layout to "Fit height in portrait, fit width in landscape") is not working as intended, so I will continue to split them in KCC I guess.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #489
rkomar
Wizard

What do you mean by "not working as intended"? Is it not fitting the height in portrait mode and the width in landscape mode? Or do you mean that that behaviour isn't what you want? I'm just trying to figure out if you are seeing a bug.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #490
mooms

I mean the page is not changing to the next page with a touch swipe, like in single page mode. It need a lot more steps, and since the page refresh is slow on e-ink device, this is a big issue.

Sorry english is not my native language so I'm not sure this is clear enough.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #491
mooms

I have an other question: is it possible to set a default custom gamma ?
Currently I only found the option to set it for the current book.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:46 PM   #492
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooms View Post
I mean the page is not changing to the next page with a touch swipe, like in single page mode. It need a lot more steps, and since the page refresh is slow on e-ink device, this is a big issue.

Sorry english is not my native language so I'm not sure this is clear enough.
Swiping pans the image if it is possible to move it in that direction. Instead of swiping, try tapping near the middle of one of the side edges (like when reading ebooks), or press the Next button. By default, the image steps by 75% of the screen dimension. You can change that in the configuration if you want bigger or smaller steps.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:52 PM   #493
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooms View Post
I have an other question: is it possible to set a default custom gamma ?
Currently I only found the option to set it for the current book.
No, I didn't make a global option for display settings. Each archive is different, so I thought that it didn't make sense to set the gamma the same for everything. However, when the next book is automatically started at the end of the current one, the same display settings are used. That's the only time it starts off different from the default display setting.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:17 PM   #494
mooms

I see. Thank you for the answers rkomar, have a nice day (or night).
Old 07-03-2019, 07:53 AM   #495
Melgo
Melgo began at the beginning.

Device: 626
Dear Rkomar,

I hope you are doing well. After using your program for a while on my old Pocketbook, I just bought a new one.

It's the 627 (TouchLux 4) with firmware T627.5.18485.

So I copied your bin to my device, then I start your app.

I am able to browse directories as usual, but I do not see my files (.cbz extension)

Could you please help me out ?

Thanks !
Melgo is offline   Reply With Quote