Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-12-2019, 06:07 AM   #31
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin-zemlyanin View Post
it doesn't work i tried many times
Hi.

TiP ~ So download and install NeoReader 3.0 ".apk" without going to Update on Firmware 2.x from 1.9
- Try this one : NeoReader 3.0

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 06-12-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:27 AM   #32
Icey
Connoisseur
Icey began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx max
Does it work with onyx max 2 pro?ty
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #33
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
It should work on your onyx max 2 pro. I have both neoreader 2.0 and 3.0 installed on my Onyx Max 2 Pro (4GB RAM) with 2.1.1 firmware. The Neoreader 3.0 should appear as a different app. I right click on the pdf/epub file in the storage and choose Open With and I can select either 2.0 or 3.0 version of Neoreader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey View Post
Does it work with onyx max 2 pro?ty
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #34
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Hi.

TiP ~ So download and install NeoReader 3.0 ".apk" without going to Update on Firmware 2.x from 1.9
- Try this one : NeoReader 3.0
Sorry guys...
it looks like if i don't try to destroy my Nova i'm not happy
Firmware 2.something (i guess, 2018-12-26)

I installed this neoreader3.0 version on my Nova and it didn't work.
But it seems it managed to substitute my default neoreader 2.0 as system app!
Uninstalling it left my Nova completely without a version of neoreader and that blocked also navigation of library/storage.
I had a 543 mega copy of 2018-12-26 update.upx so i tried a local firmware reinstall but that didn't gave me back a working neoreader (WTF ? i was expecting that to be a full factory reset!)
In the end i installed another file explorer from google play and used it to install a neoreader 2.0.1 that Michael passed me some days ago.
With that, i was able to rebuild library.
Now from settings --> application --> manage apps it look like i have
- neoreader fw 2.0.1 installed as a third application which can be uninstalled
- neoreader v3.0 that can just be deactivated, like it's the system application.

any hint aside peacefully wait for a 2.1.1 full international firmware?
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #35
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Sorry guys...
it looks like if i don't try to destroy my Nova i'm not happy
Firmware 2.something (i guess, 2018-12-26)

I installed this neoreader3.0 version on my Nova and it didn't work.
But it seems it managed to substitute my default neoreader 2.0 as system app!
Uninstalling it left my Nova completely without a version of neoreader and that blocked also navigation of library/storage.
I had a 543 mega copy of 2018-12-26 update.upx so i tried a local firmware reinstall but that didn't gave me back a working neoreader (WTF ? i was expecting that to be a full factory reset!)
In the end i installed another file explorer from google play and used it to install a neoreader 2.0.1 that Michael passed me some days ago.
With that, i was able to rebuild library.
Now from settings --> application --> manage apps it look like i have
- neoreader fw 2.0.1 installed as a third application which can be uninstalled
- neoreader v3.0 that can just be deactivated, like it's the system application.

any hint aside peacefully wait for a 2.1.1 full international firmware?
Take it easy my friend, no worries

When you install any app on android it checks the app id (something that you don't really see in the UI) to detect if it's something completely new or maybe it already exists on the system. If the app id matches android will update the app if the new app has higher version and was signed by the same vendor. However, the update is not permanent. You can always go to android settings -> apps, find the app and tap on the button 'restore to default' which will remove the update and restore the original version from the read-only firmware partition.

Of course you already know that onyx have hidden the android settings app from their launcher. The settings app which you can start from onyx launcher is not the android one. You can still start the android settings app either via adb shell or from 3rd party launchers, such as ReLaunchX.

The story about the Neo Reader packages:
Neo Reader 3.0 is unmodified apk pulled from newest onyx firmware. It has the same app id (and naturally is signed by the same vendor, onyx) as the previous Neo Reader 2.0 so when you install it, it will upgrade your Neo Reader.
Neo Reader fw 2.0.1 is a modified apk, pulled from 2.0.1 firmware. The only modification was done in AndroidManifest.xml - different app id so the system will treat it as a different app. Hence if you want to have both on an older firmware you need to install the 3.0, then the modified 2.0.

Have fun!
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #36
Odin-zemlyanin
Odin-zemlyanin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2015
On my note pro 1.9.1, this combination with the installation of neo reader 3 and after it neo reader 2.0.1 - does not work. as a result, only Neo Reader 2 is launching after all.
Odin-zemlyanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:20 PM   #37
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Given that the new update is expected sometime soon, does anyone know if there is any way to backup or create a flashable copy of the current firmware that is on your device in case you want to roll it back?

I know Oynx doesn't provide older firmwares, was wondering if anyone had experimented with rolling their device back in the past given Oynx' buggy updates
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:01 AM   #38
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@plusz thank you, that made total sense.
Also, the option to restore the previous version of the system app was present in the default launcher, even if i didn't noticed at first (with nova launcher was much more evident).
Old 06-13-2019, 03:08 AM   #39
underscore
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
Given that the new update is expected sometime soon, does anyone know if there is any way to backup or create a flashable copy of the current firmware that is on your device in case you want to roll it back?

I know Oynx doesn't provide older firmwares, was wondering if anyone had experimented with rolling their device back in the past given Oynx' buggy updates
On my Nova i did a rollback from 2.1 (loaded with the chinese OTA trick) to 2.0
because i kept the previous upx file.
This thing that they don't keep private firmware version sucks.
If you don't have your, try digging into previous website versions.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/https:/...com/downloads/

with a bit of luck, you're gonna find it
Old 06-14-2019, 07:42 AM   #40
DenisR
Connoisseur
DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.

Device: Onyx Boox Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post

I went back from 2.1.1 (1st version) to 2.0.1 using the .upx file I downloaded from Onyx site when the 2.0.1 appeared. I also went back from some version (2.0.0 ?) to 1.9.1 before that. Both rolling back went without problem.

When Onyx delivers a new version, don't use OTA, just download the .upx file from Onyx on your PC and keep it in case of problem with a newer version ! You just have to put the file into your Max2 and start the update. That way it does not check whether it's a new version or an old one.
DenisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:20 AM   #41
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
You can still start the android settings app either via adb shell or from 3rd party launchers, such as ReLaunchX.
Where is the android settings under RelaunchX? I don't recall seeing it.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:43 AM   #42
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Where is the android settings under RelaunchX? I don't recall seeing it.
You can see it as an app in the app list, provided that you start RelaunchX as a launcher and have the the bottom-screen app toolbar.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #43
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Hi

- I install it this morning (via Chinese language), battery is not discharging so fast in standby.
- On the other hand, NeoReader 3.0 displays my books always oddly. (very very large Line spacing)
* I have to use another reader to read the books

Seven Lines for one page (for 7.8 screen), you are serious ??
* With Neo Reader 2.0.1 I did not have this problem.
Hello,

Does the problems are now solved with the last update ?

Thank you for the reply by advance.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:15 PM   #44
jojoweather
jojoweather began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX NOVA
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
That's very odd. On my Nova Pro with the 2.1.1 firmware, if I long press on a book and select the "Open with" option, all seven of the ereader apps which I have on my device are listed as available options.

That has always been my experience on my various Onyx devices with their various firmwares over my short history using their products.

I wonder what could account for your differing experience...
Hi, you just unfreeze the 3rd party apks and the apks will be shown in "Open with", because any new apks installed will be automatically set to freeze list unless we change the setting.

Enjoy it
jojoweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:42 AM   #45
Hydrarchos
Depressed Dodo.
Hydrarchos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hi all,

I just updated to 2.1.2 and although generally a happy bunny, I seem to have lost pinch and zoom in PDFs. Because a lot of them is spreads instead of single pages, that's a problem. Of course, there is the possibility that I've done something stupid (or forgot to do something obvious), but "pinch to scale" is enabled, so I don't get what could go wrong.

Any tips?
Hydrarchos is offline   Reply With Quote