Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
gbargoud
gbargoud has learned how to read e-booksgbargoud has learned how to read e-booksgbargoud has learned how to read e-booksgbargoud has learned how to read e-booksgbargoud has learned how to read e-booksgbargoud has learned how to read e-booksgbargoud has learned how to read e-booksgbargoud has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 600
Note Importer

Here is a note importer for the PRS 600 (may work on other models) you place the contents of the .zip file in the home directory of your eReader. Clicking on the importer executable will open a window, click edit schedule to edit your schedule and then save it. Using that schedule it will place your notes in separate directories depending on te class you were in when you took it. This is my first useful application so it will have faults in it, please point them out so that I can fix them.

It currently only works on POSIX or near POSIX systems such as GNU/Linux and Mac OS X. To make it compatible with Windows, a .bat file would be needed as the executable and the pathnames would have to be slightly modified.

This does not read the notes, this is just to organise them and move them to your desktop/laptop. there are other applications fro the reading part. I may make this into an extension for Calibre later as it could be better suited there.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Note Import.zip (11.9 KB, 349 views)
gbargoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
gbargoud
gbargoud has learned how to read e-booksgbargoud has learned how to read e-booksgbargoud has learned how to read e-booksgbargoud has learned how to read e-booksgbargoud has learned how to read e-booksgbargoud has learned how to read e-booksgbargoud has learned how to read e-booksgbargoud has learned how to read e-books

Small problem with the schedule editor, launching it from the original window caused problems with the StringVars so i created a new executable for that, here it is. Once again, place the CONTENTS of the zip file in the root directory of the reader.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Note Import.zip (13.6 KB, 322 views)
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
gbargoud

In this version, the schedule editor appears in the main window. Is anyone using this or is my timing (releasing it right as summer starts) horrible?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Note Import 0.1.2.zip (8.0 KB, 331 views)
Old 05-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
gbargoud

I think I got windows functionality working in there now, can someone try it and respond? my machines run Linux and Mac OS X. instructions are the same, with importer.bat supposed to start the program on windows.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Note Import.zip (8.5 KB, 386 views)
Old 05-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi gbargoud, thanks very much for this app, it looks like it could be just what i've been waiting for ! i won't mind testing in on a windows machine (xp pro) but can you give me a few extra details first ?

1. is this app in any way risky, in other words is there any chance i could either brick my sony or lose my notes ?

2. what if you are not a student and just want to export notes you have made in your books while reading them ? how will they be organised ? or is this app only for notes made in the independent "memo" notes function, on a blank screen ?

if this app will do what i think, export my notes to my pc and make them useable there without using the sony library app, then you will be my hero ! thanks again for the work.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
gbargoud

Sorry, but I don't think this is what you are looking for. I made this software just to organize the notes, because the ame is nothing more than a timestamp, this application looks at the timestamp and compares it to a schedule to determine when the note was taken and organize them in that way. In order to read the note without the Sony library app you could ope them in your web browser or use the PRS Note Reader there, I have had much success with that and may try incorporating the converter in a later version of the importer, maybe even use LaTeX to make the notes into one .pdf file, but that is later.

This software will most probably not brick your Reader, if put in the wrong place, it may. If you choose to copy and not move, then it will not lose your notes and on Windows I only need someone to test if it launches properly by double clicking the .bat file.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks very much for your answer (including the link to the notes viewer, i think i somehow managed to miss that...).

since you say this will not brick my reader, i will install it and check if it will launch, and confirm.

just to clarify : by "home directory" you mean the root ? as in, if reader is displayed as disk H on my file explorer, directly at the root of H ? or do you mean the home directory of the notes, which would be
H:\database\markup\database\media\books
?
Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
gbargoud

When i wrote home i meant to write "root" as in the contents should be in H:/.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbargoud View Post
When i wrote home i meant to write "root" as in the contents should be in H:/.
thanks, i just thought i'd check.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

okay, i placed the contents of the zip in the root of my reader, and i double-clicked on importer.bat ; it launched a DOS window for about a nano-second but that disappeared by itself and nothing else seems to have happened. i didn't see a scheduler or anything else. i tried this with the contents of the zip transferred directly, inside the folder called "Note Import", and also transferring only the contents of that directory (so the .bat file was directly at the root level, not inside the directory "note import").

i hope that tells you something useful...
Old 05-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
gbargoud

ok, thanks, do you have python installed?
What should be placed at the root directory are the installer files and the inner Note Import folder. It should be able to launch from anywhere but that makes the default settings work better. Thanks for your help and i will try to get it to convert them too once I figure that one out.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbargoud View Post
ok, thanks, do you have python installed?
What should be placed at the root directory are the installer files and the inner Note Import folder. It should be able to launch from anywhere but that makes the default settings work better. Thanks for your help and i will try to get it to convert them too once I figure that one out.
yes, i do have python installed (v 2.6.1 if that helps), and i did try with the installer files and the inner note import folder at root, same result as when they were placed in the first note import folder.

i'll test it again for you if you make a new version. sorry i can't help more, i'm not in any way a dev.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
gbargoud

No problem, i have been basically porting this to Windows blind and was not expecting it to work te first time anyway.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

well i'm glad you're not too disappointed. good luck with the next version.