Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Non-English Discussions > Forum Français > Assistance

Notices

Old 04-22-2017, 02:32 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Again more help with French, please

I'm working on an ebook version of The Solitary Summer by Elizabeth von Arnim for the MR library, and trying to provide end notes translating the German and French she uses

The current one I need help with is

'Elisabeth, vous ecrirez, des que nous rentrons, leverbe Prier le bon Dieu de m'Aider a ne plus Etre si Impertinente'.

Elizabeth has been cheeky to her tutor, and that's the tutor's response; it seems that she has to 'write lines'.

I can't find the word 'leverbe' in my Oxford French dictionary. Is there such a word, or is it a typo?

Why do some of the words start with capital letters?

I think I can understand the rest of it, but would be grateful for a full translation.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:48 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
This is just a guess, but the capital letters would seem to be for exaggerated emphasis of what she's being reprimanded for.

I'm thinking “leverbe” is probably a typo for “le verbe” in either variant of sense A. 3. (both used in the singular) listed over at the CNRTL's Lexicographie: an expression of thought, or a callback to the manner in which Elisabeth expressed herself (with the implication that she should improve her attitude by expressing humbler sentiments).

If that's the case, then the sentence would be roughly: “Elisabeth, as soon as we get back, you'll write the expression Pray the good Lord to Help me no longer Be so Impertinent.”
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
This is just a guess, but the capital letters would seem to be for exaggerated emphasis of what she's being reprimanded for.

I'm thinking “leverbe” is probably a typo for “le verbe” in either variant of sense A. 3. (both used in the singular) listed over at the CNRTL's Lexicographie: an expression of thought, or a callback to the manner in which Elisabeth expressed herself (with the implication that she should improve her attitude by expressing humbler sentiments).

If that's the case, then the sentence would be roughly: “Elisabeth, as soon as we get back, you'll write the expression Pray the good Lord to Help me no longer Be so Impertinent.”
Can't find any referance to "leverbe" sounds like a type to me, should be "le verbe"
Meaning, not just write the line, but conjugate it.

Je prie le bon dieu de..
Tu prie le bon dieu de..
Il/elle prie le bon dieu de..

and so on.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 04-22-2017 at 12:40 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to you both. I really am most grateful for the help I get here and in the Deutches forum.

The suggestion about conjugation fits very well with another comment the author makes (in English) later in the book.

There is another sentence in the same passage I'd like help with

'Demander pardon pour Avoir Siffle comme un Gamin quelconque, Vouloir ne plus Oublier de Nettoyer mes Ongles, Essayer de ne pas tant Aimer les Poudings,'

I think I can decipher it, but would appreciate a proper translation.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
It's pretty much: “Beg pardon/ask forgiveness for Having Whistled like any old Boy/a common Child, Want/Wish to no longer Forget to Clean my Nails [probably just fingernails in context, though technically it could include the toenails], Try not to Like Pudding so much/be quite so Fond of Pudding.” depending on how you want to phrase it.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks, that's most helpful.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Hi Alex,

I guess you have used the gutenberg version: am I wrong?

If not, there are a few mistakes in this specific dialogue: let's see.

"Tenez-vous bien, et marchez d'une facon convenable," she replied sharply.
Tenez-vous bien et marchez d'une façon convenable,

"Qu'est-ce que c'est une hypothese—"
Qu'est-ce que c'est une hypothèse? —

"Vous etes trap jeune pour comprendre ces choses."
Vous êtes trop jeune pour comprendre ces choses.

"Oh alors vous ne savez pas vous-meme!" I cried triumphantly, "Sans cela vous me diriez."
Oh! alors vous ne savez pas vous-même! I cried triumphantly, Sans cela vous me diriez:

"Elisabeth, vous ecrirez, des que nous rentrons, leverbe Prier le bon Dieu de m'Aider a ne plus Etre si Impertinente."
Elisabeth, vous écrirez, dès que nous rentrerons, le verbe prier le bon Dieu de m'aider à ne plus être si impertinente.

I don't know if these corrections can be made (uniqueness of the global style), but from a french grammatical point of view they are pertinent (particularly the accents).

Have a nice day Alex as well as ATDrake and Eowyn!
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:45 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks. I wish I'd read your response before uploading the ePub and mobi versions this afternoon. Still, I caught all but two of the accents. Google Translate may not be much use in translation, but they do ask about accents if they are omitted.

And no, I didn't use the Gutenberg version; I used the version from the University of Melbourne ebook library. I also checked with the OnLine books site, and they had the leverbe error and no accents.

I'll have a break for a while and then upload corrected versions. Thanks again for pointing out the errors.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #9
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
You are welcome Alex!

I was late anyway.

In any case, it is sometimes complicated to modify, in one way or another, an ancient text since errors often testify to the place from which it originates (excluding of course the obvious errors: e.g. trap for trop, etc.).

One possible solution would be to review the manuscript, but is it worth it?!

Have a nice day!
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote