Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Free/Bargain Science Fiction/Fantasy in August 2013

A thread for August.

We point out free and bargain SF/Fantasy titles to each other. Please don't post any self-published books, and please do a search before posting to avoid duplicates.

Be aware that many freebies are only free for a day, so grab them fast. Enjoy!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The Red Knight by Miles Cameron [Orbit/Hachette] is $1.99 at Amazon, B&N and Sony. It's probably a daily special.

Quote:
Twenty eight florins a month is a huge price to pay, for a man to stand between you and the Wild.

Twenty eight florins a month is nowhere near enough when a wyvern's jaws snap shut on your helmet in the hot stink of battle, and the beast starts to rip the head from your shoulders. But if standing and fighting is hard, leading a company of men - or worse, a company of mercenaries - against the smart, deadly creatures of the Wild is even harder.

It takes all the advantages of birth, training, and the luck of the devil to do it.

The Red Knight has all three, he has youth on his side, and he's determined to turn a profit. So when he hires his company out to protect an Abbess and her nunnery, it's just another job. The abby is rich, the nuns are pretty and the monster preying on them is nothing he can't deal with.

Only it's not just a job. It's going to be a war. . .
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-...=9780316212298
http://www.amazon.com/The-Knight-Tra.../dp/B007ZFPUL2
https://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/mi...00000000911510
Advert
Old 08-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Never Trust a Sorcerer (The Trust Series Book 1) by L R Barrett-Durham is free at Amazon right now.

Quote:
At the behest of her brother, Lady Serra Bloodmoon turns to the feared Dretho the Mage for a cure to her horrid nightmares. As news reaches her that her brother has been murdered, and her sister, kidnapped, she returns to Moondale with a mission. Knowing that taking the Bloodmoon Brigade would mean her sister's demise, she embarks alone only to find help in a handsome stranger who isn't exactly what he seems.

After a series of unexpected events, she discovers the dreaded book of Gyndless the Almighty, once responsible for Remus-wide genocide, is once again in the hands of an evil sorcerer. The very sorcerer responsible for the deaths of so many she holds dear.

As the sorcerer’s monstrous horde begins its descent on Moondale, all the goodly folk of Remus will have to band together in an epic battle, or risk annihilation.

This 500+ page novel is the first of The Trust Series by L R Barrett-Durham.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Tom SKP
Connoisseur
Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung tab 3 & Nook Simple Touch with Glow light
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Never Trust a Sorcerer (The Trust Series Book 1) by L R Barrett-Durham is free at Amazon right now.
Help me! I only see FREE for Prime members and also a free sample from the book beginning.
Am I missing something... to be free to non-Prime?
Old 08-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
septentrion
Addict
septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2014, Kindle Voyage and Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom SKP View Post
Help me! I only see FREE for Prime members and also a free sample from the book beginning.
Am I missing something... to be free to non-Prime?
It's because the book is no longer free. I grabbed it free this morning but now it shows at 5.99 $.
Advert
Old 08-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Same thing happened at Amazon UK. I grabbed it about 6am this morning, and it was free. Now at 1:25pm it's priced at £3.98. Just wait awhile and it'll probably have another free day at some point.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Hopefully this wasn't posted last month (I didn't see it on a quick skim of that thread), but Tor.com is offering a free ebook download of an anthology containing 5 years worth of Tor science fiction and fantasy stories:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/08/fiv...nload-extended
Old 08-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Even if it was, it's still worth repeating. Thanks for posting it.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Hopefully this wasn't posted last month (I didn't see it on a quick skim of that thread), but Tor.com is offering a free ebook download of an anthology containing 5 years worth of Tor science fiction and fantasy stories:

It was.

These are HUGE downloads. Calibre may not work on such a large file, if conversion is a necessity for you.

Don
Old 08-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Even if it was, it's still worth repeating. Thanks for posting it.

It was and I agree, worth re-posting. I had forgotten about it and had been meaning to download

Old 08-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Angel Station by Walter Jon Williams is $0.99 at the usual places, including Smashwords.

I don't know if this passes the "no self published books" rule. I guess the ebook version is self published, but it was originally published in paper by Tor.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It was.

These are HUGE downloads. Calibre may not work on such a large file, if conversion is a necessity for you.

Don
RE: Tor short-story anthology.
I got this earlier, and haven't tried the following yet, but.. some forum members on Tor.com say that loading in Calibre, and running a conversion to the same format, will seriously reduce the file size.
(i.e., if you've got the mobi file, have calibre convert it from mobi to mobi.)
No reported problems getting it to load in calibre on the Tor site (as opposed to Sigil locking up, etc.)

Original mobi file around 153 mB, reported size after conversion around 25 mB.
Original epub file around 68 mB, reported size after epub-to-epub calibre conversion, 48 mB.

I still like the idea of using EpubSplit to break it down into more manageable chunks, but at least the same-format conversion seems like it'll get the file small enough for a lot of ereaders to accept it.

KentE
Old 08-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentE View Post
I got this earlier, and haven't tried the following yet, but.. some forum members on Tor.com say that loading in Calibre, and running a conversion to the same format, will seriously reduce the file size.
No reported problems getting it to load in calibre on the Tor site (as opposed to Sigil locking up, etc.)
Haven't tried epub-epub, but epub-azw3 increases file size. I'll have to give it a try.

Edit: epub-epub doesn't make much difference.

Last edited by jgaiser; 08-04-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It was.

I epubsplit almost every story out of it separately. It took a couple of hours, but I put the cover graphics in too which probably isn't necessary.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #15
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentE View Post

Original mobi file around 153 mB, reported size after conversion around 25 mB.
Original epub file around 68 mB, reported size after epub-to-epub calibre conversion, 48 mB.

I still like the idea of using EpubSplit to break it down into more manageable chunks, but at least the same-format conversion seems like it'll get the file small enough for a lot of ereaders to accept it.

KentE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Haven't tried epub-epub, but epub-azw3 increases file size. I'll have to give it a try.

Edit: epub-epub doesn't make much difference.
Use the Epubsplit plugin to split it into smaller pieces.

bernie
Closed Thread