Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
PocketBook Pro 912 - Onyx M92

The two appear pretty similar to me, althought the PocketBook Pro 912 appears to have a better housing (including storage for the pen) and a (much?) slower response to stylus input.

Are there any other, noteworthy differences? For example, the M92 is "open-source-ish", how about the PocketBook Pro 912? Can anyone perhaps give a definite comparison of the two?

Thanks
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
The two appear pretty similar to me, althought the PocketBook Pro 912 appears to have a better housing (including storage for the pen) and a (much?) slower response to stylus input.

Are there any other, noteworthy differences? For example, the M92 is "open-source-ish", how about the PocketBook Pro 912? Can anyone perhaps give a definite comparison of the two?

Thanks
AFAIK, the Pocketbook screen isn't Pearl, and the M92 is.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I have a 912. While there's a fair amount of third party development for most of the pocketbook readers they aren't adding a lot of value for me. On my 6" PB 302 that was different. Those other tools came in handy. One think I really like is that the 912 can have multiple books open and I can easily flip between them. I don't like that I can't really do much customization of the default menu screen. mbovenka is right, it's not a Pearl screen. But that doesn't seem to matter a whole lot.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
gris
Connoisseur
gris began at the beginning.

Device: m92, sonyt2,
hello! I'm new here!

i have the same question about the big readers, which one to buy?

what I know is, there is a difference in the display.

some points are important for me:

a good and relative easy support in dictionarys. somewhat like the prst1 has it would be perfect. i push the button and i get the translation, which is deep enough, and can be further looked in. not only at the infinitive. the more different language possible the better!

then i would want to read pdf books in all sort of science, or whatever format they are coming. but i think it is most pdf.

i want to read chm files, epub, html, maybe getting newspapers and magazines on the device.

notes are not so important to me.

at the moment i found the pocketbook 912 and the onyx boox m92. but i'm not quite sure which of the two is better for me, since I want a quite stable thing. I'm not so good in programming, it interests me a little, but can't put too much effort in at the moment

I read about many discussing in the onyx forum about firmware, bugs, and problems. Don't know, but that already sounded like a little too much work for me.

if the pocketbook is just some what slower, but can do the things better I would prefer it.

i think is the higher price about 100$ worth the onyx92, or is it too unstable? but I'm ready to buy more, when i get with what i'm more lucky.

sure perfect would be an e-ink color device with all perfect features. don't really want to read and research all that stuff, maybe you can help! guess many others will have similar questions!

Last edited by gris; 11-06-2012 at 01:36 PM.
gris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Hi,

in our store we are offering both devices.
I just can tell you the statistics - although PB912 is much cheaper than M92 currently we are selling just 1 pc PB912 to 100 pcs. M92.
PB912 is a very good (looking) device, but using outdated screens (in many documents it is just too pale and contrast can not be adjusted like in M92's pearl screen) and quite inconvenient PDF Reading software (panning with stylus or joystick seem to be impossible and it lacks on good multi column reading mode, which is very important for reading of magazins) it can not really compete with M92.

Last edited by Booxtor; 11-06-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
gris
Connoisseur
gris began at the beginning.

Device: m92, sonyt2,
thanks a lot for answering!
i still have a load of other questions.
but maybe i will just order that gadget, for nothing else there and hoping it will work for me.
hoping the dictionarys are sufficient. e.g. when i'm german, is there a good english german one? can i use it out of pdfs probably at zoom mode too?
gris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #7
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by gris View Post
thanks a lot for answering!
i still have a load of other questions.
but maybe i will just order that gadget, for nothing else there and hoping it will work for me.
hoping the dictionarys are sufficient. e.g. when i'm german, is there a good english german one? can i use it out of pdfs probably at zoom mode too?
There are some very good English-German dictionaries, which you can install additionaly.
You can use dictionary tool in every zoom level.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
FunThomas
FunThomas began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White
I'm also considering to buy PB 912 or M92, but i'm still not definetely decided yet.
PB is 80€ cheaper and my question is, is M92 worth the extra money? I know, it has better screen, faster processor and looks nicer :-)
I have seen some youtube comparison videos and both allow you to take notes. But M92 allows you to export them and save in new PDF. That's very handy in case.
On the other hand, I'm from Slovakia and PB seems to have more "local" support, dictioneries, TTS and so on (http://www.pocketbook-int.com/sk/sup...etbook-pro-912).
And what about web-browsing? I understand that's not what e-book readers are meant to be used for, but when it comes to it, which one is better?
Both seems to have Open Source addins but I didn't check what is available.
Thanks for your replies.
FunThomas is offline   Reply With Quote