Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Trickle charge of fast charge overnight?

I just got my Kindle Fire HD yesterday. I put it on the 9 watt charger and fully charged it, then I used it all day draining the battery down to 35%. Going to bed I put it back on the large cube charger. But that made me start wondering:

When the Kindle Fire HD is going to be on the charger for 7 or 8 hours straight would it be better to plug it into the eInk charger or my computer's USB port or is it better to use the faster charger, or does it matter at all?

I'm probably fussing because it's new but my car battery is supposed to do better with a trickle charge than a fast charge but it has a different battery technology and I don't know anything about the batteries in Kindles.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I just charge overnight using the normal charger but I have a KFv1. I was told that using USB to charge the Kindle Fire can damage it. I don't know if the HD is different though.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Thanks for the warning Blossom. I'll stick with the one they recommended unless there's a difference for the HD.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
The mythologies around charging are legend... it matters not a wit..... the circuitry on the reader regulates the charge and just so long as the charger is supplying enough current it will be fine this "only use the official charger" crap put out by the makers is to get you to buy their over-priced charger ...as for the pc/usb it is only a problem if you are using a laptop and it goes into standby/powersaver mode in that case it may drain your device rather than charge it apart from that it is all bs... I use a generic (and cheap) micro usb phone charger for all my micro usb devices without any issues
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
The mythologies around charging are legend... it matters not a wit..... the circuitry on the reader regulates the charge and just so long as the charger is supplying enough current it will be fine this "only use the official charger" crap put out by the makers is to get you to buy their over-priced charger ...as for the pc/usb it is only a problem if you are using a laptop and it goes into standby/powersaver mode in that case it may drain your device rather than charge it apart from that it is all bs... I use a generic (and cheap) micro usb phone charger for all my micro usb devices without any issues
I don't do "this" often, but...

This. This so much.

I hate seeing "only charge with our official cords for best results" stuff on devices.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle2 KFHD 7, Galaxy 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
I don't do "this" often, but...

This. This so much.

I hate seeing "only charge with our official cords for best results" stuff on devices.
The 2nd generation KFs just don't seem to charge when you trickle down via computer. It might not hurt it, but it probably won't charge it.
iPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatty View Post
The 2nd generation KFs just don't seem to charge when you trickle down via computer. It might not hurt it, but it probably won't charge it.
It even gives you a warning that you are connected to a low power charger, and it will charge slowly if the Kindle is asleep, but may not charge if it's active. (something like that... there's a check box saying Don't remind me again, and I don't know how to reset it.)

It did charge with the car charger I got for my phone, but I don't live far enough away.

The charger from the Kindle 3 worked fine, taking it from 37% up to full in about (or less than) 3 hours.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote