Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Android user wins the “Smoked by Windows Phone” challenge, Microsoft fails to pay up

LOL I just read this, MS has had some pretty good campaigns. It's anti-Apple of "What can you get with a $1000" was so good it forced Apple Exec to get in contact with MS and have them pull the ads.

It's "Smoked by Windows Phone" seemd good too until ...

Quote:
Microsoft’s ... “Smoked by Windows Phone“... will give you a task to perform on your smartphone. The adman will perform the same operation on his Windows Phone. Both of you then simultaneously try to achieve this arbitrary goal while being recorded for what will eventually be a YouTube video. If you finish first, you get money. If the propagandist finishes first, you have to look into Microsoft’s cameras and admit defeat. Intomobile

Quote:
So Sahas won … but according to Microsoft he didn’t. The reason? “Just because,” said an employee at the Microsoft Store.
Intomobile

Here is the response from the Marketer responsible for the "Smoked by Windows Phone Campaign"
Quote:
@sahaskatta @skattertech @mattlynley @joshuatopolsky Just saw this.Sorry about the hassle...come back for a rematch on a random challenge!
— Ben Rudolph (@BenThePCGuy) March 26, 2012
The Verge
If they would have just paid the guy and let him be on his way it would have been a non event. The guy would have had is laptop and been hush about it.

Maybe MS is showing genius here and is playing the "Bad PR is good PR" but I'm guessing that is not the case, they are losing creditability here twice. By losing the competition and by failing to pay up.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
At least they finally paid up. He got his lappy and a new phone.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
But what's the point for this challenge? You can only win if you already have the widgets on the home screen, and then it's just a matter of how fast you turn the phone on and unlock it.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
At least they finally paid up. He got his lappy and a new phone.
Yes here is the tweet
Quote:
Hey @sahaskatta , @Microsoftstore & I want to make things right. So I've got a laptop & phone (& apology) for you. Email me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
But what's the point for this challenge? You can only win if you already have the widgets on the home screen, and then it's just a matter of how fast you turn the phone on and unlock it.
The campaign really isn't about what phone is faster. It's just a market ploy so folks can start associating MS phone as speedy and efficient. It's not the first time they've lost this competition, they've lost to iPhone and other Android phones. The story here is they refused to acknowledge it.

Yes most marketing campaigns are rigged constraint enough so the marketing product looks better. If you read the blog I linked the MS Phone had the two cities pinned to the home screen. The competition wasn't really "fair" it was designed for MS to win.

Here is Samsung playing the same game where they have a savvy phone user vs an iPhone user who obviously does not know how to user her phone.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
A Windows laptop? What was 2nd prize again?
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
An Apple laptop.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Zing!
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
What makes me laugh is they also gave him a phone...I'm guessing it's a windows phone.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I think it is a shame this sort of stuff happens. I don't know about the internals, but the Metro GUI on Windows Phone 7 is rather nice and the large tiles make it easy to use one handed (I don't have a windows phone, but I am currently using Launcher 7 on my Android Phone).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I think it is a shame this sort of stuff happens. I don't know about the internals, but the Metro GUI on Windows Phone 7 is rather nice and the large tiles make it easy to use one handed (I don't have a windows phone, but I am currently using Launcher 7 on my Android Phone).

--
Bill
YES it is good as a PHONE. Lacks app diversity though
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Two Windows laptops!
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote