Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #121
pablob
Connoisseur
pablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheese

Device: OnyxBook M96, enTourage Pocket eDGe (retired)
Hi Steve!

I'm sorry I haven't been following to closely, these are busy times.

Regarding the ann* file, it seems to be an annotation, and I guess the serial number is put there to make it match the originating device.

/fridge is just a link to /intstorage, so it makes sense they have the same stuff. Once the library is set to external, I don't think any of the files in /intstorage matter anymore, only the ones in /sdcard.

Regarding my suggestion to change the serial number, you don't have to keep the old one forever! Once you restore the library (which I would hope would work), change the serial back to the Allmine one and apply the "Library fix" by hand. That should fix the library, and keep access to the market.

I did not know about the office... If you change the device in the build.prop file, you'll probably lose access to the market, though. Maybe you can switch the device depending on what you want to do?
pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #122
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
docs2go really do not matter, I have 5 different offices all working on edge. docs2go had no eink integration, so this is why really does not matter as better options are out.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #123
mytwobears
mytwobears began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Astak Pocket Pro, and Entourage Pocket Edge
Hi Steve,

Sorry I am just now checking back.

my build.prop files list the following:

ro.product.device=edgejr
ro.product.name=edgejr

I also have the same note in my build.prop file with only the first line remmed out.

If your ro.product.name is passion, you should change it to edgejr. When you make the change to your build.prop file you should get a prompt to save the old file as a backup. After making the change, I still had access to the market.
mytwobears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #124
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablob View Post
Hi Steve!

I'm sorry I haven't been following to closely, these are busy times.

Regarding the ann* file, it seems to be an annotation, and I guess the serial number is put there to make it match the originating device.

/fridge is just a link to /intstorage, so it makes sense they have the same stuff. Once the library is set to external, I don't think any of the files in /intstorage matter anymore, only the ones in /sdcard.

Regarding my suggestion to change the serial number, you don't have to keep the old one forever! Once you restore the library (which I would hope would work), change the serial back to the Allmine one and apply the "Library fix" by hand. That should fix the library, and keep access to the market.

I did not know about the office... If you change the device in the build.prop file, you'll probably lose access to the market, though. Maybe you can switch the device depending on what you want to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwobears View Post
Hi Steve,

Sorry I am just now checking back.

my build.prop files list the following:

ro.product.device=edgejr
ro.product.name=edgejr

I also have the same note in my build.prop file with only the first line remmed out.

If your ro.product.name is passion, you should change it to edgejr. When you make the change to your build.prop file you should get a prompt to save the old file as a backup. After making the change, I still had access to the market.
============================================

Thanks for responding, pablob and mytwobears.

Regarding the build.prop items, the value for ro.product.device already was edgejr; the ro.build.product (which is said to be obsolete) and the ro.product.name both HAD a value of passion. I changed those without any losing access to the market or gaining access to the office documents in the Library.

I wasn't sure whether some of the .edge subfolders were links rather than real duplicate instances of the same files. I think the details of and variations in the file structures (such as the differences between the ones on my PE and those reported by ken_jennings in the thread he started) may be valuable in some future development problems.

What I did by making a backup before upgrading is very undesirable and hopefully very atypical <g>. However, a few others might experience similar issues.

I mentioned the ann file only, the failure to complete a restore of library files (although being accepted as a valid backup file) and the problems with office and multimedia files only because I hadn't seen them mentioned by anyone else. This suggests either that almost no one else has done this, or anyone else simply fixed it in some way (if so, I wish they would post their experience <g>).

The problem for me actually is a minor one (I don't expect to do much with office documents on the PE).

Mostly, it stimulates me to study a specific aspect of the PE.

I actually need to get used to using the PE on a regular basis to see what I tend to do with it and then consider what changes/fixes/improvements/optimizations are worth while trying.

This is a nice group of posters!

Steve

P.S. vicinc, I am not sure if your post was directed at one of my comments.
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:21 PM   #125
mytwobears
mytwobears began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Astak Pocket Pro, and Entourage Pocket Edge
Steve,
Try deleting any office documents you uploaded prior to making the changes to build.prop. Docs2go will not recognize them. Then try uploading them again and see if it will recognize them now.

If none of this works for you, try using QuickOffice for your Microsoft files , I think it came with the Allmine update. I had the same problem with some Powerpoint files, but after changing the names and deleting and re-adding the files, docs2go is now working fine for me.
mytwobears is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #126
stevesr0
Connoisseur
stevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheesestevesr0 can extract oil from cheese

To vicinc and mytwobears,

now I get the reference to docstogo.

I tried again this morning after rebooting and it works - it launches docstogo to do that, rather than just opening as a Library item, the way the pdfs and epubs do.

Sample multimedia files still don't offer option to add to Library...

Access to Market maintained.

Fun.

Thanks.

Steve
stevesr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #127
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

pablob may want to include the fix in the next release?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #128
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergps View Post
having 2 GiB in the userdata ? is this part of apps storage?

I saw the whole app storage is 2.32 GB.

I didn't do big apps, just tried the apps from Market. couple popular apps plus several games ...etc. then it reach the 322 MB. then saw this problem.

I briefly had this problem, but rebooted and it went away. I even installed a bunch of new apps from android market as well as amazon market too. Hopefully it will not return.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #129
vicinc
Guru

i am over 322 and growing. I was talking about the changes in build.prop
Old 12-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #130
Chevalier529
Chevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enoughChevalier529 will become famous soon enough

Device: EnTourage Edge Pocket
Looking for RC2 version

Greetings to everyone and hello Pablob,

I have been away from the forums far too long, as I realize I've missed out on quite a bit to include your golden developments.

Might I inquire as to where I may find your RC2 version? (I noted your small print message that all previous versions to RC3 have been deleted for another colleague's site posting of your most current version. But I'd be ever so grateful to possess the RC2--it is my preference to install on my PE.

Any chance you retained it and would be willing to post it again for downloading? I realize the majority of posters are hip to your RC3, but my preference remains with the RC2.

Thank you in advance should you entertain my unique request.

My best regards to you and everyone who have worked so diligently creating these programs and bettering the PE for we users--best wishes as we move forward into a New Year!
Chevalier529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #131
pablob
Connoisseur
pablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheese

Device: OnyxBook M96, enTourage Pocket eDGe (retired)
Hi Chevalier!

I removed the link to RC2 because RC3 does the exact same thing, but it also works on PEs with colors other than black. There are no other changes, so I don't see a reason to stick to RC2 (RC1, on the other hand, had no idea what to do with an external library, so you don't want to use it).

Why do you want to try RC2?

Happy New Year!
pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #132
hbabygirl
hbabygirl began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge, Entourage PE
Oh, I didn't know I could do the update without doing the reg work around. My very intention was to follow the reg work-around with the allmine golden update. At any rate I'd like to thank EVERYBODY here for ALL their hard work and sharing. I was able to do the update after reading the entire readme file several times (to be sure I understood all), and I finally have a device with full access to the android market! I was happy enough with all the capabilities of this device before, but now, it's simply the bomb!!!!

To clarify: I have a black PE, not a red one.

I moved the library within the settings menu. (I did have to set it again after the golden update however.)

I did get back to the welcome screen first by doing a factory data reset.

Thanks to all!!!!!

I thought I saw a new thread on here pertaining to apps that we are able to use on golden that we weren't able to before the update. Can't find it now. Can someone please provide the link? I would like to contribute too.
hbabygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #133
Agentbolt
Agentbolt began at the beginning.

Having issues doing the Allmine Golden update. I have a pocket edge with stock Ermine (whatever version Entourage released before going belly up) and I'm attempting to follow the directions but I can't even get to the first step. I've tried both the MicroUSB drive that my EDGE has its library on (I'm assuming it's okay to use that one instead of needing a whole different one) with the update.zip file on the root, as well as two different USB sticks. No matter what I do, I cannot get the PE to boot into the "updating software" splash screen. It simply starts as usual. I've tried holding down Menu + Rotate for 10 seconds before even hitting the power button, pushing all three at the same time, holding menu + rotate for like a minute, I can't think of anything else.

I'm sure there's something unbelievably stupid I'm doing, but does anyone have any suggestions for how to make the thing even attempt to update?
Agentbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #134
Panhandler
Panhandler began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Try once more

Agentbolt: What has worked for me is putting my PE on a flat surface, depressing the home and rotate buttons, and turning on the machines. I depress the buttons until I see the "Upgrading Software" screen. This can take two minutes or more. I also have no more than two files on my flash or micro drive. One is RC3 renamed "update" with a zip extension. The other is "gapps" from Cyanogen.

One more essential: the RC3 update file is INSIDE the RC3 folder you download. USE THE FILE NOT THE FOLDER (I don't mean to shout, only to emphasize your need to use the RC3 zip file inside the update folder you have downloaded.

Please be patient. Good luck.

Last edited by Panhandler; 01-03-2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Clarification
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #135
vicinc
Guru

you mean inside the zip!