Notices

View Poll Results: Mobi or epub
Mobi 52 26.00%
Epub 148 74.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2011, 04:33 AM   #46
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Yes, howyoudoin, that's possible. But it is not a feature of the epub format but of the software of the device.

I was a little bit unclear. What I wanted to say was that I can use mobipocket dictionaries only with the Kindle and the Cybook, whose mobi reading software is based on the Mobipocket Reader. When I read a mobi book on my Pocketbook or Bebook (with FBReader for instance) then I can't use my mobipocket dictionaries, that won't work.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #47
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
With epub touch readers you just usually tap or double-tap on the word for the dictionary to come up.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #48
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I don't quite understand. Can you lookup a word in an ePub book on any particular reader by simply moving the cursor to it?
I just double tap the word and the dictionary and definition pop right up. That's on a Sony reader, with ePub. If I need a different dictionary, say, for French or Spanish, I select one.

I think the main difference is that with ePub you may be stuck with what dictionaries come with your reader, whereas with Mobi you can select what dictionaries you want.

I only use the dictionary feature occasionally, so it's not a big issue for me. Overall, I prefer ePub. I can edit with Sigil when I want or need to. I like that I can use ePub on many different readers, it's widely supported. So I can bounce from a Nook to a Sony with no issues. Or I could put a book on any other epub supporting device and they are many. Likewise, if I leave off reading a book on Nook and want to continue reading on my Sony, the page number I left off on on Nook will be the page I can pick up reading again on Sony.

I also have to say that I appreciate a bit of typography and style in paper books and I also enjoy that in eBooks. So that's another reason I prefer ePub, as more is possible with it.

The downside, as folks have mentioned, is that more complexity can lead to more formatting issues.

Anyway, as I scan books for my own use, I really like just going straight ePub, I can edit it with Sigil and avoid unnecessary conversion steps.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #49
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I'm going to say epub. My mobi books are freebies that I leave with Amazon, my epub books are the ones I purchase, manage with Calibre and consider my actual "library."

I don't have a deep or well-thought out reason to prefer one over the other.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote