Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Looked at the New Nook

I just went & saw one tonight & I'm impressed. Didn't see PDF on it though since they didn't have any PDF on it. I had to show the person at the display how to do some of it but I knew only because I have a Sony 350 & it is very similar.

It does have highlighting, a dictionary (but only 1 that I could see) & very easy page turns either with the buttons, swipe or tap. It also has shelves (collections).

I liked the way it looked a whole lot better than the pictures show & it feels good in my hands.

It doesn't have the dictionary choices that the Sony has & you can't take notes. But that is not an issue for many readers. I forgot to check for bookmarking though. Can't imagine it wouldn't have it though.

Where it is better than the Sony is in the contrast. The background is not as grey as the Sony pearl screen. I took out my Sony to compare. It also has more font choices & the font sizes are better.

All in all I'm tempted & I would probably buy it if I wanted a 6 inch screen & couldn't get one from Sony.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
It does have highlighting, a dictionary (but only 1 that I could see) & very easy page turns either with the buttons, swipe or tap.
Very interesting! It's nice to hear a little about it. Sounds like the only non-sony ereader that would tempt me at this point. And mainly for this one tiny feature (bolded above). Why, oh why can't I tap to turn pages?? I still cannot master that blasted swipe, and I don't even want to swipe! I want to tap!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I am tempted, but my 350 does all the things I need it to do, so I am trying to resist! I don't want to spend money I don't have on something I don't need. Trying to keep this as my mantra.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
pinklotus
Enthusiast
pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
Thanks for sharing your observations. GraceKrispy, I would love being able to tap the screen, too!
pinklotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Like Pomtroll, I visited a B&N store too and I am impressed (you can check my review on Nook's forum)

For those USA customers and looking for their 1st eink device and touch screen, think twice before buying a Sony. I honestly don't see a reason why spend more than 200 on a new Sony. The new Nook feels and works great! Light, fast, cheap and solid too.

If you own a Kindle 3 or Sony already, I would not justify the change though unless, you are really unsatisfied with your current device/store.

B&N: good job!

Last edited by jocampo; 06-02-2011 at 11:04 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not unhappy with my 350 device itself, I like the pocketability and screen, I'm not a fan of the sony reader store thou, its a mess to find anything. I much prefer B&N online store. What other places can you buy mass market ebooks for the sony ?
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
I'm not unhappy with my 350 device itself, I like the pocketability and screen, I'm not a fan of the sony reader store thou, its a mess to find anything. I much prefer B&N online store. What other places can you buy mass market ebooks for the sony ?
I recommend the sticky thread at the top of the forum for bookstore options. Borders, Kobo, Booksonboard and ebooks.com are some of the more popular alternatives to the Sony store. I like the website inkmesh.com for price comparison shopping.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
The Nook? I don't think so. I prefer reading in peace without having to worry about recharging too often.
The Nook? Just a simplified tablet, not an ereader. Tempting, though

Edit: I meant the Nook Color. Gues you all meant the other one, the e-ink device. That one indeed really looks great! But they don't sell it outside the US (?)

Last edited by adbosch; 06-03-2011 at 03:06 PM.
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So if I Download a book from Borders/Kobo , how do I get it onto my Sony?
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This belongs in the nook forum
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I never visit the Nook forum, so I'm glad it was posted here, I'd never have seen it otherwise.

And to me, it seems appropriate for this forum because of comparing the touch screens, which I'm very interested in hearing a Sony user's opinion of the new Nook instead of primarily Nook lovers lavishing even more love on the new Nook without ever having used the Sony to compare it to.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
JSWolf I put this here because I think even though we are Sony users & love our devices we are curious about what is new in e-readers. & I put it here because I know so many want a Sony650 but can't get one. So this Nook Touch would do for anyone here in the USA. It would be nice if it were international.

Am I going to get one? I am tempted because the screen has better contrast & more fonts & font sizes. BUT there are other things the Sony has going for it that keep me from getting one. I have no intention of getting rid of my 350.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
I am tempted, but my 350 does all the things I need it to do, so I am trying to resist! I don't want to spend money I don't have on something I don't need. Trying to keep this as my mantra.
Its people like you that are destroying our wonderful capitalist - oops, sorry, democratic world.

But nice to see the Hari Krishna's didn't fall on totally deaf ears .....

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
ChrisCs
ChrisCs doesn't litterChrisCs doesn't litter

Device: Sony (PRS-600 & 650), iPad + Marvin (Mini & Air 2), Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
So if I Download a book from Borders/Kobo , how do I get it onto my Sony?
The download from Borders/Kobo will be a file with an .ascm extension.

You can open that file with the Sony Reader library and the book will be added to your library and you can load it onto your Sony from there. I use a Mac but it's generally the same for Windows: right click on the file, pick 'Open With' and select Sony Reader library.

The Reader library does this behind the scenes when you buy a book from the Sony Bookstore, but it works for any bookstore that sells ePub using Adobe DRM - Kobo, Borders, BooksOnBoard, etc.
ChrisCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
JSWolf I put this here because I think even though we are Sony users & love our devices we are curious about what is new in e-readers. & I put it here because I know so many want a Sony650 but can't get one. So this Nook Touch would do for anyone here in the USA. It would be nice if it were international.

Am I going to get one? I am tempted because the screen has better contrast & more fonts & font sizes. BUT there are other things the Sony has going for it that keep me from getting one. I have no intention of getting rid of my 350.
There is no way I'd go to B&N, look at the nook and then post about it in say the Amazon forum. That's just wrong. Please ask a mod to move this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote