Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
downtime
downtime began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
Finding downloaded files

I just set up my PRS500 today (so I'm a newbie). I have downloaded a book from the Connect site and have messed around a bit with Book Designer and ABC Amber Sony Converter.

The book downloaded into the Library and I was able to get it onto the reader. Because of my eyesight, I have to set the text size to the medium setting. However, at this size the right-justification increases the word spacing so much that it is very difficult to read.

So, I would like to change the formatting of the book so that the paragraphs are left-justified. From reading here it seems that is done by first converting the file to plain text or html and then opening it in Book Designer and applying the verse style to the paragraphs. However, I cannot discover where on the hard drive the downloaded file resides.

Does anyone know? I tried to find this information already posted, but couldn't.

Thank you for your help.
downtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
Sorry, I don't think you can do it.
The file in encrypted, it has copy(right) protection mechanism.
ABC Amber can only process non-encrypted stuff.

Annoying, isn't it?
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
downtime

Thanks for your reply, sic. Do you know if all (or most) of the books on the Sony Connect have both DRM and right-justified paragraphs?
Old 06-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They all have DRM, so far as I know, but I believe they're pretty much all full justified. You're not the first to have a problem with the font size, either. It varies a bit from book to book but they all seem to be at least a bit on the small side.

Whatever you do, please do report it to the ConnStore folks, the more people who complain, the more likely it becomes that they might actually do something about it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Reader's BBeB viewer does full justification on all text. AFAIK there is no way to specify justification in the format.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is align on TextStyle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Reader's BBeB viewer does full justification on all text. AFAIK there is no way to specify justification in the format.
if you were to use BD and generate a Librie file instead of a Sony Reader file, you would have left justified text on your Reader. It's a matter of how it's specified to be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
I just set up my PRS500 today (so I'm a newbie). I have downloaded a book from the Connect site and have messed around a bit with Book Designer and ABC Amber Sony Converter.

The book downloaded into the Library and I was able to get it onto the reader. Because of my eyesight, I have to set the text size to the medium setting. However, at this size the right-justification increases the word spacing so much that it is very difficult to read.

So, I would like to change the formatting of the book so that the paragraphs are left-justified. From reading here it seems that is done by first converting the file to plain text or html and then opening it in Book Designer and applying the verse style to the paragraphs. However, I cannot discover where on the hard drive the downloaded file resides.

Does anyone know? I tried to find this information already posted, but couldn't.

Thank you for your help.
I have the same problem with some books I purchased via the Connect store. But because these books are full of DRM, there is currently not a think you can do to change them. But please do contact Sony and let them know. The more that do, the better chance they might actually get the publishers to change how it's formatted. The other problem I had was too wide a margin. If that's also a problem you see, please report that too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:53 AM   #9
LBalsam
LBalsam began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I also have poor vision and always use the largest font size. I have never found the margins to be a problem in any book I have purchased from Connect.

One thing that does frustrate me is that not all books from Connect are the same font size, so some enlarge more than others. There seem to be two font sizes. The larger one is perfect for me at it's largest enlargement the other is a little small. The particularly annoying thing is that it seems to be random, there are both font sizes even within a series of books I bought by the same author.

Please Sony, in the future always use the larger of your two fonts and offer even more enlargement.

As a low vision person the Reader has been great for me. On the largest size with the larger of the two fonts it is very comfortable for me to read.
LBalsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:21 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Issues such as font size are determined by the publisher; they are out of Sony's control.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #11
downtime

So, the Connect files reside somewhere (no one seems to know where) on the hard drive. I am on vacation using someone else's computer. When I go back to my own machine, will I be able to drag the books I've purchased off of the Reader into the library? Or will I have to download them again (assuming that is possible)? TIA

Passable typography is possible by formatting text from Gutenberg and saving as rtf. This allows most TrueType and some OpenType fonts to be embedded and the Reader seems to respect the size choices also. If a protected OpenType font is used, however, Connect Reader crashes.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
So, the Connect files reside somewhere (no one seems to know where) on the hard drive. I am on vacation using someone else's computer. When I go back to my own machine, will I be able to drag the books I've purchased off of the Reader into the library? Or will I have to download them again (assuming that is possible)? TIA
Easiest thing to do is to re-download them from Connect.

Quote:
Passable typography is possible by formatting text from Gutenberg and saving as rtf. This allows most TrueType and some OpenType fonts to be embedded and the Reader seems to respect the size choices also. If a protected OpenType font is used, however, Connect Reader crashes.
I don't believe that the RTF file format supports font embedding. LRF and PDF do, but not. AFAIK, RTF.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
On my computer, the books are found by doing this:

Go to the Desktop.

Click on the folder: My Documents.
Click on the folder: My Books.
Click on the folder: Connect Reader.

That's where my Connect books are stored that I purchased.

I hope this helps.

----I just realized that it might not be the books you're talking about, but rather the install files for Connect.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:42 AM   #14
downtime

Thanks Harry & Don. You are both right on both accounts.

It did appear as though the fonts were being embedded in rtf because the reader respects whether the typeface was serifed or unserifed. On further inspection they were merely the fonts on the reader. Which ones are those by the way? Times New Roman & Arial?

The embedding was wishful thinking proving again as Pope wrote, that "hope springs eternal in the human breast."
Old 06-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The Reader has three fonts built in, which are versions of Courier, Arial (Swiss), and Times Roman, respectively.

Font embedding is supported by the Reader, but you need the right document format for it - either PDF or the Reader's native "LRF" format.