Notices

Old 07-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
BonnieJoDouglas
Thespian Extraordinaire
BonnieJoDouglas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smashwords - yay or nay?

Hi everyone

I'm already on Kindle and am contemplating Nook, but have heard mixed reviews about Smashwords. Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's the bees knees!

Is it a good way to sell e-books? Obviously, it's not as popular as say, Amazon but is it worthwhile doing?

Sorry if this sounds a bit vague. Have a headache from a looooong day's writing.

BonnieJoDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
There's no harm in it since it's free, but don't expect many sales. Only really useful for access to iBooks and Barnes & Noble really, but watch out for discounts they might apply because that will also affect your price at Amazon. There's also Lulu.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I use it but not often. I tend to find the books I want elsewhere & then go to Smashwords to see if they have it. If they do I buy it there.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Smashwords is a wast of time. The code that comes from DOC to ePub is awful and I won't buy there. I don't like the meatgrinder they use. I prefer clean code if at all possible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
melaniejaxn
Enthusiast
melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Smashwords can get your books into Sony, Kobo and other outlets that won't let authors upload directly. I make almost nothing off smashword sales, but a lot from the places where they place my books.

Formatting weirdness can happen anywhere. At least you can talk to a human and get help at smashwords :-).
melaniejaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I have bought several hundred books at Smashwords. Rarely have I found a problem with the formatting. Smashwords is my preferred place of purchase.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
If the book is sold at Amazon and Smashwords, I prefer to buy at Smashwords. DRM free and different formats ftw.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
Native
Cozy Bumpkin Stories
Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm on Amazon through KDP and Createspace, and both were miserable experiences compared to dealing with Smashwords. I know that runs counter to a lot of Smashwords disgruntlement, but to me, their "Style Guide," good or bad, is at least a responsible attempt at guidance, whereas the others pass you off to a forum to fish for clues about who you should listen to about clues. Also, for prices under $2.99 they return a better percentage to the author than Amazon. I try to direct folks to Smashwords whenever I can.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
If the book is sold at Amazon and Smashwords, I prefer to buy at Smashwords. DRM free and different formats ftw.
I agree. I always check the Amazon bargain blogs and see which of the books are at Smashwords too. I like being able to download DRM-free.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
I buy from Smashwords and haven't come across any hinky formatting.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I buy from Smashwords; it's the only self-publishing ebook store I buy from. (I don't deal with DRM at all, and I'm not willing to install special programs just to shop somewhere. If I can't buy-and-download as normal files, I don't bother.)

I've run across bad formatting that I believe was from sheer carelessness--uploading files without checking the instructions at all. I've run across many more ebooks that have run-on chapters (no page break for chapters) and no table of contents. I consider those tolerable errors.

I don't browse much at Smashwords, because the search capabilities are exceedingly limited. It's like digging through boxes at a rummage sale; it's fine when I've got no idea what I want and just want something to throw ideas at me, but when I want a specific subgenre or topic, I search elsewhere, then go to Smashwords to see if they've got that specific book or author.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #12
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Never had any problems with Smashwords, no complaints from me.

Glad to see authors like them too.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Remember, Amazon only sells to Kindles, and Barnes&Noble only sells to Americans (US of). If you want world-wide sales, Smashwords can get your books into Kobo, Sony, and Apple, as well as Amazon and B&N. Somebody should figure out what percentage of the English-reading world those 300 million Americans amount to - 30% or less?
Just follow their style guide and your book will come out at least OK, if not excellent.
I prefer to buy direct from authors, if possible, then from Smashwords, and lastly from the big distributors. I don't like booting up Windows just to have to deal with Adobe DRM.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniejaxn View Post
Smashwords can get your books into Sony, Kobo and other outlets that won't let authors upload directly. I make almost nothing off smashword sales, but a lot from the places where they place my books.

Formatting weirdness can happen anywhere. At least you can talk to a human and get help at smashwords :-).
Hi Melanie. I get most of your books through Smashwords & have had no problems.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can also get your books into Kobo, Sony, and Apple through a distribution service like INgrooves. It takes five percent of sales, but at least you can control the quality of the product, as well as price and DRM.

I'm considering uploading to Smashwords just for the ability to offer coupon codes, but I'm not sure yet.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote