Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
As the Kindle runs Linux and there are no known Linux viruses in the wild, whatever slowdown is not virus caused.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:47 AM   #17
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by waller4343 View Post
So I delete a lot of books and that leaves the search indexes for the deleted books causing slowdowns.

If all you do is add to your Kindle then you don't need to remove the indexes. Even if you have deleted a few books it might not be worth the time and effort. But if you delete 50, 100 or more books over time then it might be worth the indexing time it takes. And you probably already know that indexing is a battery drainer, that is why I leave it plugged in. If I am reading by an outlet it is just as easy to read with it plugged in. It will still index unplugged but you won't have much charge by the time it is done.

Yes, you would remove the files in the search index folder. On my Kindle it's Kindle O:\system\Search Indexes. Open the Search Indexes folder and delete all the files in it. There should be a .db, .lg and a file for every book on your Kindle. Delete them all. The .db and .lg will be recreated when you eject the Kindle and it starts to index. Bricorn indexed for 6 hours for about 300 books. I indexed for 36 hours for 1300 books. YMMV if you have mostly large books, I have a broad mixture of pulp novels, historical fiction, encyclopedias and graphic intensive books. My Que software books seem to take forever.
All right; just for statistics. I cleaned up the Search Indexes folder of one of my Kindles and deleted all (with fingers crossed, I must say).
Then I waited for my Kindle to index all the books again
----I kept it on the charger the whole time (not via USB on the PC)
------1220 items took 22 hours to re-index.

My Kindle is a lot faster now. As for the battery; too early to tell.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:31 AM   #18
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
All right; just for statistics. I cleaned up the Search Indexes folder of one of my Kindles and deleted all (with fingers crossed, I must say).

My Kindle is a lot faster now. As for the battery; too early to tell.
Looks like I have a chore to do tomorrow which is a public holiday here for Australia Day.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #19
waller4343
Enthusiast
waller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle DX, K3, iPad
Desertblues, It is a bit unnerving to delete 1222 files, isn't it.

Puska, good luck.
waller4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #20
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes thanks, very unnerving; as I already had one Kindle exchanged. My one weakness is cleaning; not only my house, but also computerfiles and such. That has gotten me into trouble more than once.
But all went smoothly. I guess, like you mentioned, that it isn't something to do each week. There has to be a reason for it; like sluggish Kindle after frequent deleted books.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Ok.

But what about that Flashy.exc file that was mentioned?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #22
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:

Puska, good luck.
I regularly copy all files from Kindle to PC. I don't know if it's necessary, but bad experiences with other electronics make me a belt-and-braces guy.

Before deleting, I made a fresh copy.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #23
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
I regularly copy all files from Kindle to PC. I don't know if it's necessary, but bad experiences with other electronics make me a belt-and-braces guy.

Before deleting, I made a fresh copy.
Yes, you're right. I do always back up the contents of the Kindle, also on my time-machine and an external disk.
But even with all that, I sometimes manage to clean up too much. Well, one lives and learns. But this time is was allright.