shayaknyc
Enthusiast
shayaknyc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

Good pickup

Maybe someone could try disabling the MSI Rollback functionality, see ==>> Basics of MSI Rollback

BR
I don't think that's a good idea.... Because when I get that error, it does rollback the installation progress at that point. I think just the installer got borked or something.....idk.... I can wait.... I'm not stringent on Calibre updates lol
shayaknyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:51 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayaknyc View Post
I don't think that's a good idea.... Because when I get that error, it does rollback the installation progress at that point. I think just the installer got borked or something.....idk.... I can wait.... I'm not stringent on Calibre updates lol
There was an implied 'temporarily' in my suggestion, it's now explicit.

Hopefully someone will try running SFC, a corrupted Installer is one of the few things I've ever know SFC to actually fix.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2021, 02:52 AM   #18
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Hopefully someone will try running SFC, a corrupted Installer is one of the few things I've ever know SFC to actually fix.
I ended up blocking the Microsoft support forums from my search results:

User: [describes error]
Moderator: Try sfc /scannow!
Moderator: (marks their post as best answer and thread as Solved)

Every. Damn. Time.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:49 AM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I ended up blocking the Microsoft support forums from my search results:

User: [describes error]
Moderator: Try sfc /scannow!
Moderator: (marks their post as best answer and thread as Solved)

Every. Damn. Time.
With the price of fish, that has to do what?

BR
Old 09-25-2021, 06:40 AM   #20
nAhu
Enthusiast
nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: Kobo Glo (kobo4)
Hi,
Same problem here, usual way of updating does not work and getting the RBF error.
sfc /scannow report no error
rebooting and trying again same problem

I had finally be able to install with launching the installer ./calibre-64bit-5.28.0.msi thru an admin cmd line (as you can not right clic for launching as an admin).

The normal way it asked for right for modification thru UAC but after it seems to loose the admin rights. Previous updates never done this.

Last edited by nAhu; 09-25-2021 at 06:45 AM.
nAhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2021, 10:48 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
did you follow the instructions (read the MS help) for running-fixing with SFC?

You do not get the full tool from a user. You have to do a special set of steps while booting (Been there and no, I don't remember, except it is done EARLY while booting)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:59 AM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Folk
We are going to need more info about your setups to track this interaction fail

What type of HW: Desktop, Tablet, Laptop is running W10.

W10 Version ... (you can copy this from the System screen)
eg.
Code:
Edition	Windows 10 Pro
Version	21H1
Installed on	‎05/‎31/‎20
OS build	19043.1237
Experience	Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0
non-standard or helper accessories (other than standard Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor)

IMHO this has to be some sort of Helper App or Device (remember the Graphics Tablet that would not play nice?)
Old 09-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #23
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Here is another puzzle!! I was able to install 5.28 on both my Surface Go 2 & the HP laptop; both were bought recently within 2 years. The laptop has win 10 Home 64-bit while the surface go 2 has win 10 pro 64-bit & both are at win 10 21H1 as is my desktop which has win 10 pro 64-bit & has the problem installing 5.28.

The OS build for the Surface is the same as the desktop! However, I think that both the Surface Go 2 & the laptop are eligible for upgrade to win 11 when released in Oct.

Last edited by crane3; 09-25-2021 at 04:02 PM. Reason: correct error
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:40 PM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nAhu View Post
. . .
I had finally be able to install with launching the installer ./calibre-64bit-5.28.0.msi thru an admin cmd line (as you can not right clic for launching as an admin).

The normal way it asked for right for modification thru UAC but after it seems to loose the admin rights. Previous updates never done this.
Thanks for letting us know about this.

@crane and others, perhaps this might work for you.

BR
Old 09-25-2021, 09:50 PM   #25
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Looks like running as admin will work. I have Total Commander & am able to run it as admin which can execute the 5.28 msi to completion.

Hindsight now need me to check on the surface tablet & laptop if I was running as a local user or the "installer" with the ms account.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:51 AM   #26
shayaknyc
Enthusiast
shayaknyc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
So, I tried to install via admin command shell executing the msi directly and that did the trick. What's weird, is that if I just execute the msi as my regular, non-admined user, as soon as it executes, it triggers the UAC to permit "admin" execution, but then it fails with that error. Something's weird.
shayaknyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:21 PM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayaknyc View Post
Something's weird.
Sure is

If I just execute the msi as my regular, non-admined user, as soon as it executes, it triggers the UAC to permit "admin" execution, and providing I respond positively it completes successfully.

What about other installs, I've recently installed new versions of Notepad++ and Firefox similarly. Be good to know of this issue is peculiar to calibre.

BR
Old 09-26-2021, 07:54 PM   #28
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I'm curious what level of UAC everyone's having. I'm on level 3 ("Notify me when apps try to make changes to my computer (default)") with no issues.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:38 PM   #29
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I'm curious what level of UAC everyone's having. I'm on level 3 ("Notify me when apps try to make changes to my computer (default)") with no issues.

BR
Old 09-26-2021, 10:02 PM   #30
theducks
Well trained by Cats

also