Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #46
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I am completely spoiled with the beautiful, flawless display of my H20 and I take it with me everywhere.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #47
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I am completely spoiled with the beautiful, flawless display of my H20 and I take it with me everywhere.
Eeeeee... Stop it! You're going to make me go buy one!
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #48
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I have a feeling I will end up following your lead. After all, it's really not that much bigger than my PW2. What's sad is my PW2 ,which I thought was really very good, looks very blueish pink in the dark to me now. gak. It's made me realize that I much prefer slightly warmer screens, something I hadn't realized before I had both to compare.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 11-05-2014 at 01:30 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #49
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Stingo, great review. Awesome info. I should have hired you to do this review for my blog!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #50
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Although most everyone here seems to be considering the H2O or Voyage -- on the Kobo thread there were reports that using perkopolis at checkout results in 10 percent off the Aura. I saw at least one person say they were interested in the Aura for the size. I better double check the spelling of that coupon code. I think it only works in the US and Canada and some report it only works in Canada. I used it on books for 40 percent off, but have not tried it on the devices.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #51
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
*raises hand* count me in too
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #52
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
Eeeeee... Stop it! You're going to make me go buy one!
You will not be disappointed!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #53
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You will not be disappointed!
Shhhh...

I'm having a hard enough time resisting as it is. I've come very close two or three times now. The good news/bad news is that it can be had by visiting indie booksellers, the good/bad part is that though there are many around where I live, none are close. I really, really need to keep my $ in my pocket for the next few months. After that, I'm thinking all bets are off and I'll find a Kobo to look at, if not to buy.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #54
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Aw, c'mon pghaworth, giving in to temptation is half the fun.

Thanks for the nice compliment Maria.

I am now going on my third week using the H2O and I still find my change very rewarding. Unfortunately my PW2 is sitting idly.

One thing that I did not expect was the thrill of carrying a huge library with me. I've converted and installed over 5 gigs of kepubs on a microsd. All of them sorted into different shelves. Having so many reference works available anywhere with or without wifi is empowering.

I am also still amazed at the battery life on the H2O. Very nice.

So far I already received one firmware upgrade and no software glitches.

Bigger size is less comfortable than the Voyage but that is the price of the larger screen.

Happy with my choice.

Last edited by Stingo; 11-06-2014 at 05:48 AM.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #55
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
One thing that I did not expect was the thrill of carrying a huge library with me. I've converted and installed over 5 gigs of kepubs on a microsd. All of them sorted into different shelves. Having so many reference works available anywhere with or without wifi is empowering.
I miss having all my books with me, really miss, without a cloud. The cloud is fine and I use it, but I also want direct access so that I don't have to fiddle with wifi if I don't want to. Sometimes you just want to look at all your books, easily, and sometimes you aren't where you have wifi, etc.

I will always love my Kindles, but that doesn't mean I can't love something else, too. We're not married.

ETA - and having the reference works available! Very heady stuff. Okay, now I'm aching, actually aching for a Kobo. I'm sick, soooo sick. I am a very sick puppy!
Old 11-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #56
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

With the Voyage and my PWs we have what's called "Experimental Browser", a way to get to the web in a very limited fashion. Does the H2O have a similar feature? This was one reason I stayed away from Kobo. The specs are very similar to the PW.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #57
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Aw, c'mon pghaworth, giving in to temptation is half the fun.
Tell me about it. I actually took a day off work to wait for the parcel and then I had more than half a day of peace and quiet to inspect it and play. I can't imagine reading on anything else now.

Quote:

Okay, now I'm aching, actually aching for a Kobo. I'm sick, soooo sick. I am a very sick puppy!
Gadgetitis in full bloom. Incurable. Actually there is only one way to relieve the symptoms... you know what I gave in even though I shouldn't have spent money either. But, you know what, I've never seen a screen like this...

Last edited by Chi Cygni; 11-05-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #58
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Gadgetitis in full bloom. Incurable. Actually there is only one way to relief the symptoms... you know what I gave in even though I shouldn't have spent money either. But, you know what, I've never seen a screen like this...
Wow! You guys are terrible enablers! A 10-step program for eReaders is definitely needed here.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #59
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
With the Voyage and my PWs we have what's called "Experimental Browser", a way to get to the web in a very limited fashion. Does the H2O have a similar feature? This was one reason I stayed away from Kobo. The specs are very similar to the PW.
The web is under settings, beta features. I find it works better than the one on my PW2 for example I can upload an epub into Dropbox and easily access Dropbox on my H20 and download it. Dropbox no longer works for the kindle browsers.

I've also got an 8gb SD card installed. I only have 600 books installed but I can have thousands more if I want. The Kobo H20 has 4gb onboard storage just like the Voyage and recent PW2s

It also has Chess, Sketchpad and Sudoku as well as the ability to sync with pocket. I have over 400 unread articles in pocket.

Last edited by Josieb1; 11-05-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #60
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

Quote:
Wow! You guys are terrible enablers! A 10-step program for eReaders is definitely needed here.
whoooo, meeee? *bats eyelids*

oh well, time for bed here