Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-27-2015, 07:23 AM   #166
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NG,NSTG,NST,AuraHD,OnyxT68,Lynx, BoyueT62,NGP,Aura1,Oasis,Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Nook switched their DRM keys they are no longer based on the famous social DRM so ADE doesn't know how to transfer Nook books anymore.

You will need to use Alf's tools...
My research indicates that ADE doesn't support MTP based devices. That's why it doesn't work w/ NGP ...
And bc of that I'm not sure if it's going to be easy/quick to have a fix for it: ADE needs to be updated on Adobe's side ... do you think they're going to do it just for the sake of one device ?

Alternatively the B&N might update their NGP software to allow choosing between MTP and USB Mass Storage, same as some phones do ... that will allow us to go back to the way things used to be. IMHO that's the quickest way to have a fix in the market.
dnastase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:26 AM   #167
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
One thing that I noticed is that the touch screen seems to be less sensitive than the Nook Glowlight. Which is counter intuitive since they moved to the capacitive screen which is supposed to be more sensitive, not less. But I definitely notice a difference.
Maybe it's the extra anti-glare coating ... or some waterproofing layer ... ?!
Man, this is really annoying. Probably three out of four times it doesn't work from the first touch ... And it doesn't seem to be the pressure but how long you touch the screen, like it needs time to realize you're touching ...
Old 10-27-2015, 07:49 AM   #168
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
They switched keys, but I'm pretty sure they stayed with Adobe Adept. They just no longer use your credit card as verification to decrypt the DRM.
Isn't that what I said?

They no longer use their "Social DRM" to generate the keys.

The fact that it still uses Adobe ADEPT in the backend is not useful information for reading Nook purchases on a Kobo -- though the reverse would be true.
(Rather counter-intuitive. Nook should want people buying their ebooks more than their ereaders.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:52 AM   #169
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My research indicates that ADE doesn't support MTP based devices. That's why it doesn't work w/ NGP ...
And bc of that I'm not sure if it's going to be easy/quick to have a fix for it: ADE needs to be updated on Adobe's side ... do you think they're going to do it just for the sake of one device ?

Alternatively the B&N might update their NGP software to allow choosing between MTP and USB Mass Storage, same as some phones do ... that will allow us to go back to the way things used to be. IMHO that's the quickest way to have a fix in the market.
Except what I said had purely to do with the reading of Nook ebooks on other brands of devices -- something that used to be possible through their "Social DRM" which was connected with ADE.

That applies equally to the NST.

You are certainly correct though that a firmware update to make the NGP use USBMS instead of MTP would solve a lot of problems.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #170
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Why do you want to use the Windows 8 app?
I have some magazines from BN that I would like to view on my computer. I have a HP Stream 7 with Windows 8 that works great. My computer has Windows 10 that does not. Nook for PC won't let you view magazines.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #171
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I have some magazines from BN that I would like to view on my computer. I have a HP Stream 7 with Windows 8 that works great. My computer has Windows 10 that does not. Nook for PC won't let you view magazines.
That kind of stinks.

But I seem to recall prior mention -- somewhere -- that magazines on B&N were, um, difficult.

I cannot understand why B&N seemingly restricts which devices you can download a perfectly ordinary EPUB on.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:57 AM   #172
dnastase
Addict

I don't own B&N bought books so I don't know, but: doesn't the Nook show the B&N bought books in the Archive and can then be downloaded directly from Nook ?
That's how Kindle works and that would alleviate the need for the ADE...
Old 10-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #173
dnastase
Addict

Based on a similar trick for the NG found how to access the builtin browser (I was wrong, there is one). It's not practical, but in case one needs it, it may be worth it:
- go in a book
- try to share on Facebook
- in the dialog that pops up to login press "Help Center"
- a browser will pop up
Old 10-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #174
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
The Nook apps for PC have always been limited in their capabilities. To my knowledge, there isn't a current Nook app for Mac. You have to hunt down Nook Study, which I did. I can download any of my Nook books with that. Then Calibre can do its magic as needed. As for Nook magazines, they look fine on the Nook iPad app or on the NGP. However, Kindle has more magazines available.

Yes, on any Nook app or device, you can download any B&N purchased books or magazines from the archive, even magazines whose subscriptions you have stopped. (You can download those issues you paid for.) There was an issue about not being able to download Nook books on the PC app. I don't know if that is still an issue or not.
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #175
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Based on a similar trick for the NG found how to access the builtin browser (I was wrong, there is one). It's not practical, but in case one needs it, it may be worth it:
- go in a book
- try to share on Facebook
- in the dialog that pops up to login press "Help Center"
- a browser will pop up
Good find. I'll check that out!
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #176
dnastase
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
The Nook apps for PC have always been limited in their capabilities. To my knowledge, there isn't a current Nook app for Mac. You have to hunt down Nook Study, which I did. I can download any of my Nook books with that. Then Calibre can do its magic as needed. As for Nook magazines, they look fine on the Nook iPad app or on the NGP. However, Kindle has more magazines available.

Yes, on any Nook app or device, you can download any B&N purchased books or magazines from the archive, even magazines whose subscriptions you have stopped. (You can download those issues you paid for.) There was an issue about not being able to download Nook books on the PC app. I don't know if that is still an issue or not.
But then I don't understand why ADE is so important.
One can just download the payed for books (that are under DRM protection) directly on the NGP. What am I missing ?
Old 10-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #177
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
One can just download the payed for books (that are under DRM protection) directly on the NGP. What am I missing ?
Library books, Kobo books....
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:23 AM   #178
dnastase
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Library books, Kobo books....
Oh. Got it now!
Old 10-28-2015, 10:23 AM   #179
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
You're missing the part where we are talking about books that weren't sold by B&N, but were checked out from the library or purchased at another ADE-compliant store.

EDIT: Okay, I really need to be more consistent about reloading the page before replying.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #180
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
This is my take on the device (I have it for 3 days and I really wanted to like it). I think some of it was already mentioned here:

1. Bad screen contrast - not comfortable. Screen is very sharp - as it should be, but the contrast is so bad it is difficult to read and any angle but strait, no matter what back lighting settings are chosen.

2. Noticeable input lag. Has wide implications - for example it is difficult to type on on-screen keyboard and very difficult to change level of lighting.

3. Constant full screen refresh when using any menu commands.

4. Home button is not working consistently - when it is working at all. Just try to leave menu.

5. During reboot from time to time device decides that its screen or battery is too cold: "Your Nook is too cold, please try again in several minutes".

6. Multiple hiccups in the UI - for example from time to time some UI elements are not grayed when they should be (just try scrolling up/down "My Files" and watch on screen arrows).

7. Laughable book handling - library is so limited, it is hard to believe. Do not even want to start describing.

8. Same goes for "Settings" - it is not "simplicity" it something else entirely.

9. Multiple bad UI design choices, the most needed changes are very difficult to make. Sometimes it simply impossible - level of lighting is a simple analog control without ANY ability to make precision setting. Add touch lag to that and it is not possible to use, especially on a bus or train. Same goes for font size selection - it is a torture to type through sizes. Screen is used poorly in reader, etc.

10. Hyphenation or rather absence of it. Could be remedied somewhat by properly preparing epubs, but why?

11. Outdated font selection on the device - it is year 2015 and every decent manufacturer of eInk reader is using font optimized for that.

All in all some if not most of this could probably be fixed with firmware updates, however one was already issued and we got wonderful "readouts" but no fixes so far. And B&H releasing half baked device makes me wonder about its future... And they want full price - $129 when you could have better device for smaller price... Something is not right here.

Last edited by rupor; 10-28-2015 at 12:41 PM.
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote