Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-12-2022, 09:16 AM   #91
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
And how would a pop-up window that would need to be dismissed or accepted by pushing a button be any improvement over a Find status message that does not have to be dismissed and a restart button to use if and when you want.

Sometimes long time but not well designed interfaces simply need to be redesigned so that more types of searches are made faster/easier.

Sometimes change can be useful. Give it a try.
If you can simply not adapt, then just stick with an older version. Or alternatively build your own at any time.

Last edited by KevinH; 07-12-2022 at 09:19 AM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:54 AM   #92
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I would like to suggest that instead of "No matches found" when the search has ended, perhaps "End of search" or "No further matches" or a similar message be used. "No matches found" states explicity that no matches exist when it's possible they do. Thanks.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2022, 11:01 AM   #93
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You will have visited every single match before that message is produced. If you decided to not replace one or more of the matches, then you know that. And Count will provide the total set of matches that have not been replaced.

As for a slight wording change, we will consider it but that will not change functionality.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:14 AM   #94
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
You will have visited every single match before that message is produced. If you decided to not replace one or more of the matches, then you know that. And Count will provide the total set of matches that have not been replaced.

As for a slight wording change, we will consider it but that will not change functionality.
I understand. "End of search" gives me a hint that restarting might find something that I missed. "No matches found" implies I needn't bother looking any further, which isn't always accurate. Sometimes I get sidetracked in F&R and end up in a different place when I resume the search, so I miss some of the matches.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:22 AM   #95
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay, but once I lose where I am in F&R because of hopping around and editing in CV, I simply use the Restart Search button. That is why it is there. It can be used at any time and for any reason.

So from your perspective, which is better (and why) given it must be translated and understood in about 23 languages or so:

"End of Search"
"No Further Matched Found"
"All Matches Visited"

Last edited by KevinH; 07-12-2022 at 11:26 AM.
Advert
Old 07-12-2022, 11:36 AM   #96
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
Okay, but once I lose where I am in F&R because of hopping around and editing in CV, I simply use the Restart Search button. That is why it is there. It can be used at any time and for any reason.

So from your perspective, which is better (and why) given it must be translated and understood in about 23 languages or so:

"End of Search"
"No Further Matched Found"
"All Matches Visited"
I prefer "End of search" because it implies a restart might find matches I inadvertantly skipped (because "start search" and "end search" are opposites in my mind). "No further matches found" works for me too but isn't quite as intuitive. "All matches visited" doesn't work for me at all, because if I change my location in the epub, then all matches have not been visited.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:03 PM   #97
KevinH
Sigil Developer

To reiterate just in case others have similar issues:

If you manually change locations in CV in your epub in the middle of a multi-file search, you should hit the Restart Search button. That is why it was added.

Last edited by KevinH; 07-12-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:07 PM   #98
icallaci
Guru

I understand. A small thing, I know. "Restart search" and "End of search" seem like an intuitive pairing that would make the meaning clearer than "No matches found." "No matches found" tells me I don't need to search any further because there are no matches available, when there very well may be some matches that were skipped for whatever reason. Thanks for considering it.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:24 AM   #99
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
For what it's worth, I agree with icallaci: "End of search" makes more sense to me than "No matches found". But it's not a big deal to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I understand. A small thing, I know. "Restart search" and "End of search" seem like an intuitive pairing that would make the meaning clearer than "No matches found." "No matches found" tells me I don't need to search any further because there are no matches available, when there very well may be some matches that were skipped for whatever reason. Thanks for considering it.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:08 PM   #100
KevinH
Sigil Developer

This change has just been pushed to master and will appear in the next release of Sigil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I understand. "End of search" gives me a hint that restarting might find something that I missed. "No matches found" implies I needn't bother looking any further, which isn't always accurate. Sometimes I get sidetracked in F&R and end up in a different place when I resume the search, so I miss some of the matches.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:56 PM   #101
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
This change has just been pushed to master and will appear in the next release of Sigil.
Wow! Thank you so much.
Old 08-18-2022, 04:30 PM   #102
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
With the talk of moving to QT6 you might be interested in this thread from calibre --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=348470

If at any time you have a Windows QT6 version available I'll be happy to see it it runs on Windows 10 Pro N

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:40 AM   #103
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Ugh. What a mess if so.

I'll try to get a Qt6 version ready for you to test on N shortly. Feel free to bump this if I forget.

And in the spirit of "don't shoot the messenger": thanks for bringing it to our attention.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:22 AM   #104
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
With the talk of moving to QT6 you might be interested in this thread from calibre --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=348470

If at any time you have a Windows QT6 version available I'll be happy to see it it runs on Windows 10 Pro N

Did you ever get a chance to test Sigil Qt6 on Windows N? I PMed you a link to a beta build a while back.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:29 AM   #105
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Did you ever get a chance to test Sigil Qt6 on Windows N? I PMed you a link to a beta build a while back.
Sorry. I've been kind of out-of-sorts for a few weeks. Will try later today

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote