Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
KMvBC
KMvBC began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, iPhone
DRM books from Calibre to Kobo blank

EPub DRM protected books to Kobo main library will transfer from Calibre to Kobo, but they are blank and will not page advance. Even though a page number is listed... (ie use table of contents to go to a page, then cannot advance from blank page and will read "10 of 402")

The two books I tried it with are both bought (by ME!) using iBooks, and I can't open them in Calibre due to DRM status...

Do I have to prove to them that I am the owner?
KMvBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
As long as you have authorized the Kobo via ADE you should be alright.

Have you tried to sync. one of those books via ADE yet?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
KMvBC

How do I authorize the Kobo? I also downloaded Adobe Digital Editions, and authorized my computer, and the Kobo showed up.

I tried to sync three books, futzed with the "open with" but they're all still blank. Even opening them in the ADE platform.

I just read Calibre's article about DRMs. Does this mean that my books are locked within their apps?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With the Kobo plugged in, ADE should prompt you to "authorize" the device. Do make sure you have set the date / time correctly on it.

See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_eReader point How do I fix the "Content is Locked" message for books with Adobe DRM?
Quote:
To authorize the device and computer:
1. Plug in the Kobo
2. Open ADE
3. You will be prompted to authorize your device with your Adobe ID login
Old 06-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Ah.... I just saw mention of iBooks... Sorry... not at all sure of the DRM present within Apple eBooks.
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Ah.... I just saw mention of iBooks... Sorry... not at all sure of the DRM present within Apple eBooks.
Hi,

This is not a Calibre problem. Welcome to the world of DRM lock-in! Apple's iBooks purchased epubs are NOT compatible with any other epub viewer. Apple decided to use a variation of its own FairPlay DRM which is not compatible at all with Adobe DRM and has not been broken. I'm not even sure anyone cares enough to even try to break it.

Sorry but your Kobo reader simply will never be able to read a DRM iBooks epub. This is why I never buy ebooks via Apple iBooks store. Instead find the same book someplace else (Kobos, Sony, Amazon, etc) and if need be, remove the DRM and make it a standard epub and add it to iBooks for reading.

Vendor lock-in via DRM should be illegal.

My 2 cents.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
KMvBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Vendor lock-in via DRM should be illegal.

My 2 cents.
I agree. . Its very frustrating because I feel like I'm being cheated! Ug. I'm a Mac girl and I like them because they just work... And this isn't...

At least it looks like I can consolidate my b&n and kindle books on my kobo, I hope.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMvBC View Post
I agree. . Its very frustrating because I feel like I'm being cheated! Ug. I'm a Mac girl and I like them because they just work... And this isn't...
Apple's playground is known as a "walled garden" and "they just work" because only things that work are allowed inside that garden. You're trying to get outside the garden, and the corollary to Apple's walled garden philosophy of making sure everything inside that garden "works" is to make sure everything not approved for use inside that garden does "not work." My brother took in his iPhone for warranty repair and they took out the perfectly functional and cheap standard Phillips crosshead screws and put in expensive special "Pentalobe" screws so he couldn't later replace the battery himself from an "outside the garden" supplier.. Apple aggressively defends its garden walls.

I prefer the openness and variety of choice available outside the garden, and I'm willing to live with the occasional inevitable incompatibilities, but many disagree and prefer staying in the garden to make sure everything just works.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
KMvBC

True... But I bet you if apple produced an eInk eReader, they would find a way to get any eBook on it...

I just wish that eBooks were like CDs. it didn't matter if you bought your CD from Strawberry's and had a stereo from Best Buy, it would work. And so would the CD bought from Newbury's Comics. They all were MP3s.

eBooks have too many darn speciallized formats. :-(