Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #61
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Kind of like buyign a Blu ray player, the tech can be used by any manufacturer but If I bought a Craig Blu ray from CVS and it was a piece of crap I wouldn't say that all Blu rays especially by Samsung, Sony, Panasonic were crap..
and this is what's good and bad about android. you can chose to buy a cheap junk tablet/phone if you want or you can drop serious money and grad the high end device.

on one had, android becomes readily available every to every income level. on the other is that the really crappy tablets give android a bad name.

given that the xoom is the highest priced tablet out of the ones coming out in the next month you'd expect premium support. fix it now, because if they don't customers will be lost.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #62
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
So I don't think your case is as much as being an early adopter as it to choosing poor brands.
If someone buys an Android tablet in 2011, they're not really an early adopter. They are the people who waited for a couple years while the early adopters were buying the junk. You are right in that I bought junk... but that's all that Android offered to the early adopters.

Some people consider Archos to be a name-brand company, others consider them to produce junk. Truth is it's probably a little of both. Their first Android fiasco was in the middle of 2009. Folks who bought that were taking the risks, not the folks who waited for decent quality from Motorola or Samsung.

Even the people who bought the first iPad a year ago were more risk-takers than those who waited and finally bit the bullet in 2011 with a Xoom or iPad 2. The folks who buy into any other tablet OS (Playbook WebOS, other) are taking the big risks since these devices are not only costly but also run the risk of disappearing after a couple years.

Last edited by pphilipp; 04-14-2011 at 02:52 PM.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #63
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
and this is what's good and bad about android. you can chose to buy a cheap junk tablet/phone if you want or you can drop serious money and grad the high end device.

on one had, android becomes readily available every to every income level. on the other is that the really crappy tablets give android a bad name.

given that the xoom is the highest priced tablet out of the ones coming out in the next month you'd expect premium support. fix it now, because if they don't customers will be lost.
Oh I agree 100% but it also has it's risks, because alot of times people may unfairly judge all of Android devices based on their expeirence with a lower end one. They can sort of pollute the gene pool if you will.
But I have a friend who loves to tinker so those Walgreen ones, he LOVES them, doesn't spend alot of money and gets to hack away . Though he does know going in that this isn't going to be a high performing device.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #64
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilipp View Post
If someone buys an Android tablet in 2011, they're not really an early adopter. They are the people who waited for a couple years while the early adopters were buying the junk. You are right in that I bought junk... but that's all that Android offered to the early adopters.

Some people consider Archos to be a name-brand company, others consider them to produce junk. Truth is it's probably a little of both. Their first Android fiasco was in the middle of 2009. Folks who bought that were taking the risks, not the folks who waited for decent quality from Motorola or Samsung.

Even the people who bought the first iPad a year ago were more risk-takers than those who waited and finally bit the bullet in 2011 with a Xoom or iPad 2. The folks who buy into any other tablet OS (Playbook WebOS, other) are taking the big risks since these devices are not only costly but also run the risk of disappearing after a couple years.

I hear ya, .
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #65
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The SD card problem and OpenVPN on the Xoom have just been fixed by a friendly hacker http://www.androidcentral.com/motor...e-custom-kernel
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #66
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
The SD card problem and OpenVPN on the Xoom have just been fixed by a friendly hacker http://www.androidcentral.com/motor...e-custom-kernel
Hmm, looks like they took that page down, but I heard about the sd-card fix....hopefully it will be officially released soon.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #67
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
I would not apply any third party fix in something I should receive from Motorola or Google directly.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #68
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I would not apply any third party fix in something I should receive from Motorola or Google directly.
That's why I waited on the official Flash Release.

Last edited by kennyc; 04-14-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #69
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That's why I waited on the official Flash Release.
A very wise decision, in my opinion.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:29 AM   #70
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I think you guys are overly cautious. Tinkering around is fun -- and quite frankly, user ROMs are quite often better than official ones. Especially since big companies like Motorola, HTC, etc never address the small issues. User ROMs are specifically tweaked for speed and added functionality. On my Streak, for example, I could enjoy Flash two months early.

Besides, you can always go back. So I don't see the downside. After all, there is no Steve telling you to "keep your paws of the device I have leased to you!". Anyway, just sharing the information. The rest is up to you. If the link is broken you can still go to xda-developers, Modaco, etc to get the goodies.

Last edited by HansTWN; 04-15-2011 at 12:34 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #71
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
I think you guys are overly cautious. Tinkering around is fun -- and quite frankly, user ROMs are quite often better than official ones. Especially since big companies like Motorola, HTC, etc never address the small issues. User ROMs are specifically tweaked for speed and added functionality. On my Streak, for example, I could enjoy Flash two months early.

Besides, you can always go back. So I don't see the downside. After all, there is no Steve telling you to "keep your paws of the device I have leased to you!". Anyway, just sharing the information. The rest is up to you. If the link is broken you can still go to xda-developers, Modaco, etc to get the goodies.
i too love modding. i'd love to get the tablet that the hacking community supports the most. this is one reason why i hated giving up my nookcolor, there are just tons of tweaks to do on that one.

i'd suppose android's motto should be, "there's a hack for that" as those xda folks fix nearly all the problems you can think of with your android devices.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #72
jocampo
Layback feline

The downside is that you are testing or running a third party version which is not approved by the vendor. You are not confident of what you are installing or which components are being or are not being affected. This is more true now than ever with Honeycomb, because Google has refused to release the source code giving the case of so many broken Froyo versions out there.

It's not an official vendor's release, period. And instead of playing around, it is better to wait and get the Motorola or Google patch.

Of course, owners are free to test and do whatever they want with their devices but with a price tag of 800 bucks I would expect or install something that is coming from the same people who sold the tablet, not an XDA hacker.

Open source is nice and I actually run Linux instead of Windows, but Android and tablets area a bit different; silly tweaks can seriously affect battery's life or even network and filesystem security like leaving open ports or expose sensitive data by mistake.

Last edited by jocampo; 04-15-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #73
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
i too love modding. i'd love to get the tablet that the hacking community supports the most. this is one reason why i hated giving up my nookcolor, there are just tons of tweaks to do on that one.

i'd suppose android's motto should be, "there's a hack for that" as those xda folks fix nearly all the problems you can think of with your android devices.

Wait, so's how come you still have NookColor in your devices list?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #74
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
. but with a price tag of 800 bucks .....
Ummm, more like $600....
Old 04-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #75
madsquabbles
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Wait, so's how come you still have NookColor in your devices list?
too lazy to change it, lol. i'll fix that later.