Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-24-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
mdclanahan
Connoisseur
mdclanahan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 6th Gen
Display custom metadata on Kobo H2O?

I have a custom column in Calibre that I use for page count. Is it possible for the Kobo H2O to display this information somehow?
mdclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclanahan View Post
I have a custom column in Calibre that I use for page count. Is it possible for the Kobo H2O to display this information somehow?
Yes, if you are a calibre user. There are two different methods that I use on all my Kobos.

You can use either or both depending where you want to "see" the page count. This is just an overview of the 2 methods.
  1. If you want it to appear in your MyBooks list you can append it to the book title using a Metadata Plugboard in calibre Prefs.
  2. If you want to add it to the book's Synopsis details you can install the "Kobo Utilities" calibre plugin and use the "Update metadata in device library" option with a custom template whilst your Kobo is connected to calibre via USB.

ETA: I haven't tried this myself but Kobo Utilities also has an option to update the "Subtitle" field on the Kobo so you can probably also add the page count to this field using a template. I think this would also display in the MyBooks list.

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-24-2017 at 05:56 PM. Reason: ETA
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Yes, if you add the number of pages in the subtitle, it appears in the book list (I've included it).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:44 AM   #4
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
  1. If you want it to appear in your MyBooks list you can append it to the book title using a Metadata Plugboard in calibre Prefs.
I use this option, prepending the page count to the title because I generally like to read from shortest book to longest. This way they are sorted in my preferred order.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:28 AM   #5
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I put page numbers in both the subtitle and in the book details with custom templates using the calibre kobo extended driver.

The subtitle shows up in the book listings. I basically dump *all* the book metadata into the details page.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:02 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I put page numbers in both the subtitle and in the book details with custom templates using the calibre kobo extended driver.
(bolding mine)

Surely you mean the calibre Kobo Utilities plugin, don't you?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
(bolding mine)
Surely you mean the calibre Kobo Utilities plugin, don't you?
Sigh. I use both the extended driver and the utilities plugin.
I know the difference, but obviously it's a but fuzzy in my subconscious.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #8
mdclanahan
Connoisseur
mdclanahan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 6th Gen
Quote:
If you want to add it to the book's Synopsis details you can install the "Kobo Utilities" calibre plugin and use the "Update metadata in device library" option with a custom template whilst your Kobo is connected to calibre via USB.
This is exactly what I want, and I already have the "Kobo Utilities" plugin. How do I create this "custom template," though?

Thanks, everyone, for your input!
mdclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclanahan View Post
This is exactly what I want, and I already have the "Kobo Utilities" plugin. How do I create this "custom template," though?
The explanation and some samples are in the Kobo Utilities plugin thread. There is a link from the version history in the first thread to the announcement post which has something. But, a search for "template" in the thread should find the posts.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, custom metadata, h2o, kobo