Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
eskimo49
Addict
eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Question Windows 8 Kindle Reader

I've recently bought a new PC with Windows 8. Does anyone know how to read Mobi files using the Kindle App?

I just don't see any way to add these files from the Kindle App at all, just seems to connect directly with Amazon to download from the CLOUD.
eskimo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
indiaink
sic vita est
indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KK, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo49 View Post
I've recently bought a new PC with Windows 8. Does anyone know how to read Mobi files using the Kindle App?

I just don't see any way to add these files from the Kindle App at all, just seems to connect directly with Amazon to download from the CLOUD.
You'll need to download Kindle for Windows 7 - from a discussion over at Amazon, here's the scoop: Download it here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311

An installer program downloads first. It takes a couple minutes. When it is finished, the Kindle reader will be installed on your machine. When you launch it the first time you will be prompted to register by providing your Amazon.com user name (i.e. e-mail address) and password. After that you are good to go. Click on any .mobi files in your system and Kindle will launch. Click the Library button in Kindle and you will see that each new .mobi title you have clicked on and opened has been added to your library of books.
indiaink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
I haven't blogged it yet, but Kindle for Windows 8 is available, for about a week now, at http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000844301
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
I haven't blogged it yet, but Kindle for Windows 8 is available, for about a week now, at http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000844301
But you can't read a local (non Amazon) mobi file in the Windows 8 "app"... For that you need the Windows 7/Vista/XP version
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #5
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Thanks, hunnymonster. But doesn't just emailing the mobi book to the cloud (which turns it into a Kindle file) allow you to download it to Windows 8, since it's probably best to have that version otherwise?

Since Cloud non-Amazon books can be sync'd between devices now, in general, shouldn't they show up on the Kindle for Win8 that way? Or is Amazon preventing that? Thanks for any info. I don't have windows 8.
Advert
Old 06-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The Windows 8 Kindle App has been available for a hell of a lot longer than a week . It was released at the same time that Windows 8 was, IIRC.

As has been said, though, it can't be used to read "local" content. For that, you need to install the older "Kindle for PC". The two can both be installed on the same PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:36 AM   #7
andrys
Explorer

Harry, sorry. I'm being careless. I meant version 2.0.

I am able to put Gutenberg's mobi files right into my Kindle folder with the Android app, at least, and these are openable under 'Docs' tab on the Kindle Fire and they show up on my Cloud if I put them there as well.

Since many haven't tried that with the Android app (and whoever now takes care of Project Gutenberg has a rant saying those books can't be read on the Kindle Fire tablet), I wondered if this was also possible with the app for Win8. Likely not, as features available on one Kindle app won't show up on other Kindle apps for sometimes a year (if ever).

I realize they're vastly different apps.

For those interested, these are the new features in Kindle for Win8 (in version 2)

"The new version has been updated to include the following:
* Ability to search from inside a book
* Redesigned home screen and in-book navigation
* Easier bookmarking
* Filtering of Notes and Bookmarks
* Option to sample recommended books
* Live Tile displays of the book you're reading
* Updated view options menu, library and search views"

That new-feature set doesn't pertain to the question here but am adding it for those who might find it worthwhile and hadn't seen this yet (announced June 17).

- Andrys
Old 06-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I am able to put Gutenberg's mobi files right into my Kindle folder with the Android app, at least, and these are openable under 'Docs' tab on the Kindle Fire and they show up on my Cloud if I put them there as well.
Yes, you can read local content with both the Android and iOS Kindle apps (and with "Kindle for PC"). But not with the Windows 8 app.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, mobi. windows 8