Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-15-2021, 06:48 PM   #106
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
@BeckyEbook,
I just pushed to master trying your MapVk approach. According to the github site, it did compile successfully.

When you get a chance please run some tests using that approach and see if it works and post the debug output.

If it works well for you (or can be made to) I can fire up a deploy build for RbnJrg to try to see if it helps on his keyboard layout.

Thanks
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:53 PM   #107
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Well, this is the text of the log file:

Code:
Warning: Unable to open default EUDC font: "EUDC.TTE"
Debug: regenerating tag list
Debug: key():  "94"    '^'
Debug: text():  "\u001E"
Debug: nativeVirtualKey():  54
Debug: letter:  "^"
Debug: modifiers:  QFlags<Qt::KeyboardModifier>(ShiftModifier|ControlModifier)
Debug: 

Debug: key():  "94"    '^'
Debug: text():  ""
Debug: nativeVirtualKey():  186
Debug: letter:  "^"
Debug: modifiers:  QFlags<Qt::KeyboardModifier>(ShiftModifier|ControlModifier)
Debug:
First I pressed "Ctrl + Shift + 6" and I tested (nothing happened). After that I tried with "Ctrl + Shift + 0" and "Ctrl + Shift + ^". When I pressed "Ctrl + Shift + 0", nothing happens. I don't know if that combination was recorded or logged.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2021, 07:12 PM   #108
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks RbnJrg.

Wow! It appears your keyboard is doing really strange things that even Qt is not grokking.
It is seeing that char sequence as ending with a ^ no matter what. And u001E is an ascii control character record separator(RS) and I have no idea where that comes from.

Interestingly, the nativeVirtualKey values show you are hitting different keys on the keyboard but Qt thinks it both are the ^ key.

The worst thing is on a standard US Keyboard Shift+6 is a ^ so something in the Qt code is ignoring your keyboard layout.

This is very strange.

Last edited by KevinH; 09-15-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:13 PM   #109
BeckyEbook
Evangelist
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (Key3, PW2, PW3), Nook (ST, GLP), Kobo Touch, Tolino Vision 2
Yes! That's exactly what I meant!

I checked on several keyboard layouts (Polish, German, Spanish) and it worked fine everywhere!
In Shortcuts window I have no junk, no diacritics or unicode characters, but only keyboard accessible ASCII characters and such "clean" shortcuts writes nicely to sigil.ini

After enabling AltGr it gets even better – it works exactly as I imagined it and as described a few posts earlier.
I can have AltGr+Q=@ on the German keyboard layout and at the same time a working shortcut Ctrl+Alt+Q that calls some function in Sigil.

I include debug log with tests for combinations with 1-5 and different modifiers (AltGr on and off).

I hope it will also work well for @RbnJrg.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sigil-debug.txt (16.2 KB, 11 views)
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:22 PM   #110
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@BeckyEbook, I will add some debug output and add deploy to make a new test build for RbnJrg that will hopefully work better.
Advert
Old 09-15-2021, 07:24 PM   #111
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Is the new code viable on Windows 7/8, as well as 10?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:27 PM   #112
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay I just pushed some cleanup for debug output and added deploy so in about 10 or 15 minutes we should have a new test build for RbnJrg that will hopefully fix the Ctrl+SHIFT+6 and related nonsense.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:30 PM   #113
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Is the new code viable on Windows 7/8, as well as 10?
Good Question!

How can I tell if:

MapVirtualKeyW(vk, MAPVK_VK_TO_CHAR);

call exists on Windows7/8?

I will try google.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:34 PM   #114
KevinH
Sigil Developer

It appears to require Windows 2000 pro or later based on this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...mapvirtualkeyw

Is that before or after Windows 7?
Old 09-15-2021, 07:35 PM   #115
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

2K was before 7. We're good.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:39 PM   #116
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@RbnJrg,

Please check your pm, I sent you a new download link to a hopefully better test build.
When you get a channce please re-run your Ctrl+Shift+ ... test cases and share the debug output here.

Thank you!
Old 09-15-2021, 07:40 PM   #117
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
2K was before 7. We're good.
Whew!
Old 09-15-2021, 07:43 PM   #118
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

We even had ME, XP, and Vista as a cushion.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:46 PM   #119
BeckyEbook
Evangelist
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (Key3, PW2, PW3), Nook (ST, GLP), Kobo Touch, Tolino Vision 2
I praised too quickly.
I built the new version faster than deploy and started testing.
I found an exception that causes a problem. If the keyboard layout uses a dead key, then we do see garbage. Fortunately, this keyboard shortcut is not saved in sigil.ini. In my keyboard layout, this key is the one with the tilde (above the tab and below the Escape).
When you press it with any modifier, garbage appears.
This is an extremely rare situation, but it shows that the topic of keyboard shortcuts is not simple, and that Qt does not make life easier for programmers.

Code:
Debug: regenerating tag list
Debug: key():  "126"    '~'
Debug: text():  ""
Debug: nativeVirtualKey():  192
Debug: letter:  "~"
Debug: modifiers:  QFlags<Qt::KeyboardModifier>(AltModifier)
Debug: 

Debug: MapVK_VK_TO_CHAR:  "2147483744"   '`'
Overall, I am satisfied, and let's wait for @RbnJrg and other users to speak.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:05 PM   #120
KevinH
Sigil Developer

According to the MapVK call docs, it sets the high bit of the result if a dead key, so we can screen them out (I think).

Quote:
MAPVK_VK_TO_CHAR
2 The uCode parameter is a virtual-key code and is translated into an unshifted character value in the low order word of the return value. Dead keys (diacritics) are indicated by setting the top bit of the return value. If there is no translation, the function returns 0.
So we can test and remove the high bit if that is the right course of action for shortcuts when diacritic chars are entered.

Last edited by KevinH; 09-15-2021 at 08:09 PM.