Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #31
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Mockingjay, by Suzanne Collins last June. While I still remain committed to paper books, after much dithering, I bought a Nook Color. I was going on a trip and I was tired of lugging around a miniature library every trip, so I downloaded some ebooks. Although I still bought an "airplane reading" book at the airport! lol
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #32
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Author or title, I can't recall, but it was a Project Gutenberg download read on a Palm IIIxe.

Reading the whole thread, it looks like the Palm III line was surprisingly popular for eReading.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 03:49 AM   #33
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I think "Elric of Melnibone" on a Nintendo DS lite using a bypass card.
As soon as the Kobo Touch came out I bought one of those and was hooked on ereaders.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:59 AM   #34
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
First and first...

The first I remember is Last of the Mohicans on a Palm Tungsten, but before that I read something on a Gateway in MS Lit format.
On a true eInk device it was Sh!t my Dad Says on a K2.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #35
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Might have been something on Palm V or E or T3. Certainly read something on N810... Can't remember what though ;D
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #36
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I bought my first eBook many years ago, before I knew the term. I had book club coming up, was stuck in my house in the country with no car, and poking around on the Internet found that I could buy and download it - immediately! It was Memoirs of a Geisha, Adobe PDF DRMed. I started reading it on my laptop and discovered this was NOT enjoyable, so as soon as I could re-bought it in paperback. So I didn't really read the eBook. (I still have the PDF, but several laptops and a new ADE DRM scheme later, can't open it)

Then eReaders came out, but were expensive and Kindle was not available in Canada. I had my iPhone when Kobo was released to market and eInk readers were now affordable. Again for book club, I bought and read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on my iPhone. I quickly saw the benefit of portability, and also having the same book on multiple devices, and it convinced me to take the plunge and get my first eReader, a Kobo.

I'm still not sure whether the convenience and instant gratification of the eBook stores is an advantage or a huge detriment!
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #37
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I used to read a fair amount of short stories on my Palm V. The first "book" was probably Jane Austen's Emma from PG.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #38
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
It was "War of the Worlds" by H. G. Wells, on my Garmin iQue M5 in LIT format.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #39
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Hmm, technical books I've been reading clear back to the PC XT days on PC XTs. Fiction was probably '98 or '99. I don't remember if I had my Rocket first, or Visor first. I had a bible on the Visor in 2000. I did buy the December '99 Webscription when it first came out.
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #40
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
I first read Sherlock Holms on my ipod touch. I read on that for about a year, before I bought a Kobo, where it was an Asimov short story. Returned that for the Kindle, but I don't remember what the first book was on that.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #41
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm another Palm alumnus. I had four or five of them altogether, but I must have started reading on my first PalmPilot.

I can't remember what the first book was, though. I know I read some probably-illegal stuff like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, some Baen Free Library stuff, and some out-of-copyright stuff, including Pride and Prejudice, but I can't remember what was first.

It was very much an emergency backup, though. It wasn't until eInk that I was really happy to read from a screen.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #42
bookfunloving
bookfunloving began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I don't remeber!
bookfunloving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #43
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
"Riding the Bullet" by Stephen King, around 2000 or so, read on my computer.

First ebook read on a device was "Don Quixote," on a Kobo Wifi, in 2011. First purchased ebook was a couple months later on the same device, it was "Everything's Eventual" by Stephen King.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #44
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Ice Hunt (James Rollins) on a Palm lll. Before I needed reading glasses - happy days
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #45
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I'm another Palm alumnus. I had four or five of them altogether, but I must have started reading on my first PalmPilot.

I can't remember what the first book was, though. I know I read some probably-illegal stuff like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, some Baen Free Library stuff, and some out-of-copyright stuff, including Pride and Prejudice, but I can't remember what was first.

It was very much an emergency backup, though. It wasn't until eInk that I was really happy to read from a screen.
I tried finding books for my Palm Pilot, but I couldn't quite figure out how to find and download books that I was interested in reading. I read these threads and I think I didn't try hard enough back then.

I started reading Tom Sawyer on my Compaq iPaq, but I didn't make it very far. I couldn't figure out how to find ebooks for that device either.

The first ebook I read to the end -- not including online fan-fiction -- would have been on my Sony PRS-505 and I *think* that was Sleeping with Schubert: A Novel by Bonnie Marson.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote