Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How often do you charge your Reader?
When it turns off and I can't use it anymore 7 18.42%
When the battery is half-way discharged 4 10.53%
When 1 bar is left 16 42.11%
After 1 bar is gone 8 21.05%
I keep it plugged in all the time 1 2.63%
You mean you have to charge this thing? 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2007, 04:37 AM   #1
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Question How often do you charge your Reader

Since I mentioned it in the "What charger do you prefer" poll, I thought I'd throw this one out there as a poll to see where everyone stands on how often you hook your Reader up to charge.

I personally only charge when the thing shuts off on me, since I'm still skeptical about how often you can charge a battery w/o it developing some type of memory. I know, I know, I checked wikipedia and saw that Li-Ion batteries are reputed to not have the dreaded "memory-effect" that previous Ni-Cad batteries faced, but I'm still skeptical.

How long can I expect a Li-Ion battery to last while it's being used? Is there a specific MTBF (mean time between failures) for this technology? If so, what can we expect and how do we replace our Reader batteries when they do fail?

Just a major concern of mine, fortunately for me in regards to my PDA, I have a spare that I can throw in w/o having to ship it off to $ony to replace. I'm sure it is just a matter of time before some enterprising company starts marketing a replacement battery w/ directions for a DIY, but until...
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:49 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I charge it when I need to add/delete books. Plop it on the cradle, do the book load, and leave it there overnight or until charged completely.

So far that works well. I did end up not reading for a period of time once which completely discharged the battery. Fortunately, I was delighted to find that with a charge I didn't lose any of my books or bookmarks! I realize I might have not been so lucky if I had left it to discharge even longer, but it was certainly a pleasant surprise.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I've only had mine a couple of weeks, and after the first charge I have just plugged it into the pc when loading books. The battery life is simply amazing.

With regard to battery memory, Li Ion batteries do not suffer from the memory effect of the older battery technologies. It is much better to keep them topped off rather than letting them drain completely. Repeated deep draining will decrease the life of these batteries.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:56 AM   #4
quantumskie
quantumskie began at the beginning.

Device: Clié TH-55/Librié
It is not surprising that many people are skeptical of Li-ion battery technology having grown up in the era where ni-cad and ni-mh were popular. In fact many salespeople in Singapore still tell their customers to charge the battery for at least 6 hours before use even though such an instruction is not in the manual.
But in order to convince, there must be some evidence or data to back up the claims that there is indeed no memory effect. Mr Isidor Buchmann has created a wealth of infomation about the batteries we use today as well as how to maintain the batteries in order maximize its use. The website can be found here.
quantumskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
Once a week no matter what. Otherwise when it gets to 1 bar. Not the bar on the corner but that is another story.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert