Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
NewbieNancy
NewbieNancy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch 600
Touch - Deleting Collections Fm Reader

I recently updated Sony software, and like many others, had problems with not being able to access Sony Library. Thanks to several posts on this forum, I fixed this and was able to reinstall the PC Library software. No problem so far. BUT now I have two synch'ed Collections on my reader which are no longer in my PC's Library since it's a new program. PC Library doesn't recognize these Collections, so I can't 'synch' them back up to my PC Library. I also can't delete these Collections on my Reader, and reload all the books, because I get the message "can only delete on the PC created...." They were created on this same PC, but apparently because I had to reload the Library program, the software doesn't know this. HOW CAN I DELETE these Collections from my Reader so I can reload via the PC Library OR how can I 'sync" them back up to the PC Library??? HELP HELP HELP!!!
NewbieNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
NewbieNancy

Sorry, I should also add that I am now using Sony Reader Library software and have a Touch reader. Thanks!
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 01:00 AM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Not sure if you would lose some information from your collections, but try to newly create the collection of your reader in the library program (be careful not to make typos). Maybe the program then recognizes the collection again. After all, it is a database which only compares 2 entries within different tables on different devices.

Good luck
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
NewbieNancy

Thanks Mike, Sadly I tried and failed. Though the sames are identical, the program seems to know that they're not the same. I have all my data/books backed up, so I don't mind deleting and starting from scratch. I'm really really trying to avoid wiping the reader, which may be the only way to get rid of the Collection. After the hours and hours it took getting things fixed after I last downloaded the Sony software, I'm not looking forward to fiddling...this shouldn't be so hard. I can't be the only person this has happenned to - anyone reinstalling the software or changing laptops would have the same problem. Why does Sony make it so difficult to love their reader???
Old 06-16-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieNancy View Post
...this shouldn't be so hard. I can't be the only person this has happenned to - anyone reinstalling the software or changing laptops would have the same problem. Why does Sony make it so difficult to love their reader???
Believe me when I say that you're not the only one! I love my Sony 700, but their software is the problem. I've had mine almost a year and a half and I still haven't figured out how to manage my "Collections". I have duplicate collections and because they were synched, I seem to be stuck with them. Besides collections, I wanted to delete the music files, but it won't let me do that either, because they are synched. I don't (or at least didn't) consider myself technically-challenged, but this software makes me feel like it! A lot of people use Caliber to manage their libraries. I've heard lots of good things regarding it. But I just got tired of messing with mine, afraid of making things worse. Sorry- don't want to be discouraging. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

If you search the Sony forum threads for "collections" and/or "synching", you should find some older threads, that may help you. Good luck!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #6
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
It may not help now, but if you have to wipe your reader, you could just put your books on the reader via drag and drop and then edit stuff within the program.
That's what I do and never had a problem yet as the readers content shows up in the library even without synching.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:41 AM   #7
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
When you were updating, deleting and re-installing Sony Library, did you actally delete the folder containing your books? Can you find them using windows explorer in the 'my documents' folder? If they are still there, use Sony Library to add them back into the library.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote