Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3
Calibre Library backup to Flash Drive

I need a little guidance. I backed up my Library to a flash drive. I intend to backup periodically, but it appears that subsequent backups do not over-write the previous ones. In the end I just deleted and did the backup.
I feel I don't need to do it this way but am not sure of the correct method?. How should I be doing it please?.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
I need a little guidance. I backed up my Library to a flash drive. I intend to backup periodically, but it appears that subsequent backups do not over-write the previous ones. In the end I just deleted and did the backup.
I feel I don't need to do it this way but am not sure of the correct method?. How should I be doing it please?.
Copy the entire Library folder is the proper way.
An incremental update will leave obsolete (renamed or deleted) files.

I would use 2 flash drives and rotate between them as you shold delete the destination folder before coping the newer one.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Copy the entire Library folder is the proper way.
An incremental update will leave obsolete (renamed or deleted) files.

I would use 2 flash drives and rotate between them as you shold delete the destination folder before coping the newer one.
So I did it correctly?.
Thanks for the tip, I'll get an additional flash drive. -
Old 01-25-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
If you are using windows there is a nice free application from Microsoft called SyncToy. Works on Win7, XP, and Vista in 32+64bit, is easy to use and do not stress the Stick with unnecessary delete and rewrite overhead.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:03 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I use RichCopy (also free from Microsoft) to backup my Calibre library. I set the 'purge' option so that any files that are removed from the Calibre library are also removed from the copy.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
SyncToy is a nice little program....I have it set to back up to an external hard drive and another networked computer....hubby doesn't even realize my Calibre library is on his desktop! (He won't delete it.I am the one who does all the PC maintenance for him. )
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
Nicko
Groupie

Thanks ALL. I will have a look at those programs. Appreciate your help.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
I used to use synctoy, and another one allwaysync.
There fine but can lead to issues, if you make a mistake configuring them, especially the more complicate "propagate deletions and such.

With Backups, I think the best solution is the simplest one. ie the way you did it before, copying library to an external.

Using 2 flash drives may be overkill?
I'm assuming you worried about loosing the library, after deleting it and before writing the new version - if so, just copy it to your HD first, then delete and copy the new one to flash.
If you want 2 flash drives to store one somewhere else then ignore above.

Alt:
Dropbox with free 2GB storage
Skydrive windows live - free 25GB

Always a good idea to stick a copy of your library on one of those
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh just noticed Live drive has 5 GB of free storage space with Windows Live Mesh.
That can sync a folder, not looked into it, but "it may work with a Calibre library" and keep it synced
On the other hand it may mess it up :S

Edit:
Looks like it will sync between 2 computers, and the livedrive space.
Also let you login to you synced folder from another PC, so you can work on your files etc

Anyone used this
http://explore.live.com/windows-live...programs?T1=t4

Last edited by transmitthis; 01-25-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Each tool can/will lead in issues if you don't know to handle the tool in the right way or you don’t know what you’re doing. The point is that a backup of a complete library every day stress a flash drive more as needed what in the end means the live time will go down. That’s why it make sense to use tools like SyncToy are very useful. The other point is that if you have a big library of some gigs the complete copy takes a lot time for even some minor changes in the database.
But anyway, this is only a suggestion of a possible way I use for day to day sync activities what works very well for my needs. For a real backup I use backup tool. But this is another story.

Last edited by Divingduck; 01-25-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
transmitthis
Addict

I do agree with you to some extent Dduck.
Incremental backups are a real boon in many situations, but I find that most users end up using them incorrectly, which is a shame.
"As to the point"
Long term storage on Flash drives is even more susceptible to bitrot than it is on a platter drive. (and it is physically more susceptible to breakage, failure and loss) I would suggest a full refresh once a month if going that route (ie delete and recopy)

One reason I was interested in the mesh sync, is it would negate the large library if backup time is incremental, and also alleviate any disk problems as it would be cloud based (you gota bet they have it on multiple servers)

Still any back up is better than none.
Two locations are better still

Skydrive is a bit of a bust.
Using the web based service, you can only upload mulitple files if there in the same folder. (1000 at a time) plus a 50mb per file size limit
I mapped the drive to windows, but then book files throw up errors - think they only want you to use it for office files.

There is a way to do it though, by exporting all your books to a single directory and then uploding it like that, not very pretty, and you loose opf and cover, but at least your books are safe (worth it if you don't have a backup elsewhere)

Paying for dropbox or similar may be better option, depending on your library size

Last edited by transmitthis; 01-25-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
Nicko
Groupie

Those comments give me more to think about. My library is small at present but I am just looking ahead. I think I will just use an external HDD. I was a bit worried about using a flash drive, but I guess any drive can fail.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
transmitthis
Addict

If you have a small, less than 2GB I would def recommend having a Dropbox account.

Thats one ofsite backup sorted, and I'm hoping you have a normal backup of your stuff to an external HD, if not then that is a good idea too.

Having a copy on a flash/usb drive is great for transporting about, keeping with you in case you need.

Even putting a backup on your phones SD card. Books are pretty small, so you can get thousands on a cheap small SD.

Have a look round, and see what works for you, the only good backup is one you use.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
the only good backup is one you use.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote