Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Kindle Touch Reviews

Engadget has posted a review of the Kindle Touch.

Any other reviews up yet?
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Engadget has posted a review of the Kindle Touch.

Any other reviews up yet?
Seems they expected the device to shock and awe. Why? Amazon are late to the market in this area. There's nothing really to improve on at this point in terms of display.

I've wanted a Kindle Touch for the past couple of years. At the time Sony was the only option. Then B&N, Kobo, now finally Amazon. I've had them all and I'm looking forward to returning to the Amazon compound (having owned a Kindle 1). I'm guaranteed to find the books I want and customer service is amazing. If I don't like the way a book is formatted or I simply made a purchase error, no problem, I get a refund. I don't have to track down someone who can assist or plead my case.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Gizmodo Review

Wired.com Review

Theverge.com Review

Mashable review
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It looks nice and the price is just right. From the pics on the reviews I would say it has the same screen as the Kindle 4 NT. Hopefully the font plugin will work on the KT.
I don't see me upgrading anytime soon now. I might have if the screen was as good as my K3.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
If it had kept the page turn buttons on the side I would have waited for this one, alas...
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
After using my Nook STR for awhile, I knew I was ready to leave the Kindle keyboard behind for something smaller and a little lighter. I hope Amazon has done at least as well with the touchscreen implementation as B&N, if not better (e.g., ability to extend selection to adjacent pages).

But based on these reviews, which don't go deeply into most features (while complaining about the weirdest stuff), I'm left wondering about what has happened to Back, details about keyboard entry (are diacritics easy to find, does it support Cyrillic, etc.) and extended search options from the home screen (dictionary, wikipedia, google, browser). Guess I'll know for myself soon enough.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-14-2011 at 02:58 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
This one's not even a review. More like someone browsing the eReader section of a store and chit chatting with potential buyers in the Kindle section.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Engadget's video doesn't show off the e-ink displays very well. They all look too dark.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Engadget's video doesn't show off the e-ink displays very well. They all look too dark.
Actually I thought it looked pretty accurate to the K4 I have. They have a grey background to them they are not like the early K3s. Lightness and Darkness of background vary greatly. Some have good luck getting a good one but alot have ones that look just like that pic including me.

I know from experience the text will always look blacker in pics for some reason. When I took pics of my K4 the text looked fine in the pics but with the naked eye it was a little washed out looking with the default font dark grey to almost black.

Now that all changes in sunlight and bright lights but most (at least I do) read their Kindles indoors.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:19 AM   #10
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Actually I thought it looked pretty accurate to the K4 I have. They have a grey background to them they are not like the early K3s. Lightness and Darkness of background vary greatly. Some have good luck getting a good one but alot have ones that look just like that pic including me.

I know from experience the text will always look blacker in pics for some reason. When I took pics of my K4 the text looked fine in the pics but with the naked eye it was a little washed out looking with the default font dark grey to almost black.

Now that all changes in sunlight and bright lights but most (at least I do) read their Kindles indoors.
Oh my. Then it looks like they got the darker ones.

The first Kindle pic in the Wired review looks good. I can't tell if they used special lighting for the pic. The Nook's background was similar (during a recent visit to B&N to see the 1.1 update) but as I said before the K4's was much darker and thought it was the demo model.

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/11...tories+2%29%29
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:34 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Oh my. Then it looks like they got the darker ones.

The first Kindle pic in the Wired review looks good. I can't tell if they used special lighting for the pic. The Nook's background was similar (during a recent visit to B&N to see the 1.1 update) but as I said before the K4's was much darker and thought it was the demo model.

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/11...tories+2%29%29
It's the lighting and angle due to being in direct sunlight. Sunlight changes everything on the E-Ink screen but in normal lighting it does not look like that.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #12
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Just got my specimen. Will play around with it and publish a review within a few hours.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
MickeyMark
Learning to read...
MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: K3-3G, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Just got my specimen. Will play around with it and publish a review within a few hours.
Please, please, please, include information on how it handles PDFs.

Thank you!
MickeyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #14
Sarthak
Sarthak began at the beginning.

Device: none
what are the effects of converting epub files into mobi and reading them in kindle,,is it exactly like reading a mobi file or there is something different??replies will help me decide if i am to buy kindle touch,,or nook simple touch,,,thanks
Sarthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarthak View Post
what are the effects of converting epub files into mobi and reading them in kindle,,is it exactly like reading a mobi file or there is something different??replies will help me decide if i am to buy kindle touch,,or nook simple touch,,,thanks
It the same for most books. There are few things mobi doesn't support that epub does but on most fiction books you won't notice a difference at all.