Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 03:21 AM   #1
debteb
Connoisseur
debteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litter

Device: NOOKcolor, EVO, HP Touchpad
Can't play youtube videos

I cannot seem to play youtube videos on my NC :-/ . Every time, I get an error message "SORRY, unable to play video"

Any pointers?

Last edited by debteb; 12-22-2010 at 12:49 PM.
debteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
s52m3
Enthusiast
s52m3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Youtube requires flash so it doesn't work with Android 2.1 is my understanding. If you root then you most likely have access to a youtube application that gets around it somehow. Also the mobile version of youtube I thought was html5, but the browser will not play those movies as you stated, perhaps it's not html 5 compliant?
s52m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
you can go to the youtube mobile website but even then it's rather choppy. Will just have to wait until the first major firmware upgrade to 2.2 (Froyo) comes out.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
?? I am not understanding this post....I have a brand new stock NC (about 2 weeks old now...) that I have NOT rooted or done anything special to, and I was on YouTube watching some videos just last night??? (specifically I was watching videos about rooted/rooting the NC, but they still were playing fine...).
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
debteb
Connoisseur

I tried playing videos on both Desktop (which of course doesn't work) and Mobile version of the youtube website. After clicking on any of the videos, the NC screen just displays "Loading..." but eventually doesn't play the video.

Is it a good idea to go back to the BN store and describe the problem to their rep and maybe ask for exchange?
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by debteb View Post
I tried playing videos on both Desktop (which of course doesn't work) and Mobile version of the youtube website. After clicking on any of the videos, the NC screen just displays "Loading..." but eventually doesn't play the video.

Is it a good idea to go back to the BN store and describe the problem to their rep and maybe ask for exchange?
What version of firmware do you have? Did your device automatically download the 1.0.1 update?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
What version of firmware do you have? Did your device automatically download the 1.0.1 update?

For me, I was using 1.0.0 last night and it worked. I didn't get the update until late this morning. I tried it after the update and it still works.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
For me, I was using 1.0.0 last night and it worked. I didn't get the update until late this morning. I tried it after the update and it still works.
So it's not update related.

@debteb: reboot and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
leday
Groupie

Nope. It sounds to me like the download is timing out. Is the WiFi connection stable and strong?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
?? I am not understanding this post....I have a brand new stock NC (about 2 weeks old now...) that I have NOT rooted or done anything special to, and I was on YouTube watching some videos just last night??? (specifically I was watching videos about rooted/rooting the NC, but they still were playing fine...).
Exactly what do you mean by "playing fine"? On the Youtube fullsize website videos don't play at all. On the Youtube mobile website they are small, choppy, pixelated, and mostly look like crap.

On any website that uses flash for video, you cannot watch them. Same stupid snafu found on the iPad. On the iPad it is Apple's fault for not supporting flash. On the NC it is Android's fault for being a fifth-rate OS. Android sucks! Have I mentioned that lately?!?

What is the point of having video capability on the NC and using a 16:9+ screen if they only play at about 720 x 42x? At least that was what I saw in another thread. If the NC cannot play videos at fullscreen then it is a POS design as far as video goes.

Everyone keeps harping about the mythical 2.2 Android upgrade that may or may not show up for the NC. But the truth is that Android will not be a true tablet OS until 3.0 or later. We might as well be trying to run the Nokia phone OS on tablets!

Last edited by jswinden; 12-22-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

I've watched several videos that play at full screen with no distortion. In that regard it's not a POS design.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
leday
Groupie

Quote:
I've watched several videos that play at full screen with no distortion. In that regard it's not a POS design.
Same here.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #13
leday
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Exactly what do you mean by "playing fine"? On the Youtube fullsize website videos don't play at all. On the Youtube mobile website they are small, choppy, pixelated, and mostly look like crap.
I mean that on the YouTube site, I have played a number of videos, fullsize or whatever, and they played fine. No distortion, no choppiness, no pixelation, NOT small....just ....fine. Others have said their YouTube videos also show no problem, so I am suspecting that the problem you are experiencing seems to be related to either your particular unit or the stability of your WiFi connection maybe??
Old 12-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
debteb
Connoisseur

Quote:
I did a manual update to 1.0.1. Regardless, it didn't work before the update as well. Since some of the folks out here can see youtube videos, maybe its my Wi-Fi connection that is blocking it. I'll probably go to a B&N store and see if the problem persists.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:01 AM   #15
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur
Mitzasuro doesn't litterMitzasuro doesn't litter

Device: Nook, Nook Color
youtube is working fine on mine also. watched a music video in full screen and it wasn't choppy looking.
Mitzasuro is offline   Reply With Quote