Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
eidahl
eidahl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle DX Graphite

Well, I've been thinking about upgrading from the K2 to the K3, though the (relatively) massive DX is tempting me as well. I would think the DX screen is sharper, and apparently, it may have a better contrast.

However... the DX doesn't have the new browser / firmware of the K3, does it? :/
eidahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidahl View Post
However... the DX doesn't have the new browser / firmware of the K3, does it? :/
No, it doesn't.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
fairy_dreams
fairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle 3 3G
I also really want a DX, but I'm 99% sure that a new version will be rolling out soon. It would be silly if Amazon didn't update the DX with the Webkit browser, WiFi, and everything that the K3 has.

Or maybe it'll take longer than I think if they're actually working on a touchscreen DX.....
fairy_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
I bought a DXG ~2 months ago and love it. The big screen is sooo nice!

I also have a K3 wifi/3g. The screen contrast is the same for the K3/DXG (great!)

For the light web browsing I do, the DXG browser is fine. In some respect, I prefer the DXG browser in basic mode since it brings up most webpages faster and displays them in more of a text-mode-look and lets you see more information on the screen. The K3 browser can look a bit busy, esp. on a small screen.

I get good 3G coverage where I live so the lack of wifi on my DXG has not been an issue.

My K3 has some better PFD support but for the PDF's I have, these all read fine on my DXG and in all cases better than on my K3.

I think we will soon see a software update for the DXG that will include better PDF support, and maybe a few more K3 things.

For me, I'm very happy with my recent DXG purchase.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
jeremy81
Enthusiast
jeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire & Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy_dreams View Post
I also really want a DX, but I'm 99% sure that a new version will be rolling out soon. It would be silly if Amazon didn't update the DX with the Webkit browser, WiFi, and everything that the K3 has.

Or maybe it'll take longer than I think if they're actually working on a touchscreen DX.....
It's only been a few months since the Graphite was refreshed. I could be wrong but I'm thinking it will be at least a few more before they update it. Hopefully, they are waiting until Mirasol displays are ready!
jeremy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
fairy_dreams
fairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Good point! After the K3 was released, I've been getting to think that the DX was released many months ago..

What are Mirasol displays?

Edit: Nevermind, I did a Google search

Last edited by fairy_dreams; 10-30-2010 at 07:06 PM.
fairy_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote