Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
mvnjpy
mvnjpy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 PDF Conversion Line Breaks

I recently bought a Kindle 3 and am loving it, but I want to convert some of my programming books to read them on the Kindle (yes, I know, everyone says it's not what this thing is made for).

So, PDF's don't look great, and zooming is kind of awkward, and now I've found Calibre to convert to MOBI format.

It generally does a pretty good job, but I'm wondering what are optimal settings for converting to Kindle 3 viewable-ness.

My main issue right now, is that it causes line breaks randomly in the middle of lines. I've tried playing with settings, but have not been able to resolve this.

Anyone have tips?
mvnjpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Have you checked to make sure the line-unwrapping factor is set correctly under pdf input in the conversion options? Default is currently 0.45, but you can set it lower to make it more aggressive at unwrapping.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
mvnjpy
mvnjpy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I haven't tried changing that. What are the negative effects of setting it too high?
mvnjpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Setting it too high (i.e. greater than 0.5) will cause fewer lines to be unwrapped. Setting it too low (i.e. below 0.4) may cause things like poetry, un-punctuated lists, etc to be inadvertently unwrapped and placed on the same line.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote