Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #181
Strike
Strike began at the beginning.

Device: kindl
hello,
i have a problem with a special pdf document/format. See the attachment.
Could you please give me a tipp, how to convert it with k2pdfopt.It helped me so often with documents for my studies, but now :-(
I used differnt settings.... but nothing worked ..to read it in a good way on my reader.
Thank you for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf example.pdf (986.9 KB, 489 views)
Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #182
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike View Post
hello,
i have a problem with a special pdf document/format. See the attachment.
I like the options below the best. You don't want to split columns since you have a side bar that needs to stay with the main text, so the best I can do is to crop out the excess margins and rotate to landscape mode. I don't know if the text will be large enough for you this way, but the document has a very challenging layout, so this is about the best I can do. See attached.

k2pdfopt -ls -col 1 -wrap- -mb .7 -wt 210 example.pdf

The -ls rotates to landscape view. The "-col 1" keeps k2pdfopt from searching for multiple columns. The "-wrap-" keeps it from wrapping/re-flowing text. The "-mb .7" cuts off the bottom 0.7 inches to get rid of the nitropdf logo. And the "-wt 210" increases the white threshold since you have some light colored figures. Add -c if you want color output for a color reader.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf example_k2opt.pdf (433.1 KB, 510 views)
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:12 AM   #183
Strike
Strike began at the beginning.

Device: kindl
First:
Your solution is good. Thank You very much!The only problem is, i can´t adjust boarder margins. If i press m, the program says left,right top bottom seperated with comma and set a value. What is the right expression to fill in? I wroted b .07,-mb .7 etc etc but the programm says invalid....if i only fill in 0.7 every marging of the document is beeing cutted of.
Second:
The text isn´t very large, that´s right.
Would it be possible to cut of the sidebar, because there is only a resumee of the main text left or right to it.I don´t need it.
Do you think there will be a problem with the graphics, because they are often bigger then the main text ..
If it is possible to cut of the sidebar without loosing a part of the graphics..do you think the text is larger ..afterwards...and easier to read?

Last edited by Strike; 10-05-2012 at 05:21 AM. Reason: mybadenglish:-)
Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #184
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The only problem is, i can´t adjust boarder margins. If i press m, the program says left,right top bottom seperated with comma and set a value. What is the right expression to fill in? I wroted b .07,-mb .7 etc etc but the programm says invalid....if i only fill in 0.7 every marging of the document is beeing cutted of.
If you are using the interactive menu, after selecting 'm', put this:

Quote:
Second:
The text isn´t very large, that´s right.
Would it be possible to cut of the sidebar, because there is only a resumee of the main text left or right to it.I don´t need it.
Do you think there will be a problem with the graphics, because they are often bigger then the main text ..
If it is possible to cut of the sidebar without loosing a part of the graphics..do you think the text is larger ..afterwards...and easier to read?
I'll think about it, but because the figures often run into the sidebar, there is not an obvious way to do what you want--certainly not with the current k2pdfopt options. The layout is too complicated. Sorry.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #185
hm88
hm88 began at the beginning.

Device: none
hey,

i have a (very little) blemish, when i try to convert some of my pdf's.

If i try to convert the attached file optik.pdf, the page pagination isn't correct.

E.g. at the begin of page 5 in optik_k2opt.pdf, the words "Spektrum der" should be on page 4 (the page pagination in the original file optik pdf, is after those words).

Is there any possiblity to solve this with the available options of k2pdfopt.

My actual options are: -bp y - f2p 30

I know it's no real problem, but it would be nice, if there would be a solution...

thx,
michael
Attached Files
File Type: pdf optik.pdf (49.1 KB, 455 views)
File Type: pdf optik_k2opt.pdf (226.5 KB, 490 views)
hm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #186
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hm88 View Post
... If i try to convert the attached file optik.pdf, the page pagination isn't correct...
It looks like you've uncovered a couple of bugs. One is the one that you pointed out (I'd guess I'm not flushing some buffer properly), and the other is that some of the hyphenation in your text didn't get correctly eliminated in the word wrapping, as it should have (e.g. Ver-teilung). I'll try to get the fixes into 1.52. Thank you for the example.

Other comments: 1. The -bp option doesn't take an argument (e.g. don't put "-bp y". Just put "-bp"). 2. Use a larger value than the default for inter-word spacing, e.g. "-ws 0.5" or "-ws 0.6" seems to work better than the default of 0.375 for your document. That will keep the periods together with the words that they should be connected to, for example. 3. I usually use "-col 1" for one-column documents to make sure k2pdfopt doesn't detect multiple columns where I don't want it to.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #187
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hm88 View Post
... My actual options are: -bp y - f2p 30 ...
You might also wish to consider not using "-bp" and instead using "-mt 1.1" to cut off the top header (the top 1.1 inches) on the 2nd page (and presumably subsequent pages). If you do that, k2pdfopt will connect the text at the bottom of page 1 with the text on the top of page 2 seamlessly.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #188
hm88
hm88 began at the beginning.

Device: none
thx a lot ;-)
hm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #189
GGMerlin
GGMerlin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Willus,

I just tried the latest version of your soft, but it keeps crashing both in quick and slow version. However it seems that version1.35 is working. Is there any reason for that. I am W7 Ultimate 32.

Thank you.
GGMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #190
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGMerlin View Post
I just tried the latest version of your soft, but it keeps crashing both in quick and slow version. However it seems that version1.35 is working. Is there any reason for that. I am W7 Ultimate 32.
Does it only crash on one particular PDF, or all the time? Can you attach a PDF file that makes it crash (and the options you are using, if you are using any custom options)? Maybe also attach a screenshot of the output window at the time of the crash?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #191
GGMerlin
GGMerlin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
K2PDFopt.exe chrash

Hi Willus,

First let me say how I appreciate your prompt answer.

Your versions 1.51 crashes on all my PDF. I have first tried with the one attached which is admitedly quite heavy (231 pages plus diagrams). But then I tried on a cropped (bliss) version and a simpler 10 pages PDF with the same result. I am not geek enough to do anything else than press Enter and did not do any tailoring.

I think you will be disappointed with the screenshot inasmuch as the crash is very quick, quicker than my screenshot.

Strangely all starts with error message, but whereas in v 1.35 the soft moves on, in v 1.51 I got the windows message.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Partnership Bidding at Bridge.pdf (1.06 MB, 687 views)
File Type: pdf k2PDFOPT - 09_10_2012 , 11_04_59.pdf (569.1 KB, 419 views)
GGMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #192
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGMerlin View Post
Your versions 1.51 crashes on all my PDF. I have first tried with the one attached which is admitedly quite heavy (231 pages plus diagrams). But then I tried on a cropped (bliss) version and a simpler 10 pages PDF with the same result. I am not geek enough to do anything else than press Enter and did not do any tailoring.

I think you will be disappointed with the screenshot inasmuch as the crash is very quick, quicker than my screenshot.
This is not straightforward. My implementation of MuPDF, for some reason, is not able to read your file. Unfortunately, your PDF worked fine on my PC (both 32 and 64 bit). I'd like to take this off-forum and work it with you. Can you please check your private messages?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #193
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
My next release will include source code. Hopefully it will be soon.
Just wanted to announce that now the ARM version is there too, great job William. Thanks and karmas to willus... To download: http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/download/
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #194
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
Just wanted to announce that now the ARM version is there too, great job William. Thanks and karmas to willus... To download: http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/download/
RefUser really deserves the credit for this. He did the port. Lately ARM downloads have amounted to a small fraction of the total--about 0.2% (Windows has the lion's share with 80%, Mac at ~12%, and Linux at 8%).
Old 10-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #195
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
This is not straightforward. My implementation of MuPDF, for some reason, is not able to read your file. Unfortunately, your PDF worked fine on my PC (both 32 and 64 bit). I'd like to take this off-forum and work it with you. Can you please check your private messages?
It appears that Merlin's crash is due to a non-ASCII character in Merlin's user name (and hence in the file name path to his desktop). We've tested a fix that seems to work and it will be in the next release.

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools