Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #61
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
I guess it's my fault, but I really don't want another "ads vs no ads" debate. My stance always is: do what you want, it's your device, but don't ask me for help.
I completey agree with yifanlus's point of view as well. You bought the device. You own the device. You can do anything that you want to with your device, including things that are illegal, and things that are harmful to others.

But beware that there are consequences to your actions. Please treat others with respect, and if you do things that could harm others, please do not ask others to help you. It is your own moral choice. You must do it alone.

The bottom line: when you use lock-picks, you should not leave the door open behind you. I think you can see how this would attract unwanted attention from security. The same thing applies here about publishing your hacker exploits.

Why I (and others) feel this way:
Spoiler:
Removing ads from an ad supported kindle DOES harm amazon by reducing the profit margin on ad supported kindles, which are sold with little or no profit (or even at loss) in hopes that you will click through the ads for more information, in which case they get paid for your page view of the full ad. They may also get a smaller payment just for pushing the ads to your kindle. If you modify your ad storage locations so that ads cannot be downloaded, amazon will not be able to receive even that small compensation. They gave a significant discount to you. You should be nice to them in return (my opinion, of course).

Remember the Golden Rule (treat others as you want them to treat you).

All we ask (I and others of like mind at this forum) is please do not ask us to help you do things that we believe are less than honorable, and please do not encourage others to follow in your footsteps by publishing details of how you cheated amazon and how they can too.

It is fine for you to disable ads as a learning experience, but you really ought to do the right thing and put them back when you are done with that experiment. The same rules apply to 3G experiments. There are too many people who would abuse what you discover when you jailbreak or root a device and publish all the secrets. People need to learn some things on their own.

It would be nice if everbody could treat others (including helpful generous companies such as amazon) with respect, and return some of that generousity by allowing them to put ads on your kindle. I even recommend that you click and view ads that are not annoying. This allows amazon to custom tune the ads for your interests, so that over time they will actually get a lot more interesting to you. Also, it would be nice if you buy at least one eBook from amazon using your device. This will enable amazon to provide us with future kindles that are better and more affordable.

Enough said? Too much perhaps... Well then, let's stop asking how to cheat amazon, and concentrate our efforts on positive pursuits such as adding new features and functionality to our kindles.

On behalf of (most) kindle developers, thank you for your time, and try to do the right thing.

P.S. I have done more than my share of things that could be seen as questionable legality or morality, but in general I try very hard to follow the Golden Rule: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Rule

EDIT: The *real* bottom line below is so important that it was copied to the top:

One last thing about publishing your hacker exploits: when you use lock-picks, you should not leave the door open behind you. I think you can see how this would attract unwanted attention from security. The same applies here.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-07-2012 at 11:10 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:58 AM   #62
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4 Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastik View Post
With KK you had to send com.lab126.powerd.resuming event via dbus. But KT does not need that. When I create or delete a file using SSH, it immediately (dis)appears in GUI. Isn't it acting the same with your move scripts?
Removing files is fine, they fairly quickly dissapear. However, when they are moved back they don't show up. After a USB connect/disconnect they show up, or after a reboot. What is the trigger for the USB event?

What do you think of the toggle/scripts?
vaniaspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:20 AM   #63
rastik
Connoisseur
rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniaspeedy View Post
Removing files is fine, they fairly quickly dissapear. However, when they are moved back they don't show up. After a USB connect/disconnect they show up, or after a reboot. What is the trigger for the USB event?
My KT detects new files immediately. Ti send the event:
Code:
dbus-send --system /default com.lab126.powerd.resuming int32:1;exit
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniaspeedy View Post
What do you think of the toggle/scripts?
Once I de-brick my KT, I'll try them.
rastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #64
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
https://github.com/downloads/yifanlu...kindletool.zip

The update tool is done. Can extract/create Kindle 4.0 and 5.0 packages along with other things. Very buggy on Windows though, may have to recode for windows. For now, if you are on windows, install cygwin (with packages zlib and openssl) and run the tool from cygwin shell.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #65
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4 Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastik View Post
My KT detects new files immediately. Ti send the event:
Code:
dbus-send --system /default com.lab126.powerd.resuming int32:1;exit
That was exactly what I needed, thanks!

Quote:
Once I de-brick my KT, I'll try them.
Hope it wasn't my scripts that did it O.O

---edit---
My apologies, I just realized I hijacked this thread for a bit. Sorry!

Last edited by vaniaspeedy; 01-08-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: clarification
vaniaspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #66
kerotan
kerotan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Pardon the stupid question, but how do you undo the jailbreak? I've tried placing the update_touch_jailbreak_1.0_uninstall.bin in the root directory of my kindle touch and activating the Update Your Kindle in the Settings Menu (which would otherwise be grayed out), but it only showed me an error stating that it couldn't update my device, something like that. How can I know if I removed the jailbreak?

I'm relatively new to the e-book reader scene so please forgive my ignorance.
kerotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #67
cathalgarvey
DIYbio Enabler
cathalgarvey began at the beginning.

Quote:
https://github.com/downloads/yifanlu...kindletool.zip

The update tool is done. Can extract/create Kindle 4.0 and 5.0 packages along with other things. Very buggy on Windows though, may have to recode for windows. For now, if you are on windows, install cygwin (with packages zlib and openssl) and run the tool from cygwin shell.
Hi YifanLu, thanks for the Jailbreak! I'm enjoying playing around with this, have put an anti-theft notice on my USB Mode screen and some custom screensavers already. Looking forward to making the most of this.

Some questions though, if you'd be so kind:
1) When attempting to use the Linux version of your packager, I get the following dependency error:
"./kindletool: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
..How do I install all the required dependencies? I'm running Ubuntu Oneiric.
Also, I saw some of the usage notes in the original jailbreak; how do the versioning arguments work? Must I put in the current version and make up a "new" version to convince the Kindle to accept the update? What will this do to future updates, will the Kindle think it's already "future-proof"? (I actually don't want official updates, I'm quite happy with what I have right now..)

2) How might I go about installing sftp? I saw you linking to the binary, but how do I set that up to run the sftp server? Or, is it enough to have ssh-server running, and the Kindle will invoke the sftp binary when required? Should I put it in /bin/ or /usr/bin/ or somewhere else entirely?

3) Where should I look for stuff to modify the html/javascript interfaces, if I wanted to add my own html/js "program" somewhere like the "Experimental" list?

Thanks again, sorry for the questions. I'm learning a lot about linux's structure through exploring the Kindle, and I'm looking forward to some fun projects!
cathalgarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #68
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathalgarvey View Post
Hi YifanLu, thanks for the Jailbreak! I'm enjoying playing around with this, have put an anti-theft notice on my USB Mode screen and some custom screensavers already. Looking forward to making the most of this.

Some questions though, if you'd be so kind:
1) When attempting to use the Linux version of your packager, I get the following dependency error:
"./kindletool: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
..How do I install all the required dependencies? I'm running Ubuntu Oneiric.
Also, I saw some of the usage notes in the original jailbreak; how do the versioning arguments work? Must I put in the current version and make up a "new" version to convince the Kindle to accept the update? What will this do to future updates, will the Kindle think it's already "future-proof"? (I actually don't want official updates, I'm quite happy with what I have right now..)

2) How might I go about installing sftp? I saw you linking to the binary, but how do I set that up to run the sftp server? Or, is it enough to have ssh-server running, and the Kindle will invoke the sftp binary when required? Should I put it in /bin/ or /usr/bin/ or somewhere else entirely?

3) Where should I look for stuff to modify the html/javascript interfaces, if I wanted to add my own html/js "program" somewhere like the "Experimental" list?

Thanks again, sorry for the questions. I'm learning a lot about linux's structure through exploring the Kindle, and I'm looking forward to some fun projects!
1) install openssl, libtar, and zlib
2) You need to crosscompile a sftp server or download one precompiled for ARM Linux
3) The files are all around the root partition
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #69
cathalgarvey
DIYbio Enabler
cathalgarvey began at the beginning.

Quote:
1) install openssl, libtar, and zlib
Awesome, thanks.

Quote:
2) You need to crosscompile a sftp server or download one precompiled for ARM Linux
Right, might put that one on hold, having never cross-compiled anything. I've got SCP working anyway, and can always cp stuff to/from the USB Drive Mode directories.

Quote:
3) The files are all around the root partition
I actually discovered the wonderful wiki here right after posting the question; thanks!
cathalgarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:39 AM   #70
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Lightbulb Rockbox

Hey there,
I want to congratulate you on all your work so far on jailbreaking the Kindle Touch.
I have an idea. Has anyone here considered porting Rockbox to the Kindle? Rockbox is an alternative firmware for media players. It supports a lot of audio, images and video formats. (video wouldn't be useful on eInk but the other formats would be awesome) It even has a few games and apps.
Could it be run as an app instead of a separate firmware?

Thank you and keep up the good work!
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #71
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
It looks like Sir Alex's tool does not work with my Kindle Touch.

Actually it seems to be a Kindle3 tool.

Could changing root's password prevent future Amazon upgrades (or do they rely on kinda signed packages)?
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #72
rastik
Connoisseur
rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
It looks like Sir Alex's tool does not work with my Kindle Touch.
Actually it seems to be a Kindle3 tool.
What do you need this tool for?
Quote:
Could changing root's password prevent future Amazon upgrades (or do they rely on kinda signed packages)?
No, password change will not affect updates, they don't rely on it.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #73
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
@rastik

well, yes, I was actually asking silly questions. ;-)

Besides being not useful, backing up original root password is very easy. Once the usbnetworking has been enabled, it's possible to login via ssh using framework/mario.

The /etc/shadow file has wrong permissions and it's world readeable, so it's possible to backup (just in case) the line with the original root password:

Code:
root:981W.e8ijjR9c:15187:0:99999:7:::
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #74
rastik
Connoisseur

Quote:
Besides being not useful, backing up original root password is very easy. Once the usbnetworking has been enabled, it's possible to login via ssh using framework/mario.

The /etc/shadow file has wrong permissions and it's world readeable, so it's possible to backup (just in case) the line with the original root password
You can generate your factory root password and log in without ever modifying it:
Code:
http://members.ping.de/~sven/kindle.html
Old 01-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #75
Novas
Novas began at the beginning.

Hi yifanlu,
I try to use your tool to create new update package to kindle touch.
I use it this way ./kindletool create ota2 -dk5w /media/USB_DISK/kindle/install/
but I get this error message:
Cannot read input.
Segmentation fault
What is wrong? Directory /media/USB_DISK/kindle/install/ exist and included install files.
Novas is offline   Reply With Quote