Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
iPad1 or iPad2?

Hello all

I've almost decided to buy an iPad, and went in to the Target store in Launceston to try to make my mind up.

I spoke with a very enthusiastic salesperson who has both an iPad1 and an iPad2, and loves them both. She said that they still have iPad1s for sale, and that the main difference between them is the cameras. I could get an iPad1 with much more memory than the equivalent cost for an iPad2, and am really not interested in having a camera.

Are there any other differences between iPad1 and iPad2 that I should consider? The extra thickness of an iPad1 doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I probably would never use the camera.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
The main differences between the two (for me) are the reduced weight, the very reduced edge profile, and the quickness. The cameras are definitely not a big factor
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:44 PM   #3
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
ipad 3.. I'd want the improved screen resolution..but, its a few months wait no doubt. If I had to get one now, I'd say it depends on what you want to do with it. If its a reader/surfing machine, 1 will do.. if your doing games and movies, get ipad 2..
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to you both.

How much faster would you say the iPad2 is than the iPad1?

So far as I know now whichever one I buy will be used mostly for ebooks, and perhaps games. Movies are definitely not a high priority, and internet access is probably a low priority. From what I saw this morning Maps could be useful for occasional use.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:28 AM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Hello all

I've almost decided to buy an iPad, and went in to the Target store in Launceston to try to make my mind up.

I spoke with a very enthusiastic salesperson who has both an iPad1 and an iPad2, and loves them both. She said that they still have iPad1s for sale, and that the main difference between them is the cameras. I could get an iPad1 with much more memory than the equivalent cost for an iPad2, and am really not interested in having a camera.

Are there any other differences between iPad1 and iPad2 that I should consider? The extra thickness of an iPad1 doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I probably would never use the camera.
I've got them both as well.
iPad1 from the very beginning, first the WiFi-only model and 4 months later switched to the 3G model.
iPad2 I've got since end of March this year.

For a few weeks now I'm mainly using iPad1 again. I've bought the phantastic Incipio NGP cover, so it's way easier (no bulk, still protected enough and extremely comfortable to hold) for me "on the road" than iPad2.

Personally, I don't feel any significant improvement in speed. I don't mind the thickness, I don't care about 3mm more or less.
I don't like the curved edges of iPad2 that much, feels less comfortable to hold (I'm often using it 5 hours and more in a single instance).

Meaning: iPad2 is a great tablet. But quite frankly I can't find any real arguments against iPad1 either.

One tip though: With iPAd, I'd always go for a 3G model. I love GPS in tablets. On Android, some WiFi only models have GPS. On iPad, you only have it in the 3G models.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post

Meaning: iPad2 is a great tablet. But quite frankly I can't find any real arguments against iPad1 either.

One tip though: With iPAd, I'd always go for a 3G model. I love GPS in tablets. On Android, some WiFi only models have GPS. On iPad, you only have it in the 3G models.
Thanks, that's most helpful. I may have to think again about 3G - but the price may be the determining factor.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Read the review for the iPad 2 at The Gadgeteer, a tech review site. There's a section that discusses speed differences for graphics and surfing. Disclosure: I'm a writer at The Gadgeteer, and I wrote that review. I've had both the original iPad and the iPad 2 from their release days. I loved the original more than I can say, but the iPad 2 is better, in my opinion.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Thanks to you both.

How much faster would you say the iPad2 is than the iPad1?

So far as I know now whichever one I buy will be used mostly for ebooks, and perhaps games. Movies are definitely not a high priority, and internet access is probably a low priority. From what I saw this morning Maps could be useful for occasional use.
I think if you haven't used both, you won't be disappointed with the speed of the iPad 1-it really is a nice device.

But I can definitely tell the difference in speed between the two on many tasks-in terms of screen responsiveness, graphics, and just overall usage. The iPad 2 also has twice the memory as the iPad 1, which is noticeable when browsing with multiple tabs in Safari-but if you aren't seeing internet access as a priority, that probably won't matter to you.

Games however-the iPad 2 has not just a better processor (dual-core A5 vs. single-core A4), but also a much more capable graphics GPU for games:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216/a...p2-benchmarked

But again, those are for graphic intensive games-I doubt Angry Birds and Plants vs. Zombies, for example, are any different on both platforms.

And like MGMueller, I always go with 3G as well-not just for GPS (which is nice to have), but just because I take my iPad along with me everywhere, and love having instant access without having to bother with tethering or finding a wi-fi spot.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
You can get a refurbished ipad 1 from Apple for a cool $350... and you can find better deal out there if you look...
I have them both and besides the cameras and the iPad 2 being thinner and a bit lighter, you cant really the difference.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
Read the review for the iPad 2 at The Gadgeteer, a tech review site. There's a section that discusses speed differences for graphics and surfing. Disclosure: I'm a writer at The Gadgeteer, and I wrote that review. I've had both the original iPad and the iPad 2 from their release days. I loved the original more than I can say, but the iPad 2 is better, in my opinion.
Thanks again to all who responded, especially for the great review. I'm still torn between the two.

I'll probably go into the store in a couple of hours or so to buy one or the other. Though I'm now leaning towards the 16GB wi-fi iPad2 it will mainly depend on what the store has and the price.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #11
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
If you are mostly going to use the iPad for ebooks and games, the extra storage you could with an ipad1 won't be that helpful - it's only video or 1000's of songs that will take up much space.

Or some very graphics intensive games...in which case you would want the iPad2 to play them on.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #12
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
There is a very real advantage on the ipad2 over the ipad one if you expect to do any gaming beyon angrybirds or solitare, there are some really good 3d games available like dungeon hunter, orFPS games like call of duty, or racing games or flight sims. the much stronger dual core chip and more memory WILL make a HUGE difference.... if all you plan to do is read books look things up on the internet or listening to your music then the extra ram and better cpu wont make much difference.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:10 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks again

I bought an iPad 2 16Gb Wi-Fi this afternoon.

So far I'm quite disappointed:
- I'm not sure what the password for the Wi-Fi system is, and the iPad won't accept the the router's PIN
- I don't see an entries or options for iBooks or ebooks anywhere, and I can't work out how to transfer ebooks from my computer
- When I touch the games option all I get is an option to sign up to play on-line games. I wouldn't do this even if I could establish a Wi-Fi option.

Sunday tomorrow; I'll go into the Apple store on Monday.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #14
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Congrats on your purchase. Full iPad2 user guide online here:-

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...user_guide.pdf

and a set of video 'guided tours' here:-

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

Short answer, you need to sort out your WiFi password - it's not your router's PIN. I don't have an iPad 2, just the original, which didn't come with iBooks pre-installed; I thought it was pre-installed with the current version, but if not it's a free download from the AppStore - but you'll need to be connected to your WiFi...

Ditto for games; AFAIK no games are pre-installed that aren't in the 'game centre'; lots available in the Appstore - but you need to be connected...

HTH Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #15
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Thanks again

I bought an iPad 2 16Gb Wi-Fi this afternoon.

So far I'm quite disappointed:
- I'm not sure what the password for the Wi-Fi system is, and the iPad won't accept the the router's PIN
- I don't see an entries or options for iBooks or ebooks anywhere, and I can't work out how to transfer ebooks from my computer
- When I touch the games option all I get is an option to sign up to play on-line games. I wouldn't do this even if I could establish a Wi-Fi option.

Sunday tomorrow; I'll go into the Apple store on Monday.

1) Not quite sure why you would be disappointed in an Ipad if you dont remember your password to your wifi...Why dont use your "PIN" and change the password to something you can remember.

2) Use Itunes on your main computer to sync the Ipad and load your music, video, books and apps..if you dont have it download it for either win of mac...or EMAIL the book to yourself double tap the download and its on your "shelf" in Ibooks...

3) Read the manual....
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote