Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Tallying Karma Points

When I give karma, I like to give a number that somehow rounds the poster's karma to a "good" number. However, I quickly noticed that, for some reason, whatever karma I give, it deducts one point. So, for instance, if their karma is already 88 and I give 12 to try and make it 100, it will instead give them 11 and make their karma 99.

I thought I had figured it out until a few weeks ago when I gave karma with the "deduct one" in mind but then it gave them the entire karma I gave them! So, for example say they had 88 and I gave them 13 to make 100, it instead made it 101!

So, just now I gave someone karma and it reverted back to the "deduct one" way. The person had 101000 and I wanted to give 101 to make their karama 101101, so I gave exactly 101 and lol it made their karma 101100.

What gives? Others must've noticed this before.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I noticed that the other day too. I wonder if it's related to rounding/truncation.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Boom. 16 would have given you 53,300. So I gave you 17 and got 53,300. What are the odds? 50/50?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're right, it has been noticed before. It's a little wrinkle in whatever calculation is used that seems to insist on odd numbers of karma being given...or even...or something...I can never remember. I'd go looking for the details of the idiosyncrasy, but it looks like you all might enjoy trying to figure it out again. Let us know when you do. It's not likely going to change, but at least we'll have rediscovered something about MR KarmaMaths (or KarmaMath for my US friends).

Cheers,
Marc (To the square root of -1 and beyond!)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Haha, tried to give three it gave two.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
It's a little wrinkle in whatever calculation is used that seems to insist on oddeven numbers of karma being given...
Straight from the Boss' mouth...

I've confirmed it!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
In a quick check, it seems that moderators always have odd karma, and ordinary members always have even karma.

Are the ones I've seen just a coincidence, or is the low bit being used as a moderator flag?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Thanks for all the comments. So it seems we are only able to give even karma, yet moderators have odd karma. And, in a check around, I have noticed some other non-moderators who also have odd karma.

So that leaves us with the existential question - If we are only allowed to give even karma, then where does odd karma come from?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
In a quick check, it seems that moderators always have odd karma, and ordinary members always have even karma.

Are the ones I've seen just a coincidence, or is the low bit being used as a moderator flag?
Purely coincidence with those you've seen (see poobear, pilotbob, Alex, natch). It's true I am odd, but that's totally unrelated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Straight from the Boss' mouth...

I've confirmed it!
The MathsMan, SuperStats himself, has arrived! I humbly prostrate myself before MR's statistical guru, the only man who has ever been so willing to enter the dense dimensional labyrinth of MRMaths and come out with answers that achieve practical probabilities approaching pragmatic principles. I'm not surprised, though I am tickled, to see you turn up.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 07-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #10
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornfate View Post
Hi everyone,

I enjoyed reading your nice conversations here. But I am still newbie to this community and is unable to grasp everything out.

What is the purpose of karma?
Ahh, the Karma rabbit hole. It's probably best answered with a link to another thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104757

Enjoy, and give good karma.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 07-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

Quote:
Purely coincidence with those you've seen (see poobear, pilotbob, Alex, natch). It's true I am odd, but that's totally unrelated.
Must be coincidence, as Marc says. Some of the moderators (I think, I saw HarryT) have even and some of the members have odd numbers.

I have noted my change from odd to even depending on newbie karma givers. When I've helped a very, very newbie, either on forum or through PM, they will find a post of mine and give karma thanks. This seems to happen only with the very, very new members. Once they have more posts, it doesn't happen. Humm, I may have to check if this really is the reason. I just had noticed it and thought that was the reason.
Quote:
The MathsMan, SuperStats himself, has arrived! I humbly prostrate myself before MR's statistical guru, the only man who has ever been so willing to enter the dense dimensional labyrinth of MRMaths and come out with answers that achieve practical probabilities approaching pragmatic principles. I'm not surprised, though I am tickled, to see you turn up.

Cheers,
Marc
on the bow.

Hi, nrapallo!
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Hi, nrapallo!
Hi!!!!

I'm stilllll heerrrreeeeee...

I will never leave this place...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #13
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I thought I had figured it out until a few weeks ago when I gave karma with the "deduct one" in mind but then it gave them the entire karma I gave them! So, for example say they had 88 and I gave them 13 to make 100, it instead made it 101!
I've had it go both ways before too. I'm all about nice round numbers. Got one rounded just right today. I guess it's like an OCD lottery. You never know what will happen.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:53 AM   #14
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornfate View Post
Hi everyone,

I enjoyed reading your nice conversations here. But I am still newbie to this community and is unable to grasp everything out.

What is the purpose of karma?
Heya. I am kinda new here too. Here on MR, "karma" [or reputation or charm or any of a zillion other things on other forums online I believe] is at the core, simply a way for forum members to express their appreciation for the posts of others.

Perhaps someone posts a solution to a problem you are having. Give them karma!

Maybe someone posts something that brightens your day and makes you laugh. Give them karma.

Or, as is often in my case, I give karma when people here on MR posts something so funny or outrageous that I end up spitting coffee or water on my laptop screen.

<note to self: get more wetnap wipes from the store>

Pretty much it as far as I can tell here on MR. I mean, its not like you can trade in karma points for a Nook Color or a top-of-the-line Sony Reader or tablet.

....right?
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Thanks for all the comments. So it seems we are only able to give even karma, yet moderators have odd karma. And, in a check around, I have noticed some other non-moderators who also have odd karma.

So that leaves us with the existential question - If we are only allowed to give even karma, then where does odd karma come from?
Some old timers got odd Karma before the change but now they will always have odd Karma. Originally the change was to prevent giving 1 point which was seen as chintzy but the change came out different.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote