Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Please check 1 choice from Sections 1 and 2 and three choices from Section 3
Sec. 1: BEFORE my device, I borrowed library books at least once a week. 29 22.14%
Sec. 1: BEFORE my device, I borrowed library books at least 1 to 3 times a month 25 19.08%
Sec. 1: BEFORE my device, I borrowed library books at least 1 to 6 times a year 31 23.66%
Sec. 1: BEFORE my device, I borrowed library books never or almost never 42 32.06%
Sec. 2: NOW that I read eBooks, I borrow library books/eBooks at least once a week. 35 26.72%
Sec. 2: NOW that I read eBooks, I now borrow library books/eBooks at least 1 to 3 times a month 40 30.53%
Sec. 2: NOW that I read eBooks, I now borrow library books/eBooks at least 1 to 6 times a year 11 8.40%
Sec. 2: NOW that I read eBooks, I now borrow library books/eBooks never or almost never. 36 27.48%
Sec. 3:I would borrow from libraries, eBook versions of brand new, most popular/bestselling print books 65 49.62%
Sec. 3:I would borrow from libraries, eBook versions of brand new, but not bestselling, print books 62 47.33%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, eBook versions of good print books published in the last 40 years 72 54.96%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, eBook versions of reference resources 28 21.37%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, eBook versions of good non-fiction 54 41.22%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, enhanced eBooks with multimedia content and Web links 3 2.29%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, eBooks by independent publishers with no print versions (or print on demand) 23 17.56%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, eBook versions of public domain, free print classics 7 5.34%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, eDocuments from the Web, e.g., articles, fanfiction, reports, Master's thesis. 9 6.87%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, eBooks in languages I can't get otherwise. 10 7.63%
Sec. 3: I would borrow eBooks and eDocuments written by community members for other people in the community. 7 5.34%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, Community eDocuments, e.g., bus schedules, lists of community events, etc. 7 5.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Section 3 is missing ...

I borrow what eBooks interest me.

My borrowing doesn't currently fit into section 3. I just borrow what I want to read, what I might want to read (i.e., authors I've never read before).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #47
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I agree with JSWolf. I'll borrow any ebook that interests me, fiction, non-fiction, health and medical, how-to, SF, Romance (okay, probably not), but yeah, nearly anything.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #48
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I do borrow books that interest me but I tend to get bestsellers from the library by preference over other things because bestsellers often seem to be the kind of books I enjoy but feel no urgency to read, and I know my library's always going to have multiple copies. With midlist/backlist stuff, whether the library is going to have it is hit or miss so I get those first at the library, then buy the rest.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #49
David71
Enthusiast
David71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
My library doesn't offer eBooks yet and even though there are workarounds for my Kindle I probably wouldn't bother with it if they did. It's a small library and they know me there and always make an effort to get things I'm interested in. I get most of the bestsellers I read from there even though it sometimes takes a while for them to get them. It also helps that it's only a short walk from my workplace.

I've also read and enjoyed quite a few books I might never have come across if I hadn't been browsing in there so that's also a plus.
David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #50
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
My library doesn't offer eBooks yet ...
Your local library may not, but Alabama's Digital Library does.

You can access it with a card from various libraries like the Public Library of Anniston-Calhoun.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #51
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
We are heavy library users. We make weekly trips to our library.

I have dust allergies and sensitivities to cigarette smoke and to perfume. This limits the number of paper library books that I can comfortably read. The new release shelf and being the first user to place a hold on books that are on order has been very important to me. Sometimes even being the first person on the hold list for a new book does not mean that I am able to read the copy when it arrives. Someone at headquarters uses very potent perfume.

Being able to borrow ebooks from my library increases the number of titles that I am able to read. It hasn't reduced the number of paper books I borrow; it has increased the number of titles available to me.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #52
Andreiuta
Zealot
Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Overall I borrow less than before and when I do it it's primarily (present or past) bestsellers that cost too much to buy without first reading them. I would borrow more, but both my regional eLibrary and the central one are rather poorly supplied with ebooks.

(BTW, I still borrow hard copies, but much less frequent and only books that I can't find in the electronic format.)
Andreiuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #53
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
I usually go for the physical book before the ebook version but in areas with horrible libraries or no access to reading material my ebook sees more action than real books. I tend to prefer the physical book though if I have a choice in the matter.
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #54
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
I've gone entirely digital. My last holdout (the Monster Blood Tattoo books) are available on the Kindle with the original art. *happy swoon*.

For those who have never heard of them, they're a YA fantasy series by D. M. Cornish, who happens to be a talented artist as well as writer.

I do still check ebooks out of the library, but they're not read-able on my kindle. I just check them out to be counted as an "ebook user" and let them expire unread. I do sometimes read them on my Android phone. I'm considering making the jump to a Sony reader but I'm nervous about cutting the cord between me and my Kindle, because of the feature set.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #55
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Why impose an artificial limitation on reading books

What sort of world do we live in?
One where people are reasonably honest and don't have 20 Million Karma
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #56
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Physical libraries are still great places to go for research. Often I go looking for one book, and find several others that are equally pertinent to the information I'm seeking.

And if I like a book I've checked out, and believe it could come in handy in the future, I seek out an ebook edition or, failing that, a hardcover edition to purchase.

Libraries rock.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:02 AM   #57
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Physical libraries are still great places to go for research. Often I go looking for one book, and find several others that are equally pertinent to the information I'm seeking.

And if I like a book I've checked out, and believe it could come in handy in the future, I seek out an ebook edition or, failing that, a hardcover edition to purchase.

Libraries rock.
My experience too! Whether research or fiction, I have found some of my favorite (later purchased) books/authors from browsing in the stacks at my local library.

Libraries do rock, and adding ebooks just makes them rock harder!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:10 AM   #58
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You have a typo in your instructions.
Quote:
In this survey please click
one choice from Section 1, and
one choice from Section 3, and
THREE TOP CHOICES in Section 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisarippel View Post
I am a librarian.

I would like to know how starting to read eBooks on an eReader, smartphone or laptop/computer has changed your borrowing habits from the library. And see whether libraries could provide eBook readers who don't use the library with something they want.

In this survey please click
one choice from Section 1, and
one choice from Section 3, and
THREE TOP CHOICES in Section 3.

Thanks so much to participating in this survey.

Chris Rippel
Great Bend, Kansas
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:27 AM   #59
SageTracey
Enthusiast
SageTracey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I'm reading more books now that I can borrow eBooks from a library. I can visit when I want too and don't have to worry about opening or closing times. eBooks are a valuable library service that will just grow and grow
SageTracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #60
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
You have a typo in your instructions.
Besides being entirely too complicated.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote