Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-17-2023, 03:03 PM   #31
Parsley
Parsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I don't mind the Libby website that much (although the mobile experience is definitely better), and I don't use the Overdrive website enough to really notice the changes. What I do deeply resent is that my primary library has broken its integration with Overdrive on my Kobo. And then Adobe breaks the books seemingly half the time.
Parsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 03:08 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
I don't mind the Libby website that much (although the mobile experience is definitely better), and I don't use the Overdrive website enough to really notice the changes. What I do deeply resent is that my primary library has broken its integration with Overdrive on my Kobo. And then Adobe breaks the books seemingly half the time.
I've never seen ADE break any eBooks from Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2023, 03:29 PM   #33
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no way to download content from the Libby site. You have to go to the library's Overdrive site to download content.
I presume the use case is to side load to some other reading software. But it seems there is a download option if you can find it.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-17-2023 at 05:29 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 04:48 PM   #34
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You can, but they make it exceedingly frustrating, hiding the option behind multiple buttons -- I have to search for it every time as I forget where it's at, Kindle options are front-and-center, and you have to decline them repeatedly.
Yeah and wonder when they'll kill that option outright
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:17 PM   #35
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
I pit a ticket in to Overdrive and this is the reply I've received. It does say you can't download loans for offline use.
They might have said that, but I just downloaded a book a few minutes ago and it worked, but they do go out of their way to make it hard to find.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-17 at 10.16.41 PM.png
Views:	68
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	202705
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2023, 12:49 AM   #36
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
There is no way to download content from the Libby site. You have to go to the library's Overdrive site to download content.
Was there ever a way to download content from the main Overdrive site? If so, I have been missing it for years. I use the main Overdrive site to search for the book I want across all of my libraries. Main Overdrive shows me which libraries have it. But to actually check out the book, the main Overdrive site sends me to the individual library site for the actual check out process.

From the individual library site checking out Kindle format or EPUB format is as simple as choosing which of the two presented buttons you click. Sometimes only one button is available if the library only has the book in one format. EPUB is the simpler option IMHO as it simply downloads the ASCM file. You then have to fulfill the ACSM file using Adobe software. The Kindle option sends you to the Amazon website and you do the check out from there. Then you go to your digital content and "Download for USB", then sideload it onto your Kindle. There's probably a simpler process for the Kindle, but the above is the way I've always done it since my Kindle is permanently kept in Airplane Mode and sideloading is the only way I can put books onto it.

Is there some other downloading process that is/was available from the main Overdrive site that is simpler (for us sideload-only folks) that I have been missing? A way where you stay on the main Overdrive site for the entire process without being moved to the individual library site for the actual check out part?
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 05:17 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Was there ever a way to download content from the main Overdrive site? If so, I have been missing it for years. I use the main Overdrive site to search for the book I want across all of my libraries. Main Overdrive shows me which libraries have it. But to actually check out the book, the main Overdrive site sends me to the individual library site for the actual check out process.

From the individual library site checking out Kindle format or EPUB format is as simple as choosing which of the two presented buttons you click. Sometimes only one button is available if the library only has the book in one format. EPUB is the simpler option IMHO as it simply downloads the ASCM file. You then have to fulfill the ACSM file using Adobe software. The Kindle option sends you to the Amazon website and you do the check out from there. Then you go to your digital content and "Download for USB", then sideload it onto your Kindle. There's probably a simpler process for the Kindle, but the above is the way I've always done it since my Kindle is permanently kept in Airplane Mode and sideloading is the only way I can put books onto it.

Is there some other downloading process that is/was available from the main Overdrive site that is simpler (for us sideload-only folks) that I have been missing? A way where you stay on the main Overdrive site for the entire process without being moved to the individual library site for the actual check out part?
You don't download form the main Overdrive site. You used the main Overdrive site to look up content you are interested in and see if any of your libraries has is.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:38 PM   #38
Parsley
Parsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I've never seen ADE break any eBooks from Overdrive.
If I don't strip the DRM (I'm not comfortable removing DRM from library books), it happens to me quite a lot.

My current library book (nonfiction) has (a) graphics that have been rescaled to unrecognizable proportions and (b) text boxes that do not wrap to the next page, so I need to make the text tiny to actually read them. To be fair, I haven't tried this one without the Adobe DRM, so it could just be a poorly made ebook.

A previous library book (graphic novel) had scaling issues that made it completely unreadable. For that one I did remove the DRM (and converted to kepub), whereupon it worked just fine. I've had multiple other books where the author's name or the cover don't show up correctly or at all, and occasional trouble with the authorization failing on me.

And then there are annoyances like forced justification of the text (I read ragged-right, because imo my Clara is too small for justified text without microtypography), forced linespacing/margins, and the stupidly small footnote links.

I have had essentially none of these problems with overdrive kepubs, despite them also having DRM.
Parsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 02:25 PM   #39
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
If I don't strip the DRM (I'm not comfortable removing DRM from library books), it happens to me quite a lot.

My current library book (nonfiction) has (a) graphics that have been rescaled to unrecognizable proportions and (b) text boxes that do not wrap to the next page, so I need to make the text tiny to actually read them. To be fair, I haven't tried this one without the Adobe DRM, so it could just be a poorly made ebook.

I don't think DRM has anything to do with it. A book with DRM removed and one with DRM decrypted have the same content. If it doesn't display directly, either the book is poorly formatted or the reader software doesn't fully support whatever formatting features the book has.
Old 07-19-2023, 02:50 PM   #40
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I don't think DRM has anything to do with it. A book with DRM removed and one with DRM decrypted have the same content. If it doesn't display directly, either the book is poorly formatted or the reader software doesn't fully support whatever formatting features the book has.
ADE just sends it as a straight ePub instead of a kepub.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 10:26 AM   #41
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Actually, you can. When you go to the book you checked out, and click on Read With..., you'll see Kindle and Libby at the top, but if you scroll down, there is and Other option. Click on that and there will a download option there for a DRM file.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 11:30 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Actually, you can. When you go to the book you checked out, and click on Read With..., you'll see Kindle and Libby at the top, but if you scroll down, there is and Other option. Click on that and there will a download option there for a DRM file.
The information I posted was what I received from Overdrive when I put in a support ticket for the login issue.
Old 07-22-2023, 03:47 PM   #43
willaful
Connoisseur
willaful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Yeah and wonder when they'll kill that option outright
I'm having concerns about not being able to send books to my kindle from the website at some point. I really don't want to have Amazon on my phone.
willaful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 11:58 AM   #44
Barty
doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by willaful View Post
I'm having concerns about not being able to send books to my kindle from the website at some point. I really don't want to have Amazon on my phone.
I don't think that'll happen; Amazon is too big. Unless they get into some kind of monetary dispute.