Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-16-2023, 04:15 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
I managed to sign in by going to https://www.overdrive.com/account/sign-in

Who knows how long it'll stay working though.

Andrew
That's brilliant! Thank you.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 08:49 AM   #17
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
But can't you download DRM ePubs on Libby also?
You can, but they make it exceedingly frustrating, hiding the option behind multiple buttons -- I have to search for it every time as I forget where it's at, Kindle options are front-and-center, and you have to decline them repeatedly.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2023, 01:55 PM   #18
rockjonn
rockjonn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The main Overdrive site no longer allows you to log in to see where you can find content. IMHO, this makes Overdrive.com basically useless as we can no longer find what libraries have what content which we could do by logging in and making a list what the libraries we belong to.
Removing the ability to log in and browse libraries on Overdrive.com greatly diminishes its usefulness, as users can no longer access and track the content available at their affiliated libraries.
rockjonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 02:21 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjonn View Post
Removing the ability to log in and browse libraries on Overdrive.com greatly diminishes its usefulness, as users can no longer access and track the content available at their affiliated libraries.
Libby is more complicated to do the same sort of search.
Old 07-16-2023, 11:02 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You can, but they make it exceedingly frustrating, hiding the option behind multiple buttons -- I have to search for it every time as I forget where it's at, Kindle options are front-and-center, and you have to decline them repeatedly.
Okay. So far I haven't used Libby. Hopefully my library will continue with Overdrive for a while yet.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2023, 12:49 AM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I noticed that too. I think they've been crippling it to further promote Libby, which is kind of awkward to use on desktop browsers.
I find it perfectly fine on desktop browser. What do you find awkward?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 12:57 AM   #22
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
One thing that I hate about the web version is that it never seems to remember me and I have to log in every time, and I can't even do it easily, I have to either pull out my phone or go through three screens and search for my library -- a complete pain in the rear.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 02:35 AM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I've taken a look at it. What I don't like about it is that, like so many web pages based on apps that are designed primarily for mobile, there so little information per screen. Spacing is wide, fonts are huge and the menu is awkward. Requires a WHOLE lot more scrolling.

I don't understand why. My wife makes websites and the software she uses automatically creates mobile sites while she's creating a desktop site. Why can't Overdrive do that with Libby? My guess is that they're catering to tablet and smartphone users.

Here's some screen grabs showing Overdrive vs. Libby. Second set of screen captures show the categories, on the side with Overdrive on its own screen with Libby. And you have to scroll several screens to get to the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	overdrive.png
Views:	74
Size:	887.7 KB
ID:	202676   Click image for larger version

Name:	libby.png
Views:	68
Size:	544.8 KB
ID:	202677   Click image for larger version

Name:	overdrive2.png
Views:	69
Size:	850.5 KB
ID:	202678   Click image for larger version

Name:	libby2.png
Views:	67
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	202679  
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 07:46 AM   #24
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Haven't you noticed the design is intended for a mobile device?

The buttons are bloody enormous and there's a ton of wasted space.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 07:55 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Okay. So far I haven't used Libby. Hopefully my library will continue with Overdrive for a while yet.
It's not the library specific site that's a problem. It's the Overdrive.com site where you can look up to see what's available in your library.

It's working for now until they delete the login page.
Old 07-17-2023, 11:52 AM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Haven't you noticed the design is intended for a mobile device?

The buttons are bloody enormous and there's a ton of wasted space.
Does not bother me at all. I use the Libby app primarily, and this makes occasional use of web browser more familiar and comfortable. I did not even web interface it existed until I encountered this thread.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 01:40 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

There is no way to download content from the Libby site. You have to go to the library's Overdrive site to download content.
Old 07-17-2023, 02:22 PM   #28
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
It's not the library specific site that's a problem. It's the Overdrive.com site where you can look up to see what's available in your library.
I'm probably misunderstanding the issue, but when I go to an individual library's Overdrive site (e.g., Boston Public Library at https://bpl.overdrive.com), there is a sign-in button and I can look up what's available at that library. In fact, I can search what's available without signing in. Is this not the case for you?

Quote:
There is no way to download content from the Libby site. You have to go to the library's Overdrive site to download content.
Not true, though Libby doesn't make it obvious. From Libby website on desktop browser go to Shelf > Manage Loans (on the book you want to download) > Read With ... > EPUB and it will download an .acsm file to your computer that you can open with ADE.

All that said, I do prefer the Overdrive website to the Libby website and will be annoyed if they phase out the Overdrive interface.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Libby acsm download.png
Views:	44
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	202691  
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 02:43 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I put a ticket in to Overdrive and this is the reply I've received. It does say you can't download loans for offline use.

Quote:
'm sorry about the delay! My name is Scott R., and I'm happy to help you.

The OverDrive app and subsequently logging in to the OverDrive site was discontinued and stopped on May 2023, I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

If you have a Windows computer, Mac computer, or a Chromebook, you can use Libby in your web browser at libbyapp.com. We suggest using the latest version of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge.

Libbyapp.com offers the same great features as the app, except the ability to download loans for offline use. You'll still be able to read and listen to your loans as long as you're connected to the internet.

You can also visit your library's hosted OverDrive site (https://bpl.overdrive.com) as these sites are still accessible.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-18-2023 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-17-2023, 02:45 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I'm probably misunderstanding the issue, but when I go to an individual library's Overdrive site (e.g., Boston Public Library at https://bpl.overdrive.com), there is a sign-in button and I can look up what's available at that library. In fact, I can search what's available without signing in. Is this not the case for you?
The main website https://www.overdrive.com used to allow you to login and setup a list of the libraries you belong to. That way you can easily search and see what content is available at your libraries. Now they've taken away the logn (but it still works for now if you know the URL). Overdrive wants you to use the Libby site to search all of your libraries.