Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-15-2023, 03:30 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Overdrive.com is now rather useless

The main Overdrive site no longer allows you to log in to see where you can find content. IMHO, this makes Overdrive.com basically useless as we can no longer find what libraries have what content which we could do by logging in and making a list what the libraries we belong to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 04:05 PM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I noticed that too. I think they've been crippling it to further promote Libby, which is kind of awkward to use on desktop browsers.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 07-15-2023 at 04:09 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2023, 04:37 PM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For future reference, I cannot recommend the Library Extension enough. The developers will even add libraries if you ask!

Alas, different titles and/or site designs constantly changing makes it less than 100% reliable. But it's still helpful when it works.
Old 07-15-2023, 04:39 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I noticed that too. I think they've been crippling it to further promote Libby, which is kind of awkward to use on desktop browsers.
The Libby website is a pain in the ass. It's not at all well thought out. I much preferred to use Overdrive to look something up. Now I can't do that and I'm stuck with Libby.
Old 07-15-2023, 04:41 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
For future reference, I cannot recommend the Library Extension enough. The developers will even add libraries if you ask!

Alas, different titles and/or site designs constantly changing makes it less than 100% reliable. But it's still helpful when it works.
Can it be set to work on Just Overdrive.com?
Advert
Old 07-15-2023, 04:52 PM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I don't see any option to add just Overdrive.com results:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-07-15 17_51_04-Window.png
Views:	108
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	202659

There are several other options though such as Hoopla, OpenLibrary, and Kobo Plus.
Old 07-15-2023, 04:54 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Libby website is a pain in the ass. It's not at all well thought out. I much preferred to use Overdrive to look something up. Now I can't do that and I'm stuck with Libby.
It's designed for mobile devices. Mobile-first design isn't bad in concept, but the way they implemented it is pretty much mobile-only.
Old 07-15-2023, 05:02 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't see any option to add just Overdrive.com results:

Attachment 202659

There are several other options though such as Hoopla, OpenLibrary, and Kobo Plus.
I'll have to ask if it can be made to only work on Overdrive.com. An option for such would be perfect.
Old 07-15-2023, 05:19 PM   #9
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
I managed to sign in by going to https://www.overdrive.com/account/sign-in

Who knows how long it'll stay working though.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 05:20 PM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post

Andrew
I had to google the link, lol. And after looking up a book still tries to redirect me to Libby.

edit: lol, turns out the 'Find it in Libby' link actually just goes to the library's Overdrive site. Misleading.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 07-15-2023 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 08:50 PM   #11
willaful
Connoisseur
willaful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Andrew
Thanks so much! Let's enjoy it while we have it. :-\
willaful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 09:08 PM   #12
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
I just use the Overdrive Link plugin for Calibre. I add the libraries where I have cards or am thinking about trying to get an out-of-state card, and let the plugin search. I have a few saved searches that allow me to see what I can borrow right now (i.e., libraries I belong to) and what I could borrow if I sign up for other libraries. This makes it easy to see how many books are exclusive to a library.

One great thing is that since books have unique IDs on Overdrive, once you do the search on a book, the plugin caches the book ID, and searches at other libraries are very fast.

And then, just click on the book and select "borrow from..." on the Overdrive Link menu, and you open the web page to borrow the book.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 09:35 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

Where there's a will, there's a way. Hopefully this will work for a while.

Why is Overdrive so adamant about Libby? Do most Overdrive users use smartphones and tablets?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 10:27 PM   #14
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Why is Overdrive so adamant about Libby? Do most Overdrive users use smartphones and tablets?
My guess would be that this is, at least partly, a response to the pressure they likely receive from publishers to reduce or outright eliminate access to media formats which can be easily de-DRMed.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 02:52 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
My guess would be that this is, at least partly, a response to the pressure they likely receive from publishers to reduce or outright eliminate access to media formats which can be easily de-DRMed.
But can't you download DRM ePubs on Libby also?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote