Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-10-2023, 11:07 AM   #1
cewong2
cewong2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Anyone know of some organizational tools

Aside from Calibre to be a library, I'm wondering if anyone might know of any tools (preferable with a GUI as opposed to command line) which could help rename ebook files. I have books with Asian Character names, and as much as I like Calibre as an organizational system, I do like to have the files organized as well without the software. But Calibre likes to rename it into latin characters, and even at that it's wrong sometimes. What I'd like to try and find is a tool that could read the meta data, and pull the Asian Character name and use that as part of the file name.

I found this project: https github com/na--/ebook-tools/ (not sure if I can post links) that did it as a bash script, but I don't know if it has support for unicode names, as I didn't try it.
cewong2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 12:20 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cewong2 View Post
Aside from Calibre to be a library, I'm wondering if anyone might know of any tools (preferable with a GUI as opposed to command line) which could help rename ebook files. I have books with Asian Character names, and as much as I like Calibre as an organizational system, I do like to have the files organized as well without the software. But Calibre likes to rename it into latin characters, and even at that it's wrong sometimes. What I'd like to try and find is a tool that could read the meta data, and pull the Asian Character name and use that as part of the file name.

I found this project: https github com/na--/ebook-tools/ (not sure if I can post links) that did it as a bash script, but I don't know if it has support for unicode names, as I didn't try it.
The reason for calibre's filename conversion is to allow the maximum compatibility across operating systems. Since calibre will save to disk or send to device with filenames including CJK glyphs, why worry about how they are stored in calibre's library. In other words, stop peeking under calibre's skirts and treat it as a black box that inputs and outputs books.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2023, 01:43 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Pretend Calibre's files don't exist. They are part of the database and not intended to be accessed directly! The Export/Save to disc functionality lets you have any filename you want. See Plugboards (?).
With Kindle, Sony and Kobo ereaders the filename exported is also irrelevant as the native readers use metadata, databases and library interfaces.

The filename only matters when export/copying to something that uses a file browser / manager to load a file to read.

Calibre also isn't a conventional "library", it's more a catalogue and ebook for ereader management system.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 12:18 AM   #4
cewong2
cewong2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The reason for calibre's filename conversion is to allow the maximum compatibility across operating systems. Since calibre will save to disk or send to device with filenames including CJK glyphs, why worry about how they are stored in calibre's library. In other words, stop peeking under calibre's skirts and treat it as a black box that inputs and outputs books.
It's meant as a backup solution that isn't tied to Calibre. Anyhow, I figured out how to use Calibre to save a copy with the Unicode characters, instead of the awful transliteration which uses Chinese for everything, (Most books are in Japanese).

For reference to anyone who is new to Calibre and looking to do the same or need files names not maligned:
Set up file name format in preferences for save to disk, then use the save to disk feature to save to whoever you want, it will save it with the Unicode name.
cewong2 is offline   Reply With Quote