Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-17-2023, 09:58 AM   #61
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I put them there.
I also mod the main body of every book I buy for ease of eye tracking (only 1 eye still works normally).

Code:
margin: .5em 0 0 0;
any line-height in a normal <P> is 1.2 (I've seen all the way from 1.1 - 2.0 )
My font size (as viewed) is the same as found on paperbacks of the 70's

I Never BULK (nuke) change until I have tracked down their actual usage. There are cases where non-standard do have use. Those get left (or adjusted separately )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 12:58 PM   #62
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Am I the only one? I can't work up any interest in my reader settings and they might be (probably are) different on all my readers at that. Don't know what fonts I use without looking (my guess is mostly Georgia) and other than having the smallest possible margins and minimized line spacing, I'm clueless. Font size changes with circumstances. In short, I'd have to post about 15 pictures.

However, I find it endlessly interesting to see what other people are reading!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2023, 01:31 PM   #63
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Am I the only one? I can't work up any interest in my reader settings and they might be (probably are) different on all my readers at that. Don't know what fonts I use without looking (my guess is mostly Georgia) and other than having the smallest possible margins and minimized line spacing, I'm clueless. Font size changes with circumstances. In short, I'd have to post about 15 pictures.

Heh. For my part, I'm not particularly interested in what others are reading. I am, however, interested in how they're reading, hence the thread.

It's the same with other parts of the forum. I almost never visit the recommendations section or participate in discussing books (i.e. the content). I do enjoy discussing ereaders and various other aspects of ereading, like library management and such.

Goes to show how different people are. Some are tinkerers and are interested in how others tinker (or don't); some are interested in the social side of reading, but not the technical side.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 01:43 PM   #64
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:

No you are not.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 01:45 PM   #65
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Most people who couldn't care less about settings presumably ignore this thread.
Advert
Old 06-18-2023, 01:50 AM   #66
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:

I'm mostly the same, except I increase the margins and line spacing. I don't see much improvement changing the publisher's default font. Usually I have one font in use for a couple of months, before I somehow get tired of it and change to something else.

But just on my Hisense A9 I have 7 reader apps in active use with different books opened up. In at least two of them I haven't changed the default font. I also have my Libra 2 (where I occasionally also read in Koreader), Leaf 2 and Nova 3, which I actively use.

If I go travelling I sometimes take a Kindle Voyage with me - again reading in both the default reader and Koreader, both with different fonts.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 04:42 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For those who do like a lot of excess space when reading, what's the reason behind it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 04:49 AM   #68
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Am I the only one? I can't work up any interest in my reader settings and they might be (probably are) different on all my readers at that.
All I change is the font size. I've never been tempted, or seen the need, to do any tinkering beyond that.
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 06:30 AM   #69
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For those who do like a lot of excess space when reading, what's the reason behind it?

I'm guessing that if people like the spacing, they don't consider it excessive?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 10:33 AM   #70
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

I'm guessing that if people like the spacing, they don't consider it excessive?
Exactly. The space between lines acts like the spaces between words: it separates the words so they don't run together. Lines that are too close to each other make me work harder because my eyes have to track the line closely without wandering, which takes much more concentration for me.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 10:56 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does anyone use the third setting on a Kindle? That's the one with the largest margins.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 12:48 PM   #72
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Does anyone use the third setting on a Kindle? That's the one with the largest margins.
I consider ALL the available Margin settings on my K4 Excessive.
(Someone posted the file I can hand edit, to allow me to set it to 10. This lasts until I use the menu for other settings saved in the file. This is another reason I edit all CSS before sending. one standard set of SIZES)

Paper has side margins to keep type away from the edges and allow for small trimming variations and give a place to hold the book without having fingers resting ON the text.

EVERY reader I have owned (5 to date), has a BEZEL. Even my phone (not used for reading) has one. So the need for other than a tiny margin to compensate for 'over scan' or slight misalignment of the display under the bezel is all that is needed for basic body text.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 02:41 PM   #73
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Symmetry. For me a text that is not symmetrical is an aesthetically ugly text and I find it unpleasant to read. In fact all the promotional images of Kobo e-readers have wide side margins, very different from the pictures published here. I agree more with Kobo's advertisers. Depending on the reading software I use (which varies a lot from one e-reader to another), I adjust the margins more or less, but I always try to keep the text as symmetrical as possible. With headers and footers, I find it impossible to use a narrow side margin. I prefer to sacrifice text in favour of aesthetics. But like almost everything in this life it is a matter of personal taste.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IO_Angle_Black_EN_1078x1078.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	202113   Click image for larger version

Name:	AlReaderX.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	543.4 KB
ID:	202114  
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 03:27 PM   #74
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
Symmetry. For me a text that is not symmetrical is an aesthetically ugly text and I find it unpleasant to read. In fact all the promotional images of Kobo e-readers have wide side margins, very different from the pictures published here. I agree more with Kobo's advertisers. Depending on the reading software I use (which varies a lot from one e-reader to another), I adjust the margins more or less, but I always try to keep the text as symmetrical as possible. With headers and footers, I find it impossible to use a narrow side margin. I prefer to sacrifice text in favour of aesthetics. But like almost everything in this life it is a matter of personal taste.
I too like my margins more or less the same size, but I'm not willing to sacrifice text. I sacrifice headers and footers instead and only use the progress bar to indicate where I am in the book.
Old 06-18-2023, 03:41 PM   #75
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I turn off both headers and footers. If I want to check my progress, I can open the menu to do that, instead of wasting screen real estate on information that I don't need 99% of the time. I don't need to check my reading progress frequently on a good book, because I'm too busy reading it. If I need a constant reminder of my progress, then it's probably a good indication that I'm wasting my time by reading the book at all, because I'm not enjoying it.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote